PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots get the last laugh if there is no season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid is a nightmare. So were WWs & the recent mass shooting in my province.

I think people predicting Tampa success are getting caught up in the wave of excitement. There is nothing in their past, nor in Arians’ past that suggests they are going to succeed (unless you consider a wild card loss “a success”).

Not really. Winston put them in bad spots last year. They played much better the second half of the year. They got an experienced QB now. The running game should improved as well. They had the number 1 run defense as well. 10 or more wins should be expected.

Instead of having Slugs like Josh Gordon and Phil Dropset attacking the DBs Gronk will now have Mike Evan's and Chris Godwin clearing out space. Brady to Gronk is going to be there all day long.

Brady is going to put up big numbers with actual talent to throw to instead of the little rascals that he was forced to play with in NE.

Assuming Brady's accuracy is better than it was in 2019...

Plus we get Tampa's 4th round pick for basically nothing...

The more I think about Brady and Gronk, the more I realize that them winning the super bowl in 2020 might be tougher than at first glance:

1. No OTAs, training camp up in the air. Both of them have to learn an entire new offense.

2. Definite decline in Brady and Gronk's numbers. Whether that's due to injuries to Brady or poor cast around him, who knows. With Gronk it's definitely injuries catching up.

3. Brady has never won a super bowl by winning 4 playoff games in a row. Odds are that if the Bucs make the playoffs they will have to play on wild card weekend.

4. Tampa's schedule is brutal

I see them getting into the playoffs but am not sure about their super bowl chances at this point.

1. A half a TC plus 2 preseason games and that offense will be fine by week 4, they’ll be putting points up regardless from sheer talent.

2. Brady was throwing to ****ing Ben Watson Harry, Sanu, and a broken Edelman. Literally had one person who could beat any type of coverage do you expect his numbers not to drop.

3. I wouldn’t call TB schedule that brutal first I believe there favored in 11 games already. There away games outside of division games are Chicago, Detroit, Denver, Las Vegas, and NYG. I see Chicago and LV being tough with Chicago depending on which Foles they get and when. Home games outside of division GB, KC, Minnesota, LaC, and LaR. All are tough but should easily be favored vs Rams, Chargers, and GB. I see them splitting home/away games with divisional teams at worst there 9-7

And once you actually go look at there defense last year you see they were pretty good and had a rush defense that was one of the best in the past decade. There two young CB held there own vs elite WRs the second half Hopkins (5-23yds), Julio (7-78yds and 5-68yds), Golladay(3-44yds), and Chark (2-47yds)

Or even a shortened one.

If there is a full one with Brady and Gronk tearing it up, man what a nightmare
Why would that be a nightmare? Why are fans so selfish?

OP is the type to flip the board/unplug the console if he's about to lose a game.

2. Brady was throwing to ****ing Ben Watson Harry, Sanu, and a broken Edelman. Literally had one person who could beat any type of coverage do you expect his numbers not to drop.
But all the scouts here on Patsfans told me his numbers dropped because of his "noticeable" and "precipitous" decline. :rolleyes:

Not really. Winston put them in bad spots last year. They played much better the second half of the year. They got an experienced QB now. The running game should improved as well. They had the number 1 run defense as well. 10 or more wins should be expected.
Losers find a way to lose. 2019 Browns : almost everyone had them at least winning 10. Talent was there, but so was the culture of losing.

It should be much improve. Guys will actually be open.

There were times he was missing wide open guys last year too...but yeah, he's going to be much happier with his receivers in 2020.

Other issue is coaching. Brady and Gronk don't have BB, McD, and Scarnnechia anymore. Big downgrade to Arians and Leftwich...

Look at what Brady has to learn:
  • a new system
  • a new coach, coaching staff, and support team such as medical, football preparation, etc.
  • a completely new set of players (except Gronk, although I'm very dubious about his return)
  • the defensive tendencies of divisions opponents
He's never had anything close to this learning curve in his entire career. He's been protected from ALL of this by being with the same team, and with the same system, and Belichick's consistency, his entire career. And now, he has to do it with a curtailed off season. Yes, he's smart and obviously very capable, but that's a huge hill to climb.

And @TommyBrady12, have to say its nice to be in agreement with you for once (given all the political back and forth). :)

On the other hand, I don't agree that the NFC South is a more difficult challenge than the AFC East, just because the out of division win/loss records over the years bear out a relative equality there. Regardless, that's going to be a minor factor compared to all the rest Brady faces.

I mean, there's going to be a new NFL season eventually, whether it's in 2020 or 2021. We didn't win anything.

I think people predicting Tampa success are getting caught up in the wave of excitement. There is nothing in their past, nor in Arians’ past that suggests they are going to succeed (unless you consider a wild card loss “a success”).
This.

Last year's flavor du jour was Cleveland. Now before everyone jumps on me, yes this is Tommy and Gronk. Burt let's not fool ourselves to thinking this is 2011 Gronk or 2007 Brady. Gronk hasn't played a full season since '11 and Brady will be 43. I am not predicting Cliff Kellerman, but I think we are all deluded if we expect those type of numbers.

This.

Last year's flavor du jour was Cleveland. Now before everyone jumps on me, yes this is Tommy and Gronk. Burt let's not fool ourselves to thinking this is 2011 Gronk or 2007 Brady. Gronk hasn't played a full season since '11 and Brady will be 43. I am not predicting Cliff Kellerman, but I think we are all deluded if we expect those type of numbers.
Evans doesn't run the correct route, Brady dumps it off to some 3rd RB. Evans whines for 2 weeks. Brady shuts him out. Just one of the many scenarios I envision in Florida.

deadass, some need to get a grip

How did AB and Brady look in there game together with no OTA/TC? Whether you like it or not Brady is getting TC camp with at least 2 press on games with Godwin/Evans/Gronk. It’s not gonna take long to get on the same page with that talent. Receivers who want the ball?! That Tampa team is the same team plus Gronk and they got the ball enough times last year (actually they lost Permian).

some of y’all are in for a rude awakening when Tampa is a serious contender for the SB and wonder why that happened with no OTA
I'm not betting against Brady.

Look at what Brady has to learn:
  • a new system
  • a new coach, coaching staff, and support team such as medical, football preparation, etc.
  • a completely new set of players (except Gronk, although I'm very dubious about his return)
  • the defensive tendencies of divisions opponents
He's never had anything close to this learning curve in his entire career. He's been protected from ALL of this by being with the same team, and with the same system, and Belichick's consistency, his entire career. And now, he has to do it with a curtailed off season. Yes, he's smart and obviously very capable, but that's a huge hill to climb.

And @TommyBrady12, have to say its nice to be in agreement with you for once (given all the political back and forth). :)

On the other hand, I don't agree that the NFC South is a more difficult challenge than the AFC East, just because the out of division win/loss records over the years bear out a relative equality there. Regardless, that's going to be a minor factor compared to all the rest Brady faces.

I think the Bucs are in better position to win the SB in 2021, assuming there isn't a giant dropoff with Brady. It's a challenge that Brady wanted and he's going to have to live with. TB is the worst (or among the worst) teams in the entire league. He knew that he was going to a division with Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. He knew he's going to have to play at least 8 games a year in the FL humidity. He knew that the NFC has a ton of great QBs, etc.

As far as politics is concerned, it's just politics and football is football. I don't know why people take it personally when they don't see the world the same way as someone else.

Last edited:
Yes I’m sure Bob Kraft will be laughing uproariously at losing hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. Coach Belichick will no doubt also find it hilarious that an entire year of his life (and pursuit of Shula’s record) was thrown away, pushing back the inevitable rebuild by that same amount of time.

But all the scouts here on Patsfans told me his numbers dropped because of his "noticeable" and "precipitous" decline. :rolleyes:

don’t forget the all mighty and all important OTA’s

There were times he was missing wide open guys last year too...but yeah, he's going to be much happier with his receivers in 2020.

Other issue is coaching. Brady and Gronk don't have BB, McD, and Scarnnechia anymore. Big downgrade to Arians and Leftwich...

Seriously, BB/McDaniels aren’t the only good coaches in the nfl

Or even a shortened one.

If there is a full one with Brady and Gronk tearing it up, man what a nightmare

I don’t think anyone will be able to judge one way or another even if that happens. We had Brady last year and he wasn’t very good and pouted more than I cared to see. Gronk was not coming back either. No reason to think anyone would be tearing it up here even if the status quo was true in 2020.

He went 13-3 and made the CCG with Carson Palmer as his QB.

That’s a helluva lot more success than anything Belichick has had as an HC without Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes