PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots rank #2 in chances of making the postseason per Football Outsiders

I seem to see a lot written about how the Patriots have it made playing in the AFC East, but seldom see anything similar written about the Broncos and the AFC West.

AFCW 2012 records outside the division
7-4 -- Denver Broncos (lost to Atl, Hous, Pats, Balt)
3-7 -- San Diego Chargers (beat Tenn, Pitt, Jets)
2-8 -- Oakland Raiders (beat Jax, Pitt)
2-8 -- Kansas City Chiefs (beat Saints, Panthers)

AFCE 2012 records outside the division
7-5 -- New England Patriots (lost to Ariz, Balt, Sea, SF, Balt)
5-5 -- Miami Dolphins (beat Oak, Cincy, Rams, Seattle, Jax)
4-6 -- Buffalo Bills (beat KC, Cle, Ariz, Jax)
4-6 -- New York Jets (beat Indy, Rams, Ariz, Jax)

Entire Division
AFCE: 20-22 (48% wins)
AFCW: 14-27 (34%)

Excluding Top Club
AFCE: 13-17 (43%)
AFCW: 7-23 (23%)

- In 2011 there were zero teams with a winning record in the AFCW
- The AFCW has not collectively had a winning record since 2006

...Their schedule is still relatively easy, but not as easy as you make it out to be...

The schedule is what I pointed it out to be.

You're taking an entire division of higher level mediocrities (NFCE) and pumping its tires. I'm pointing out that the NFCE doesn't have any (expected) top level teams.

Denver's only losses last year were to

Texans
Patriots
Falcons

They weren't dropping games to the mid-tier teams. That's not a guarantee that it won't happen this year but, when you're talking about the likes of the NFCE and the Colts, it's not as if you're talking about defensive juggernauts that should be shutting down the Denver offense.

I also noted the possibility of a team in the AFCE/AFCW changing the dynamics in two separate posts, but you must have missed that part.

The schedule is what I pointed it out to be.

You're taking an entire division of higher level mediocrities (NFCE) and pumping its tires. I'm pointing out that the NFCE doesn't have any (expected) top level teams.

Denver's only losses last year were to

Texans
Patriots
Falcons

They weren't dropping games to the mid-tier teams. That's not a guarantee that it won't happen this year but, when you're talking about the likes of the NFCE and the Colts, it's not as if you're talking about defensive juggernauts that should be shutting down the Denver offense.

I also noted the possibility of a team in the AFCE/AFCW changing the dynamics in two separate posts, but you must have missed that part.

I am doing nothing. I am stating what everyone else is stating. The NFCE does not have an elite team, but has three teams capable of 9-11 wins and making the playoffs. Possibly a fourth team although I don't hold much hope for Philly being more than a 7 win team this year. They are arguably a tougher division than the AFC South which has one Super Bowl contender and three teams that went sub .500 last year. Personally, I find a division with three mid-tier teams capable beating any team on a good day far tougher than a division with one Super Bowl contender and a bunch of 6-10 or worse teams.

As for who the Broncos will win or lose to, that will be determined last year. They mostly last year played very good teams or very horrible teams last year. Even you were saying they were paper tigers because of their schedule last year and predicted a huge win by the Ravens.

Name the set of receivers that Brady had a bad season with?

Excellent, excellent point. Brady is one of those rare guys who makes everybody better, just like Larry Bird and Bill Russell.

Deion Branch and David Givens came in as rookies in 2002 and left New England with two Super Bowl rings. Both scored a big contract after the Pats (Branch with the Seahawks and Givens with the Titans.) Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins have the opportunity of a lifetime to do the same.

There are only two receivers who will be in the Hall of Fame that played a significant amount of time with Brady - Moss and Welker. Moss brought everything to the table. Welker, on the other hand, needed a Tom Brady to have the career that he's had.

These kids and Amendola will have career building seasons if they stay healthy and keep their heads in the game. An opportunity of a lifetime. I hope they make the most of it.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back