Reaction score
Patriots Make Interesting Coaching Changes Before 2020 NFL Season

Blue = New Title / New to Team

Offense:
OC - Josh McDaniels
QB Coach - Jedd Fisch
RB Coach - Ivan Fears
Asst. Running Back Coach / Kick Return Coach - Troy Brown
WR Coach - Mick Lombardi (son of Mike Lombardi)
OL Coaches- Cole Popovich and Carmen Bricillo
TE Coach - Nick Caley

Offensive Assistant - Tyler Hughes

Defense:
D-Line Coach - Demarcus Covington
ILB Coach - Jerod Mayo
OLB Coach - Stephen Belichick
CB Coach - Mike Pelligrino
Safeties Coach - Brian Belichick

Defensive Asst - Vinnie Sunseri

Special Team - Cam Achford
Asst. Spec. Teams - Joe Houston

I think this is the biggest coaching staff that BB has had in a long time.

Steve to OLBs is interesting. That’s a significantly smaller group of players than in his role last year that included some time focusing on safeties and some time with the entire secondary. It makes a ton of sense from the standpoint of giving him a well-rounded foundation to be a defensive coordinator candidate someday, though.

I had been wondering if there would be an attempt to replace Bob Fraser’s experience on defense, and the answer is no. He was just a coaching assistant last season, but has been coaching football longer than any of the defensive position coaches have been alive (35 years).

Still no DC, which is interesting.. who will emerge Mayo or Steven B??

Troy is getting more responsibility, probably rightfully so.. groomed to take over for Ivan Fears??

Steven B. to Outside Linebackers.. more experience for him.

Brian Belichick as Safeties Coach, born to the breed.

Funny they added Troy Brown a position and made a new Wide Receiver Coach, who is not Troy.

I had been wondering if there would be an attempt to replace Bob Fraser’s experience on defense, and the answer is no. He was just a coaching assistant last season, but has been coaching football longer than any of the defensive position coaches have been alive (35 years).
he was brought in because of ill fated Greg Schiano's hiring... otherwise he wouldn't have been here... kinda like Indy dealing with the staff McD assembled before he walked away from that position... he may have had a lot of institutional knowledge, but he wasn't an integral part of this defense... no big loss

Bugs me how BB preaches you get what you earn but then has 2 sons on coaching staff.

Funny they added Troy Brown a position and made a new Wide Receiver Coach, who is not Troy.

I read somewhere (like a day ago) that the RBs have to do a lot of catching and running, usually via short pass/in a crowd, and that Troy was pretty knowledgeable in this part of the game.

Bugs me how BB preaches you get what you earn but then has 2 sons on coaching staff.

I don't understand how "you get what you earn" and "having 2 sons on the coaching staff" are contradictory. Especially since both of them have worked their way up from the very ground level.

What is the issue, they have been interning on the team for years before they got the job.

Because we have no clue if they got their based on their talent or because they are his sons. If the latter, it is a disadvantage to the team.

You would never see a CEO have 2 of their kids on their executive team...they call it nepotism.

Because we have no clue if they got their based on their talent or because they are his sons. If the latter, it is a disadvantage to the team.

You would never see a CEO have 2 of their kids on their executive team...they call it nepotism.

WTF are you talking about? We don't know that it's based on their talent? Maybe YOU don't because you haven't bothered to actually read the articles that have been done on them. Others here DO know that it's based on their talent and that BB doesn't engage in nepotism in that respect. There have been numerous execs who have worked for the Patriots have said as much.

Have you bothered to pay attention to the improvements of the secondary in the past few years with Steve Belichick being their position coach? He spenty the last 4 years there. Are you seriously just now complaining?

Brian Belichick spent the last 4 years as a coaching assistant. Do you really think that the other coaches that have been on the team that BB respects would have kept silent if he sucked?

The only aspect that you can call nepotism is the way they got their foot into the door. Since then they have worked their way up from ground level and by all accounts earned their place. Especially after last season's defensive performance I don't see how anyone would have an issue with Stephen Belichick.

If you have an issue with how they got started then I have a shocking story for you about how almost all coaches have gotten their job through networking or family connections.

Hell, even BB only got his first job because of his father.

Last edited:

After 6 World Championship banners Belichick has earned the right to have his whole family on the payroll.

I do feel a little uneasy about how blatant the good ole boy club and nepotism is so pervasive. All the Lombardi's Belichick's , Wolfs, Shanahans, Grudens, etc etc. It's actually a little sickening. And people wonder why nfl management has zero relationship with the player demographics

I do feel a little uneasy about how blatant the good ole boy club and nepotism is so pervasive. All the Lombardi's Belichick's , Wolfs, Shanahans, Grudens, etc etc. It's actually a little sickening. And people wonder why nfl management has zero relationship with the player demographics

BB keeps winning and by all accounts the JRs have excellent work ethics and get along well with players.

On another coaching note, Raiders played make believe and told the athletes that Gruden tested positive and was in hospital.

BB doesn’t play games.

Patriots Make Interesting Coaching Changes Before 2020 NFL Season

Blue = New Title / New to Team

Offense:
OC - Josh McDaniels
QB Coach - Jedd Fisch
RB Coach - Ivan Fears
Asst. Running Back Coach / Kick Return Coach - Troy Brown
WR Coach - Mick Lombardi
(son of Mike Lombardi)
OL Coaches- Cole Popovich and Carmen Bricillo
TE Coach - Nick Caley

Offensive Assistant - Tyler Hughes

Defense:
D-Line Coach - Demarcus Covington
ILB Coach - Jerod Mayo
OLB Coach - Stephen Belichick
CB Coach - Mike Pelligrino
Safeties Coach - Brian Belichick

Defensive Asst - Vinnie Sunseri

Special Team - Cam Achford
Asst. Spec. Teams - Joe Houston

I think this is the biggest coaching staff that BB has had in a long time.

Interesting that he still hasnt named a defensive coordinator, must like the duo of Mayo and Steve with his oversight. That is 2 different defensive minds that O coordinators have to figure out, with different tendencies

I don't understand how "you get what you earn" and "having 2 sons on the coaching staff" are contradictory. Especially since both of them have worked their way up from the very ground level.

the "anti-corruption" position is always that the appearance of impropriety from hiring relatives outweighs whatever argument you would make that just coincidentally, out of the 7 billion people on earth (or the still sizeable group who would want jobs coaching on an NFL team,) your own flesh and blood happen to be the best qualified.

Any reasonable person would just assume the fix is in, which undermines the system even if, as is very unlikely, your relatives are indeed the best qualified.

A second problem is that no matter how well you make other judgments, with relatives, assuming that you are a living being, you have an imperative to favor your own. This imperative would worm its way into whatever logical arguments you muster in their favor.

No, the Kim family does not just happen to have a knack for governmental excellence in the DPRK.

Why would you care? The only thing I care about is results. We know they got the opportunity to intern becasue of their relation to bill, but in the 4 years that Steve has been a coach not one player who left has ever noted any incompetence in his performance. We heard criticism of pepper Johnson, Brian Cox, Bill O Brien and other coaches from former players. Schotenhimer, Shula, McCay, Shanahan and I am sure there are plenty others qho got their start due to their fathers. Bill got his first job due to father. Hell, I got relatives jobs our of college where I worked. For you to think that he would hurt himself or his team by putting his kid in a position that he does not belong, I don't know what guy you have been watching for the last 20 years. The guy makes 10 mill a year, assistant coaches get paid about 150,000, If his kid was not qualified to be on the field Kraft would have given him a job somewhere else in his holdings for the same money.

Well you might, and it definitely would be nepotism. I mean...Trump. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down