PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Front 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is our young up and coming WR and TE and don't say Gordon?? I am sure you knew that Gronk and Edelman can't play forever or do you??:rolleyes: The BB ball washing have gone to new levels he cannot count on Brady anymore because Brady is not that Good anymore that's a fact. Brady have one more year Tops book it! his age have caught up to him. Brady doesn't throw it as well as other QB's anymore Father time has caught up.

He’s put significant resources over the last several years into the offensive line and running game more than anything else it would seem. Hence, the reason Sony Michel and Wynn were drafted instead of defense

Saw WR body type Derek Rivers on the Sidelines yesterday I tell ya Flash Gordon have more Girth than that guy horrible pick.:rolleyes: Wouldn't like to see that guy trying to hold the edge no wonder he's Inactive.:oops:

It’s time for Bill give other people in the organization the ability to pick players. Over the years he has failed miserably at drafting players on the D-Line.

Brady has been carrying this team far long, it’s time to do something about it. We can’t keep relying on Brady to bail us out everytime.
Please list all of the bad DL draft picks that add up to “failed miserably” for years.

Here's a question is Director of Player Personnel Nick Caseiro overrated?? Remember one time Scott Pioli was considered the best thing since slice bread then his Drafts started to blow. Nobody here missed him when he left. One things for sure Scott Pioli has had more success here in with Player Personal than Nick Caseiro who absolutely suck like our lack of Talent Front 7. When will Caseiro be shown the door?? Where is the Good young Talent??
it begins and ends with Bill.

He’s put significant resources over the last several years into the offensive line and running game more than anything else it would seem. Hence, the reason Sony Michel and Wynn were drafted instead of defense

Your Defense couldn't make a Stop in the SB so you spend all the capital on O??:confused: Great logic there and I thought BB was a genius.:rolleyes: It's been a Great run but nothing last forever.

We focus on the weakness at DT. And we should.

HOWEVER, the defense gave up 17 to PITT, 3 in the 2nd half. The secondary made up for deficiencies in the defensive front. The secondary was awesome. The special teams had one of the best special teams plays of all time, along with 2 punt blocks the week before. It is simple denial to believe that the offense wasn't responsible for the lack of points in the second half.

It is NOT the defense that is making the difference so far this year. It is the play of Edelman, Gronk, and Brady. Of course, coaching gets some of the blame. Why wasn't Gordon in the game at the end? Brady's play in the 2nd half was not even average for a playoff quarterback. He seems to need a wide open receiver to complete passes. Brady's interception was almost as awful as his last play before the half last week. His last 3 passes were so far off the mark that it was difficult to see who was being targeted. Brady doesn't seem to be able to throw accurately enough to give the receiver a chance; the receiver needs to get wide open. And also, the receivers aren't able to get wide open. They shouldn't be let off the hook; they dropped three passes. After the 3rd play of the game, the offense was very weak, except for the one long pass completion to Edelman.

It's been a long and glorious run. And just maybe the offense will step up for the playoffs. However, we need to prepare for transition. No amount of money is going to secure receivers who can get open often enough to be a star for us.

Your Defense couldn't make a Stop in the SB so you spend all the capital on O??:confused: Great logic there and I thought BB was a genius.:rolleyes: It's been a Great run but nothing last forever.

I didn’t say I agreed with Bill’s approach. Just saying what he might be thinking...

So now you all think Hightower sucks? From our front 7 , Flowers and Hightower are both solid and Wise is developing and needs some more time. I wouldn't say we are the worst in the league, that's a stretch.

I think Hightower is pretty good........the problem is the lack of athleticism as a unit......nobody is going to look good if the majority are stiffs....coulda kept akiem hicks for short $$.....bostic looks better than most anyone we have......

So now you all think Hightower sucks? From our front 7 , Flowers and Hightower are both solid and Wise is developing and needs some more time. I wouldn't say we are the worst in the league, that's a stretch.

Flowers, HT, Guy, KVN Bentley all could stay.

I cannot believe how bad our front 7 is. It has to be one of, if not the worst, in the entire league. The lack of talent is so bad it is hard to imagine how Bill Belichick could allow this to happen. Outside of Trey Flowers, I dont know if there is one player is would be considered league average.

I remember when we drafted Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork in the 1st Round in 3 of 4 seasons. These guys were the building blocks of our dynasty. Coach Belichick is best when he is able to make teams one dimensional. When we had these guys up front, we may not have always had the best pass rush, but we essentially were able to eliminate the run game. This allowed our defensive coaches the ability to be more creative with coverages.

Over the last several years, for whatever reason, we just have not spend draft capital or cash to bring in good enough players. It is embarrassing watching us get our butts kicked in the trenches. When we stuff the run, the other team still gets 3-4 yards. There were a couple of times where we had Samuels trapped for a loss and he bounced outside and beat our slow linebackers to the corner and ended up gaining 3-4 yards. its pathetic.

What's amazing is I can still see this team winning the Super Bowl if we get hot. I think our secondary is actually pretty decent. It is just very difficult to cover when you either (1) bring 4 and get no pass rush or (2) blitz and have more 1 on 1 man on man situations.

As I am sure you all are, its exceedingly frustrating watching this team. They lack urgency, strength, speed and overall talent.

Since those "gold ole days", the Pats haven't had the kind of draft capital that was required to snag Seymour (#6 overall, after a 5-11 season), or Warren (#13 overall, after a 9-7 season) or Wilfork (#21 overall after trades).

The Pats drafted those guys into an almost pure base 3-4 (generally better against the run than most 4-3 variations) with LB and DB support provided by guys who were drafted before BB arrived. It was also in the era before NFL rules changed to emphasize passing.

Just as an FYI - it hasn't been a "Front Seven" is a few years now. The vast majority of the time, it's six up front with 5 DBs as the default base. The last couple games, it's been Front Five (with 6 DBs) a lot of the time.

Rather than have Danny Shelton on the bench collecting splinters, maybe
the Pats should promote Kamalu or Herron from the practice squad.

Is Wise developing?

He's been as productive as his rookie season, but in fewer snaps per game (there really wasn't anyone but him at rotational DE in 2017). I think he's settled into being a solid role player this season, but I don't really know whether he's hit his ceiling yet or not. He's certainly been productive enough to keep around for another season on his cheap rookie deal.

OTOH, even if the Pats are able to keep Flowers, they're going to need at least one more DE who is closer to Flowers' level ... unless, of course, they intend to transition to more of a 3-3 base (nickle variation on the 3-4).

Last season the defense wasn't that good especially, (remember the SB) for most of us the defense needed fixing, not the offense. I was really surprised when BB went offense with his first two picks, instead of bolstering the front seven.

Could be that the type of players that the Pats needed for what they were attempting to do up front this season simply weren't as good, value wise, as the players they took early on offense.

It should be remembered that Bentley was playing like a starting caliber NFL LB before he got hurt.

Possibly. It should be noted, though, that the Pats run-D has been worse since Shelton started sitting.
Fact noted but Shelton appears to be on Belichick's do not play list.

Please list all of the bad DL draft picks that add up to “failed miserably” for years.

Since 2009, they’ve drafted 12 DE/DT in rounds 1-4 and only Flowers and Chandler Jones panned out. Two first round duds, and a bunch of 2nd-4th rounders (Brace, Cunningham, Bequette, Rivers, Wise, Crable, Valentine, Grissom)

Not much investment in big bodies, just the pair of 1st round flops and two useless overdrafted nose tackles.

The inability to build a young, talented DL has been an issue for over a decade. They’ve occasionally been able to patch things together with vets (2016 being one such year) but it’s been a perennially weak unit most years

Could be that the type of players that the Pats needed for what they were attempting to do up front this season simply weren't as good, value wise, as the players they took early on offense.

It should be remembered that Bentley was playing like a starting caliber NFL LB before he got hurt.

Bentley played a few games of half decent play and people are convinced he’s a long term option. It’s very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST