PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Front 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdog3484

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot believe how bad our front 7 is. It has to be one of, if not the worst, in the entire league. The lack of talent is so bad it is hard to imagine how Bill Belichick could allow this to happen. Outside of Trey Flowers, I dont know if there is one player is would be considered league average.

I remember when we drafted Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork in the 1st Round in 3 of 4 seasons. These guys were the building blocks of our dynasty. Coach Belichick is best when he is able to make teams one dimensional. When we had these guys up front, we may not have always had the best pass rush, but we essentially were able to eliminate the run game. This allowed our defensive coaches the ability to be more creative with coverages.

Over the last several years, for whatever reason, we just have not spend draft capital or cash to bring in good enough players. It is embarrassing watching us get our butts kicked in the trenches. When we stuff the run, the other team still gets 3-4 yards. There were a couple of times where we had Samuels trapped for a loss and he bounced outside and beat our slow linebackers to the corner and ended up gaining 3-4 yards. its pathetic.

What's amazing is I can still see this team winning the Super Bowl if we get hot. I think our secondary is actually pretty decent. It is just very difficult to cover when you either (1) bring 4 and get no pass rush or (2) blitz and have more 1 on 1 man on man situations.

As I am sure you all are, its exceedingly frustrating watching this team. They lack urgency, strength, speed and overall talent.

Positive Note the Best Player on that Front 7 is Trey Flowers who should get paid. The other 6 are below average Jags they better pay Trey Flowers. And I want someone on Patsfans.com to tell me the Patriots can get better than Flowers?? Our Defensive Backfield is not bad at all. GM BB:rolleyes: gotta take the Heat for that Front 7 minus Flowers.

Last edited:
It’s going to be awesome when Bill lets Flowers walk leaving us with exactly zero good linemen.

These are reserve players, other than Flowers. Malcolm Brown sucks, waste of a first round pick

Here's a question is Director of Player Personnel Nick Caseiro overrated?? Remember one time Scott Pioli was considered the best thing since slice bread then his Drafts started to blow. Nobody here missed him when he left. One things for sure Scott Pioli has had more success here in with Player Personal than Nick Caseiro who absolutely suck like our lack of Talent Front 7. When will Caseiro be shown the door?? Where is the Good young Talent??

It’s time for Bill give other people in the organization the ability to pick players. Over the years he has failed miserably at drafting players on the D-Line.

Brady has been carrying this team far long, it’s time to do something about it. We can’t keep relying on Brady to bail us out everytime.

Very frustrating. But I agree with the OP that all it takes is getting hot at the right time. The Giants have done that twice, not to mention other times. I would say the Eagles did last year too in some respects.

The sad thing is this Team can still get a Bye with some help but they don't deserve it. I hope Texans pull it out in Philly next week...this Team should be playing on Wildcard weekend they are that bad. They cannot defeat any assemblance of a decent NFL Team on the Road.

So now you all think Hightower sucks? From our front 7 , Flowers and Hightower are both solid and Wise is developing and needs some more time. I wouldn't say we are the worst in the league, that's a stretch.

Our front 7 has been absolute garbage, just hard to see nobody’s shredding them week in and week out.

We may need to bring a new defensive coordinator too.

I cannot believe how bad our front 7 is. It has to be one of, if not the worst, in the entire league. The lack of talent is so bad it is hard to imagine how Bill Belichick could allow this to happen. Outside of Trey Flowers, I dont know if there is one player is would be considered league average.

I remember when we drafted Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork in the 1st Round in 3 of 4 seasons. These guys were the building blocks of our dynasty. Coach Belichick is best when he is able to make teams one dimensional. When we had these guys up front, we may not have always had the best pass rush, but we essentially were able to eliminate the run game. This allowed our defensive coaches the ability to be more creative with coverages.

Over the last several years, for whatever reason, we just have not spend draft capital or cash to bring in good enough players. It is embarrassing watching us get our butts kicked in the trenches. When we stuff the run, the other team still gets 3-4 yards. There were a couple of times where we had Samuels trapped for a loss and he bounced outside and beat our slow linebackers to the corner and ended up gaining 3-4 yards. its pathetic.

What's amazing is I can still see this team winning the Super Bowl if we get hot. I think our secondary is actually pretty decent. It is just very difficult to cover when you either (1) bring 4 and get no pass rush or (2) blitz and have more 1 on 1 man on man situations.

As I am sure you all are, its exceedingly frustrating watching this team. They lack urgency, strength, speed and overall talent.
This team once had Collins, Chandler Jones, Ninkovitch, Shead, Wilfork,
Chris Long, and Branch. Belichick has tried to replace them with players
like Cassius Marsh, Ron Ely, Danny Shelton , and Adrian Clayborn.
I'd like to see Belichick hold onto his draft picks and try the draft for a change to improve his team.

The quality of the defensive line has been on steady decline since the departure of Wilfork.

So now you all think Hightower sucks? From our front 7 , Flowers and Hightower are both solid and Wise is developing and needs some more time. I wouldn't say we are the worst in the league, that's a stretch.

He doesn't suck but he's no longer a number 1 linebacker.

What's amazing is I can still see this team winning the Super Bowl if we get hot.

billdog one difference between those Teams and this Team is the way they played Defense. This Front minus Trey Flowers make any RB look like Barry Sanders...Brandin Boldin Gashed them last week now no name Jaylen Samuels averaging 7.5 yards a rush.:mad: You cannot win consistently if you cannot stop the run Foootball 101. Why did we waste a First Rounder on Sony if we could have gotten Jaylen Samuels in the Fifth Round or keep Boldin??:confused::rolleyes:

Bill has been putting more of an emphasis on drafting offensive players since that is the direction the league is heading.

Very frustrating. But I agree with the OP that all it takes is getting hot at the right time. The Giants have done that twice, not to mention other times. I would say the Eagles did last year too in some respects.

If we are talking front seven both the Giants and Eagles were much more talented
Giants - Strahan, Tuck, etc.
Eagles - Cox, etc.

Front seven is an outdated term, it is more of a front 6 and yesterday was a front 5. Basically daring the Steelers to run, guess what the Steelers did? ram it down our throats.

Back to the overall point, yes our defensive front sucks but the defense did get 2 turnovers, the Steeler loss was on the offense.

Bill has been putting more of an emphasis on drafting offensive players since that is the direction the league is heading.

Where is our young up and coming WR and TE and don't say Gordon?? I am sure you knew that Gronk and Edelman can't play forever or do you??:rolleyes: The BB ball washing have gone to new levels he cannot count on Brady anymore because Brady is not that Good anymore that's a fact. Brady have one more year Tops book it! his age have caught up to him. Brady doesn't throw it as well as other QB's anymore Father time has caught up.

Positive Note the Best Player on that Front 7 is Trey Flowers who should get paid. The other 6 are below average Jags they better pay Trey Flowers. And I want someone on Patsfans.com to tell me the Patriots can get better than Flowers?? Our Defensive Backfield is not bad at all. GM BB:rolleyes: gotta take the Heat for that Front 7 minus Flowers.
Last season the defense wasn't that good especially, (remember the SB) for most of us the defense needed fixing, not the offense. I was really surprised when BB went offense with his first two picks, instead of bolstering the front seven.

Last season the defense wasn't that good especially, (remember the SB) for most of us the defense needed fixing, not the offense. I was really surprised when BB went offense with his first two picks, instead of bolstering the front seven.

I am sure he regrets it now but our Scouting Department like our Front 7 minus Flowers needs a over haul. Too many misses and Drafting often injured players who don't fit our scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots