PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

Peppers is a SS. He wants to be a SS. He’s modeled his Patriots game after Chung. He has a SS mentality. He would be out of position if he played FS.

Its important that our starting FS understands the defense inside and out. It’s better to have someone like Jo Jones or Mills play FS…they would know their responsibilities there similar to how DMAC did when he moved to FS. Also Jo Jones is fast..that’s important.

We have Jack Jones and Mills on the outside with Ma Jones on the inside with Wade as a backup there.

Bryant should never see the field. Seriously…not even be allowed to look at. I’m not a fan of Bledsoe unless he is wearing #11.

IMO we still need a CB in rounds 1 or 2. OT and then CB or CB and then OT…I don’t care.
KEEP BRYANT OFF THE FIELD?

The best way to do that is to NOT move a starting CB or even a backup CB to safety.

I know it's been discussed before, but they really need to move the draft up. It should have been a week ago. Looked it up and couldn't believe it's in another 3 weeks.

The best way to do that is to NOT move a starting CB or even a backup CB to safety.
The best way to keep Bryant off the field is to draft multiple CB’s with one of them in the 1st 2 rounds.

I agree with this 100 percent. With 1 of our fourth round picks, we should take battle of alabama and send bryant to the jets

Ken - Who are you counting as the 3rd beyond Jackson and Butler? (Who were elected as 2nd team All-Pro). Jon Joes hasn't been elected as one.

The last CORNER that the Pats drafted that became an "All-Pro" was Samuel. Logan Ryan was never one. I don't count D-Mac because they moved him to Safety.
Sorry I thought Jones made one when he was just playing in the slot. If he didn't then the correct sentence should have been something like, "the Pats have found 3 good starting CB's out of the UDFA pool in the last decade or so.". Sorry about that.

Sorry I thought Jones made one when he was just playing in the slot. If he didn't then the correct sentence should have been something like, "the Pats have found 3 good starting CB's out of the UDFA pool in the last decade or so.". Sorry about that.

No worries, Ken. I was just wondering if I slept through one.. Not to mention that it's hard to keep track since they started doing a 2nd Team All-Pro.

We need a running mate with Barrmore, Twin Peaks DL, 14th pick. Bring pressure is the best way to stop running qb's. Got to beat Buffalo first.

We need a running mate with Barrmore, Twin Peaks DL, 14th pick. Bring pressure is the best way to stop running qb's. Got to beat Buffalo first.
The more I think on it the more I'm coming to the fact that even while CB is a critical needs, its also one of the deepest positions out there. Breesee and Van Ness are 2 guys I see being worth the pick for different reasons. Right now my dream draft would be the stud DT or DE in the first, a good big CB prospect ike Brent in the 2nd and decent OT prospect like Bergeron in the third. I can even see them dropping to up to 10 spots to grab another lowish 2nd and then trade both those picks to move up to the high part of the 2nd to get a guy like Brent.

At 14 -

Plan A: LT Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson
Plan B: CB Christian Gonzalez or JPorterJr... I would include Devon Witherspoon, but I don't know if he can stay outside in the NFL.
If none of those 4/5 are available then it's Trade-Down Time.

Plan A, after trade-down: Oklahoma LT Anton Harrison
Plan B: WR JSN, Quentin Johnston or Zay Flowers (ahead of Jordan Addison), unless Jeudy has been acquired by then.
Dark Horses: TE Darnell Washington (ahead of Kincaid and Way Ahead of Mayer) and DE Lukas Van Ness.

Just Say Nyet to ANY DTs, LBs, Safeties, RBs & QBs with our first pick.
I like this game plan. Look for one of those specific OT's or CB's at 14 (or possibly even move up a couple of spots for a 4th to get him). If they're all gone then move down, where there should still be a number of good OT-CB-WR options. The trade down could either be to the 17-19 range for a 3rd, or to the 22-26 range to get a 2nd rounder.

The more I think on it the more I'm coming to the fact that even while CB is a critical needs, its also one of the deepest positions out there. Breesee and Van Ness are 2 guys I see being worth the pick for different reasons. Right now my dream draft would be the stud DT or DE in the first, a good big CB prospect ike Brent in the 2nd and decent OT prospect like Bergeron in the third. I can even see them dropping to up to 10 spots to grab another lowish 2nd and then trade both those picks to move up to the high part of the 2nd to get a guy like Brent.
Yes! The 14th pick is a opening day starter. He gonna be young, big, and fast like Barrmore plus Nasty. Seen the combine and them big boys can run fast!

The thing about the top 3 CB's (Gonzo-Witherspoon-Porter) is that there are several excellent options after them in Banks, Forbes, Ringo, and Smith. So that may make a trade down more likely.

With OT, a question is how do the Pats view Trent at LT? are they happy with him there or do they want to move him to RT? The top LT's appear to be Johnson and Jones, and one may be there at 12-14. LT Harrison should be there at the end of r1 if we trade down. If we're ok with Trent at LT, then we can get a RT in the 2nd round.

With WR,BB may feel he's already invested enough in that position with JuJu and with Gesicki as a receiving TE. Plus they may be very bullish on Thornton. I don't see us taking a WR in r1 or 2 unless we trade down and have two 2nd's.

Last edited:
The thing about the top 3 CB's (Gonzo-Witherspoon-Porter) is that there are several excellent options after them in Banks, Forbes, Ringo, and Smith. So that may make a trade down more likely.

With OT, a question is how do the Pats view Trent at LT? are they happy with him there or do they want to move him to RT? The top LT's appear to be Johnson and Jones, and one may be there at 12-14. LT Harrison should be there at the end of r1 if we trade down. If we're ok with Trent at LT, then we can get a RT in the 2nd round.

With WR,BB may feel he's already invested enough in that position with JuJu and with Gesicki as a receiving TE. Plus they may be very bullish on Thornton. I don't see us taking a WR in r1 or 2 unless we trade down and have two 2nd's.

With OT, How they view Trent doesn't actually matter. He's on the last year of his deal and will be 31 when it's over. They NEED a starting LT for the future.

They also need a starting RT now. Whether that's Anderson, McDermott, Stueber, Reiff, Brown or a draft pick. They need someone.
That being said, it's why I don't see them taking a WR or TE before the 3rd round unless they add another draft pick in the top 50.

The draft points to the future. That being said, an OT may very well start.

We need a 2024 starter at RT, LT and perhaps C.

With Cb being so deep common sense says OT at 14 and Cb at 46 my concern is we havent seen a huge amount of common sense from Bill and the Pats recently.

With Cb being so deep common sense says OT at 14 and Cb at 46 my concern is we havent seen a huge amount of common sense from Bill and the Pats recently.

The problem is that the OTs aren't graded as highly as the CBs. You don't reach. If the CB you want isn't there, You trade back, add a 2nd or 3rd rounder and get the OT you want in the 20s. Otherwise, you take the CB. THAT'S common sense.

Maybe the problem is that what you think is "common sense" really isn't.

With OT, How they view Trent doesn't actually matter. He's on the last year of his deal and will be 31 when it's over. They NEED a starting LT for the future.

They also need a starting RT now. Whether that's Anderson, McDermott, Stueber, Reiff, Brown or a draft pick. They need someone.
That being said, it's why I don't see them taking a WR or TE before the 3rd round unless they add another draft pick in the top 50.
TE I agree WR I don't agree WR definitely from Second Round on.

The problem is that the OTs aren't graded as highly as the CBs. You don't reach. If the CB you want isn't there, You trade back, add a 2nd or 3rd rounder and get the OT you want in the 20s. Otherwise, you take the CB. THAT'S common sense.

Maybe the problem is that what you think is "common sense" really isn't.
In a perfect world yes but we are in a position where we need a starter at tackle or we are relying on Reily Reif. If there is a Tackle who they like that is available at 14 surely you pick rather than risk losing him?

No matter who the Pats pick on offense or defense with their first pick, he has to be a difference maker from the day he steps foot on the practice field. Bill cannot keep drafting decent starters. The team needs a catalyst type player.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back