PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

This team needs blue chip talent regardless of position. What we shouldn't be doing is reaching for a lesser player at 14 just because its a position of need. In an ideal world need and value align at 14 but, if they don't, I'd rather we take a Nolan Smith or Bijan Robinson than reach on an average OT or WR. The good news is that if 4 QBs go in the top 13, there should be a good player fall to us - either to allow us to trade down or get a good player there.

After this season at this point. We will not have a TE under contract. We will have 3 starting CB's under contract. And only 3 OT's under contract.
Anderson, McDermott, and Stueber.
I can see OT, but not CB at 14.
I am leaning more and more TE at 14, not only for need but a dynamic playmaker. KC used the TE'S more to compliment the WR's.

14 is too early for any of the TEs available this year, especially when we are Desperate for 1st-round talent at Both Left Tackle And Outside CB.

I agree with this 100 percent. With 1 of our fourth round picks, we should take battle of alabama and send bryant to the jets

I want Nothing to do with Any of the Alabama Safeties... But I also wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Billy takes Brian Branch in the 1st round, at 14 or wherever...

The thing about the top 3 CB's (Gonzo-Witherspoon-Porter) is that there are several excellent options after them in Banks, Forbes, Ringo, and Smith. So that may make a trade down more likely.
Yeah if those 3 are gone before 14 then I don't take a CB at 14.

With OT, a question is how do the Pats view Trent at LT? are they happy with him there or do they want to move him to RT? The top LT's appear to be Johnson and Jones, and one may be there at 12-14. LT Harrison should be there at the end of r1 if we trade down. If we're ok with Trent at LT, then we can get a RT in the 2nd round.
Even if it is indeed Trent Brown again at LT (or Reilly Reiff; I just can't imagine Calvin Anderson winning the starting job), how much longer will that last? One more year, if that? We need a Left Tackle, Right Now.

With WR,BB may feel he's already invested enough in that position with JuJu and with Gesicki as a receiving TE. Plus they may be very bullish on Thornton. I don't see us taking a WR in r1 or 2 unless we trade down and have two 2nd's.

Neither do I, though if even after a trade-down JSN is still available, that would be very tempting...

In a perfect world yes but we are in a position where we need a starter at tackle or we are relying on Reily Reif. If there is a Tackle who they like that is available at 14 surely you pick rather than risk losing him?

If they like the player but feel his value is only at 20 or 24 or 36, they're going to trade down. That's all there is to it. BB isn't going to over-pay. He's never done that with a 1st round pick. A lock-down corner who you control for 7 years (5+2) such as Gonzalez or Witherspoon is worth as much as that starting tackle.

If someone makes them an offer to trade back from 14 and they think the guys they want will still be there, they'll trade back.

You have no idea what the Patriots will be relying on in regards to the tackles. None at all. Just like I don't. For all we know, Brown is shifting back to RT, Strange is kicking out to LT and the Pats will be focused on drafting Darnell Wright in the 2nd round. OR Brown could stay at LT with an open competition between Reiff, McDermott, Anderson, Cajuste and Stueber for the starting RT position with Washington learning behind Brown. You sitting there and saying anything with certainty like "We' be relying on Reilly Reiff" is just silly and shows a very limited understanding of who we have on the roster at this point.

Again, you claimed "common sense", but there was nothing you offered that fell into that category.

To me LT is the no brainer here if a blue chip one falls this far. We are much better at getting CB in the later rounds. ILB would also be a higher priority here than CB again as long as an elite prospect is there.

After that I would say DE and last CB. I want nothing to do with a WR for this pick.

2 questions:

What if both a top CB and a top OT are available - eg both Gonzo and Broderick Jones? Who do we take?

If the last of the 5 top CB's/OT's are available at 12, do we sacrifice our high 4th to trade up to Houston's 12 spot and jump ahead of the Jets?

Mel Kiper has the Patriots taking Gonzalez at 14, but I just do not understand why the draft "experts" keep undervaluing CBs. Corner is the most difficult position to fill and almost all teams are desperate to find quality CBs. I expect a run on CBs before 14 and Gonzalez will be long gone.

So then the Patriots will trade back and hope that a second tier CB or OT will be available, but will it work?

If they like the player but feel his value is only at 20 or 24 or 36, they're going to trade down. That's all there is to it. BB isn't going to over-pay. He's never done that with a 1st round pick. A lock-down corner who you control for 7 years (5+2) such as Gonzalez or Witherspoon is worth as much as that starting tackle.

If someone makes them an offer to trade back from 14 and they think the guys they want will still be there, they'll trade back.

You have no idea what the Patriots will be relying on in regards to the tackles. None at all. Just like I don't. For all we know, Brown is shifting back to RT, Strange is kicking out to LT and the Pats will be focused on drafting Darnell Wright in the 2nd round. OR Brown could stay at LT with an open competition between Reiff, McDermott, Anderson, Cajuste and Stueber for the starting RT position with Washington learning behind Brown. You sitting there and saying anything with certainty like "We' be relying on Reilly Reiff" is just silly and shows a very limited understanding of who we have on the roster at this point.

Again, you claimed "common sense", but there was nothing you offered that fell into that category.
How does Cole strange fit into The bill doesn't over pay theory? sure they traded back but do you think they had Cole rated as a first rounder? Does that pick not seem like a reach/overpay even at 29?

And sure no one knows their plan for the tackles and pre draft debate is all about hyperthetical situations but does that mean that you can't debate it because no one knows for sure what plans they have? I mentioned Reily Reif rather than all the tackles because my belief is that he is the front runner for that spot just based on his contract situation and experience vs the others but you could substitute Reifs name for every tackle you have listed and my concern would be the same.

So to really nail the common sense you need I'll rephrase my comment to.

"All things being equal and there being a tackle and CB available that they rate equally as a 14th pick i would prefer to take a tackle over a corner as the depth at corner is reported to be so much greater that i think you can still get a better corner in the 2nd rd than you could a tackle as the depth at tackle seems to be less this year and if there are no moves on the line such as changing Strange to tackle or other events that at this time are unforeseen i wouldn't be confident with one of Steuber, Cadjuste, Mcdermott, Anderson or Rief playing oppositte Brown who may be the LT or RT depending on what the patriots decide to do."

I hope that meets with your approval.

2 questions:

What if both a top CB and a top OT are available - eg both Gonzo and Broderick Jones? Who do we take?
Jones. Brady had Light & Solder; Mac's had Lose/Lose & Big Brown(stain)... 'Nuff sed.

If the last of the 5 top CB's/OT's are available at 12, do we sacrifice our high 4th to trade up to Houston's 12 spot and jump ahead of the Jets?

Hold your water.

Probably have to include the top 6th rounder too to even things out, but jumping the Jets while keeping 46 and 76 seems like a win. My concern would be that the Texans already have 12 picks and may not be so interested in netting two more in a trade down. The top two 4ths and 14 for 11 could make sense too since the Titans only have 6 picks, conveniently including none in the 4th.

As long as we don't take a running back, I'm good. I've seen mocks having us taking two running backs. I like Strong and Kevin Harris.

14 is too early for any of the TEs available this year, especially when we are Desperate for 1st-round talent at Both Left Tackle And Outside CB.
Sam la porta is the next kittle. Draft him at 76 if available .

Mel Kiper has the Patriots taking Gonzalez at 14, but I just do not understand why the draft "experts" keep undervaluing CBs. Corner is the most difficult position to fill and almost all teams are desperate to find quality CBs. I expect a run on CBs before 14 and Gonzalez will be long gone.

So then the Patriots will trade back and hope that a second tier CB or OT will be available, but will it work?
I do think mocks are projecting receivers too high and corners not high enough. I doubt Porter Jr. goes before 14 though. So I think the run of corners before 14 would only be two.

I'm hoping for a top 3 tackle, rather than a corner but I think it's more likely 3 OT go before 14 than 3 corners.

I do think mocks are projecting receivers too high and corners not high enough. I doubt Porter Jr. goes before 14 though. So I think the run of corners before 14 would only be two.

I'm hoping for a top 3 tackle, rather than a corner but I think it's more likely 3 OT go before 14 than 3 corners.
My suspicion is that Porter might be available.

How does Cole strange fit into The bill doesn't over pay theory? sure they traded back but do you think they had Cole rated as a first rounder? Does that pick not seem like a reach/overpay even at 29?

The fact that you think that Bill reached for Strange speaks volumes, honestly.

How many times do people have to be told that there were MULTIPLE TEAMS that had a 1st/2nd round grade on Cole Strange before you understand it? HMM??? Seriously. It's been brought up every single time someone like yourself has trotted out the "Cole Strange was a reach" BS since he was drafted. Go back and look at the Cole Strange Thread. There were several articles in there about the other teams who were angling to get Strange.

No fewer than 5 teams including the Patriots had a grade of Late 1st/Early 2nd on Strange. Tampa, Seattle, Tennessee, and Minnesota were the others that we KNOW about. In fact, there was a story that, prior to the Pats drafting Strange, Minny had a deal in place to jump Seattle so they could take him because they had found out that Seattle wanted him.

As for you trying to "nail common sense", no one is holding their breath for that to happen.

The fact that you think that Bill reached for Strange speaks volumes, honestly.

How many times do people have to be told that there were MULTIPLE TEAMS that had a 1st/2nd round grade on Cole Strange before you understand it? HMM??? Seriously. It's been brought up every single time someone like yourself has trotted out the "Cole Strange was a reach" BS since he was drafted. Go back and look at the Cole Strange Thread. There were several articles in there about the other teams who were angling to get Strange.

No fewer than 5 teams including the Patriots had a grade of Late 1st/Early 2nd on Strange. Tampa, Seattle, Tennessee, and Minnesota were the others that we KNOW about. In fact, there was a story that, prior to the Pats drafting Strange, Minny had a deal in place to jump Seattle so they could take him because they had found out that Seattle wanted him.

As for you trying to "nail common sense", no one is holding their breath for that to happen.
No one? You think you talk for everyone on here?

I think It's fair to say that Strange split opinion even amongst the NFL with Sean Mcvay saying they wanted him in the 3rd-4th rd so i'm more comfortable than others like yourself may be with the idea that opinions may differ from my own.

I rephrased my comment and it seems to have got through your approval filter as you haven't found anything to criticise so i'll just leave it there.

Sam la porta is the next kittle. Draft him at 76 if available .

I like Tucker Kraft a bit better for that role, especially for his blocking ability. Either way, if Billy doesn't screw up his first couple of picks then maybe he can afford to take a TE in the 3rd round...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back