PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have the #1 defense (PPG) in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston first game will be KC if everything stays the same. but I got the fish beating pitt and facing the pats in the Divisional

Yeah but KC is going to end with the #2 seed I think. Just my prediction, they are beating Denver by 11 with a half to go and they have San Diego at home next week for a chance at the bye week.

And Oakland has to play Denver in Denver with a back up QB.

It doesn't matter to me I think we are clearly the best team in the AFC.

Yeah but KC is going to end with the #2 seed I think. Just my prediction, they are beating Denver by 11 with a half to go and they have San Diego at home next week for a chance at the bye week.

And Oakland has to play Denver in Denver with a back up QB.

It doesn't matter to me I think we are clearly the best team in the AFC.
Be stunned if Denver beats them even with their back up QB.

Chatham has an awesome back and forth with some of stat slinging morons on Twitter.. fun to follow..

One of the highlights of the exchange..

or

Great stuff..

If the Seahawks were to give up 0 points next week, their final PPG for the season would be 16.8.

Meaning, the Patriots can give up as many as 31 points (upping to 16.7 PPG) to the Dolphins next week and still finish the season with the #1 defense in the NFL.

If the Seahawks were to give up 0 points next week, their final PPG for the season would be 16.8.

Meaning, the Patriots can give up as many as 31 points (upping to 16.7 PPG) to the Dolphins next week and still finish the season with the #1 defense in the NFL.
32 to be exact. Patriots are sitting on 236 points allowed. Seahawks on 269.

32 to be exact. Patriots are sitting on 236 points allowed. Seahawks on 269.
Doesn't this address The Who have you played factor? Patriots are not only #1 but #1 by over 2 points a game.
Considering the top 5-10 were bunched pretty close together around thanksgiving that says a lot about this defense finishing strong.

Patriots Cornerbacks Have Locked Down Receivers Since Week 10 Loss

The Patriots’ pass defense, and their secondary in particular, has turned a corner since its Week 10 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. Malcolm Butler primarily has played on the left side with Logan Ryan in the slot and Eric Rowe on the right side, save for one game in which he was out with a hamstring injury.

Here’s how Rowe, Ryan and Butler have fared combined over the past five weeks:

Rowe: 8-23, 97 yards, INT, three PBUs, 30.5 passer rating
Ryan: 13-30, 130 yards, INT, five PBUs, 42.4 passer rating
Butler: 15-27, 273 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 75.6 passer rating

:cool:

Hope Jangles is enjoying his crow. He was all over anyone who said this D wasnt half bad, half way though the year with his "but the Pats have the 3rd best points allowed LOL" crap.

The 2016 Patriots defense is consistently holding opponents -- inept as some are -- under their scoring averages

Just how good is the 2016 New England Patriots defense?

See the Patriots' opponents and their league rank in scoring below:

7. Buffalo (25.9 points per game)
11. Arizona (24.9)
12. Pittsburgh (24.8)
16. Miami (23.3)
19. Baltimore (22.2)
20. Seattle (21.9)
22. Denver (20.6)
23. Cincinnati (19.9)
27. San Francisco (19.1)
29. Houston (17.5)
30. Jets (16.3)
31. Cleveland (16.0)
32. Los Angeles (14.5)

Of course, there is a natural follow-up stat here. How many times did the Patriots hold these crappy teams below their crappy averages?

Here's the breakdown:

Scored between 1-3 points less than their average vs. Patriots
Buffalo (Week 8), Cincinnati, San Francisco, Cleveland

Scored between 4-6 points less than their average vs. Patriots
Arizona, Los Angeles

Scored 7+ points less than their average vs. Patriots
Buffalo (Week 4), Pittsburgh, Denver, Houston, Jets (Week 16)

Scored between 1-3 points more than their average vs. Patriots
Miami, Baltimore, Jets (Week 12)

Scored between 4-6 points more than their average vs. Patriots
None

Scored 7+points more than their average vs. Patriots
Seattle

This is a stat that Hightower, McCourty, Ryan and the Patriots defense will most definitely appreciate. The Pats have held 12 opponents below their average, and they have held five significantly below their average. Only one -- the wildly erratic Seahawks -- significantly outscored their average against the Patriots.

On paper, these numbers look similar to those put up by the 2014 Patriots defense, a group that held seven regular season opponents at least seven points below their scoring average.

Last edited:
And the Pats have now officially finished the regular season with the #1 scoring defense in the NFL, allowing 15.6 points per game.
Those 250 points allowed are the fewest by a Patriot team since 2006 (237) and third-fewest in the Belichick-era (after 2003 with 238). At the same time also the third-fewest amount allowed in franchise history since the introduction of the 16-game regular season.

???

I thought NE had to surrender less than 32 to lock it up no matter what SEA did.

And the Pats have now officially finished the regular season with the #1 scoring defense in the NFL, allowing 15.6 points per game.

Yeah, but can they rush the passer?

Fewest points allowed in the NFL in the last 3 seasons.

Oh, sorry, didn't look at the minus sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back