PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots offense sees 'light at the end of the tunnel'

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I am not apologizing for horrendous scouting by other franchises. I am saying 32 NFL teams had a 1st rd grade on Wynn.

32 teams had a late rd grade on Trent Brown. It's perfectly factual and reality based.

People like you want to crown a player to be qualified here in NE based on the idea if they earned a SB ring or not.

Somehow I don’t quite believe that you have access to every teams draft board.

Comments:

1.) The money quotes from that article pasted below:

Since Week 9, the Patriots rank 30 of 32 NFL teams in scoring with 88 points. Over the last five games, this offense is averaging 17.6 points per game. In that span, the Pats are 2-3.

AND

The only two teams that have scored less since Week 9 are the Jacksonville Jaguars (11.4 points per game) and the Patriots opponent this weekend, the Cincinnati Bengals (14.8 points per game).

2.) Our offense talent-wise isn't ranked 30th in the league...I don't care what anyone tells me. In any other season, give me Brady and 10 scrubs...I am pretty sure we would rank around 20th... IOW, this offense is HISTORICALLY BAD. And there's always regression back to the mean. On one hand, we aren't as good as we were in the first 8 games....on the other hand, we ain't as bad as we have been the last 6 weeks. For that reason alone, there's hope.

3.) The weekly A22 thread set up by @PP2 really gives a lot of insight. Right now, I am seeing an OL that cannot block to save their lives for some reason. Cannon must be really sick....he has always allowed some ugly outside rushes...but not like on Sunday. Ditto for Mason.

4.) As I alluded to in the past....I am noticing that the Pats aren't very good at blocking on the move. See the below video from Lazar/CNS Sports where LaCosse and Wynn don't hold up their blocks on the move:

I have been seeing similar issues all year from our RB's, Guards, TE's, and etc... so I am not sure outside zone running is the answer for us.

Last edited:
Somehow I don’t quite believe that you have access to every teams draft board.

Somehow I don't believe that you're making a point here.

I do know Dallas loved him and they kinda know OL players. Thanks.

Comments:

Since Week 9, the Patriots rank 30 of 32 NFL teams in scoring with 88 points. Over the last five games, this offense is averaging 17.6 points per game. In that span, the Pats are 2-3.

AND

The only two teams that have scored less since Week 9 are the Jacksonville Jaguars (11.4 points per game) and the Patriots opponent this weekend, the Cincinnati Bengals (14.8 points per game).

2.) Our offense talent-wise isn't ranked 30th in the league...I don't care what anyone tells me. In any other season, give me Brady and 10 scrubs...I am pretty sure we would rank around 20th... IOW, this offense is HISTORICALLY BAD. And there's always regression back to the mean. On one hand, we aren't as good as we were in the first 8 games....on the other hand, we ain't as bad as we have been the last 6 weeks. For that reason alone, there's hope.

3.) The weekly A22 thread set up by @luuked really gives a lot of insight. Right now, I am seeing an OL that cannot block to save their lives for some reason. Cannon must be really sick....he has always allowed some ugly outside rushes...but not like on Sunday. Ditto for Mason.

4.) As I alluded to in the past....I am noticing that the Pats aren't very good at blocking on the move. See the below video from Lazar/CNS Sports where LaCosse and Wynn don't hold up their blocks on the move:

I have been seeing similar issues all year from our RB's, Guards, TE's, and etc... so I am not sure outside zone running is the answer for us.

Right, but this somehow just happened overnight because Andrews and Gronk aren't there?

Look, I love Develin too, but let's not act like running forward and be a willing blocker is rocket science here.

I am just not buying that you go from arguably the best OL in the conference playing in SBs together, still in their primes, to being garbage. It simply doesn't make sense. Andrews is very good, but the drop off from Andrews-->Karras isn't significant enough to me to point to this either.

Christ, we've been in playoff games with Ryan Wendell at C.

Regarding your video above, note how MIchel is in the game there. When he's in, the D knows it's a run.

My 2 back set suggestion would almost eliminate the predictability of that almost completely, as long as they also throw to all of the RBs.

When Brady threw early to Michel last week, I had a football boner. But, McDoofus goes right back to the subbing the RB addiction problem, based on the play they want to run.

He's such an idiot. He's been doing that for years. When you are not playing a Zone D, you can't get away with that kind of stupidity.

Using 2 RBs on one drive, almost guarantees one RB will be matched up on a MLB.

Put Brown into the current OL situation and he will not look substantially better.

That's ridiculous.

Talking up Wynn's potential is one thing. Makings delusional claims about current ability and level is another.

Right, but this somehow just happened overnight because Andrews and Gronk aren't there?

Look, I love Develin too, but let's not act like running forward and be a willing blocker is rocket science here.

I am just not buying that you go from arguably the best OL in the conference playing in SBs together, still in their primes, to being garbage. It simply doesn't make sense. Andrews is very good, but the drop off from Andrews-->Karras isn't significant enough to me to point to this either.

Christ, we've been in playoff games with Ryan Wendell at C.

I don't know man...I agree Andrews to Karras hasn't seemed to be much of a drop off...but again I am an arm chair QB with an untrained eye....I just watch the games in real time without extensive tape review. However, we can agree that Karras to Ferentz is a huge drop off...I mean you see the A gap pressures Brady has been facing lately? Love Ferentz's effort, but we need to protect Brady!

Gronk has been missed dramatically...not only in taking 2 DB's with him every time even when he was a step slower...but in blocking. He moved bodies from all of that work in the weight room and his upper body strength....

Develin...I might be inclined to agree with you somewhat...it isn't exactly rocket science, but Develin didn't get knocked off balance when moving around like our guys are now...ran with great low center of gravity and just got UNDERNEATH defenders' pads. I thought Jakob Johnson would have helped a lot as he seemed to be quicker than Develin and a better pass catcher....now we are down to Elandon Roberts who has only played limited snaps...I think Roberts has done well considering that he is new to being a FB.

Not only Ryan Wendell....remember Russ Hochstein in SB 38 too after Warren Sapp trash talked him?

3.) The weekly A22 thread set up by @luuked really gives a lot of insight. Right now, I am seeing an OL that cannot block to save their lives for some reason. Cannon must be really sick....he has always allowed some ugly outside rushes...but not like on Sunday. Ditto for Mason.

It is @PP2 these days.

Comments:

AND

I don't know man...I agree Andrews to Karras hasn't seemed to be much of a drop off...but again I am an arm chair QB with an untrained eye....I just watch the games in real time without extensive tape review. However, we can agree that Karras to Ferentz is a huge drop off...I mean you see the A gap pressures Brady has been facing lately? Love Ferentz's effort, but we need to protect Brady!

Gronk has been missed dramatically...not only in taking 2 DB's with him every time even when he was a step slower...but in blocking. He moved bodies from all of that work in the weight room and his upper body strength....

Develin...I might be inclined to agree with you somewhat...it isn't exactly rocket science, but Develin didn't get knocked off balance when moving around like our guys are now...ran with great low center of gravity and just got UNDERNEATH defenders' pads. I thought Jakob Johnson would have helped a lot as he seemed to be quicker than Develin and a better pass catcher....now we are down to Elandon Roberts who has only played limited snaps...I think Roberts has done well considering that he is new to being a FB.

Not only Ryan Wendell....remember Russ Hochstein in SB 38 too after Warren Sapp trash talked him?

Agree. Ferentz is not good and seems too small to me. If he had technique like Andrews does, he'd be fine, but he's not good.

Yes, I do think the gap pressures are tied to mostly bad playcalling and personnel usage (on top of Ferentz not being good).

It's a multi-level problem, and that's the problem. If it was just a WR problem, or just a TE problem, or just a RB problem, or even, to an extent, just an OL problem, it would have been fixed long ago.

But, that's not the case. With the (possible, as I'm not going to argue about this right here) exception of QB, there's not a layer on offense that has not taken a huge step back this season.

light at the end of the tunnel?...heh...hope it's not the damn A train

It's a multi-level problem, and that's the problem. If it was just a WR problem, or just a TE problem, or just a RB problem, or even, to an extent, just an OL problem, it would have been fixed long ago.

But, that's not the case. With the (possible, as I'm not going to argue about this right here) exception of QB, there's not a layer on offense that has not taken a huge step back this season.

I don't think it's a huge step back at all. They're underachieving like they were last year until late in the year.

I don't believe it to be a personnel issue. Gronk was mainly a blocker last year, so I agree not having a beastly TE to block has to have some effect on the run game.

It shouldn't be this poor, though. Just not buying it.

Hopefully it's not a train they see coming towards them...

At first I thought you were referring to Einstein’s thought experiment about a training coming towards you to explain the theory of relativity. And hopefully they’re not needing to come up with a whole new understanding of physics to fix the offense.

I don't think it's a huge step back at all. They're underachieving like they were last year until late in the year.

I don't believe it to be a personnel issue. Gronk was mainly a blocker last year, so I agree not having a beastly TE to block has to have some effect on the run game.

It shouldn't be this poor, though. Just not buying it.

You buying it is irrelevant. It's been a huge step back. If you can't see that, that's YOUR issue.

So, hope that Sanu gets healthy and learns the offense. Hope that the rookie WRs play better. Hope that Wynn figures out pass blocking. Hope that Karras returns and improves. Hope the the TEs suck a little bit less. Hope that the FB position improves.

Hope all of that, as it's needed. But stop fooling yourself into thinking there hasn't been a huge step back, and that there's not a personnel issue. It has been, and there is, and the team's actions over the course of the season have verified that.

Brady saying the whole team about the figure it out means he’s going with the toradol shot after all while Alex Guerrero weeps.

"light at the end of the tunnel" is a death metaphor, yes? So, we have that going for us.

You buying it is irrelevant. It's been a huge step back. If you can't see that, that's YOUR issue.

So, hope that Sanu gets healthy and learns the offense. Hope that the rookie WRs play better. Hope that Wynn figures out pass blocking. Hope that Karras returns and improves. Hope the the TEs suck a little bit less. Hope that the FB position improves.

Hope all of that, as it's needed. But stop fooling yourself into thinking there hasn't been a huge step back, and that there's not a personnel issue. It has been, and there is, and the team's actions over the course of the season have verified that.

The talent is almost the same as last year and they're better and deeper at WR. Cordarrelle Patterson? Old man Hogan about to retire are better than Sanu and Dorsett and a 1st rd pick talent in Harry?

Again, not buying the Brady Apologist angle on this topic, because that's what the elephant in the room is.

Brady is either fading away in front of our eyes OR he's underachieving with the personnel he has.

I am going with the latter.

This isn't 2009 or 2013's offense or even 2015's with Edelman more or less on a broken foot and Steven Jackson as the lead RB.

It's not remotely close to that and the D is much better than 2013s or 2015s.

The offense underachieved last year, too, so there is hope they can flip the switch.

Yes, me or any fan who knows the sport need not buy the Brady Internet and Sports Radio Waves Apologist Club.

All of his stats are down from where they usually are. Ol' Newhouse can't be scapegoated anymore.

light-tunnel.jpg

I kid, I kid (I hope)!!!!!
thought the same thing.....

But do they have all the answers? If I’m not mistaken, a certain QB on the team is supposed to.

The talent is almost the same as last year and they're better and deeper at WR.

No, the talent is not almost the same as last year.

No, they're not better and deeper at WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes