PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots draft meetings

Not mutually exclusive capabilities for a prospect, AFAIK. ;)

True but let’s just say I’d rather focus on the 1 rather than the 2. We have plenty of interior 2-gappers, let’s get after the QB too.

True but let’s just say I’d rather focus on the 1 rather than the 2. We have plenty of interior 2-gappers, let’s get after the QB too.

I think Adam Butler will take the next step

Had previously met with the two at the combine and senior bowl respectively.

The Patriots recently held private workouts with two quarterbacks who are expected to be selected on the second or third day of next week’s draft, sources told NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero. The Patriots worked out Richmond’s Kyle Lauletta and Washington State’s Luke Falk.

Read more at: NFL Rumors: Patriots Conducted Private Workouts With QB Prospects

He did well for a UDFA. I don’t know if he’ll be much more than that. One can hope.

Dude shed 25 lbs during the summer to be what the pats needed him to be....strength is hard to develop over that time.....I want to see what strength and conditioning can do for him at a stable weight....I’m very optimistic given what he managed to do down the stretch

If bb’s draft was based on contacts with players, I would expect us to take either green or ejoifor. And either Miller or McGlinchey.

It looks like bb is in the market for a qb and rb as well as a linebacker and safety.

Oddly, I would have expected more activity with cb prospects.

If bb’s draft was based on contacts with players, I would expect us to take either green or ejoifor. And either Miller or McGlinchey.

It looks like bb is in the market for a qb and rb as well as a linebacker and safety.

Oddly, I would have expected more activity with cb prospects.

It's not, usually. Or at least, not in the way one might expect.

A lot of those contacts are obviously due diligence, but some of them are probably used to adjust their grades downward as often as upward, and even to eliminate prospects from the Pats board.

Also, the Pats aren't just comparing prospects with each other, but also with players who are already on the roster.

For several years, NEPD kept track of all the Pats pre-draft contacts and scrupulously verified them. I followed those lists religiously, and would even check their archives when the Pats acquired a UFA or traded for a player to see if they'd had pre-draft contact with the guy in a previous year (very frequently the case, btw).

Anyway, contact quantity/quality has never correlated well with actual selections. For example, the Pats typically have contact with 10-12 RBs every year, often including multiple OVs. And yet, since taking Maroney in 2006, BB has drafted only three RBs.

For another example, in 2010 the Pats had pre-draft contact with a relatively large number of DL, several of whom they had an opportunity to select (1-2 in every round). They ended up passing on all of them and taking Brandon Deaderick in the 7th (who was one of a few who had made an official visit).

In 2015 (the only archive that still shows up on the NEPD menu), the Pats had contact with 17 WR prospects - 15 private workouts and one OV - and selected zero. OTOH, they also had 16 contacts with OL, including private workouts with Shaq Mason and David Andrews. They had only a Combine interview with Tre Jackson, and drafted him anyway (ahead of Mason).

That year, they had pre-draft contact with 15 CBs, including private workouts with Justin Coleman, Darryl Roberts and Eric Rowe.

They also had 19 contacts with DL - OVs with Xzavier ****son (drafted in the 7th) and Darius Kilgo (claimed off waivers from Denver in November 2016), and a private workout with Angelo Blackson (waived by the Titans and signed to the Pats PSquad right after 2017 cutdowns in September - later poached by the Texans). They had only a Combine interview with Malcolm Brown, but selected him at #32.

OTOH, the Pats 2015 draft was actually very unusual in that they'd had some form of recorded pre-draft contact with everyone they selected --- everyone except Trey Flowers. It's often been the case that about half of the Pats selections in a draft have been prospects with whom they've had no recorded contact.

For a couple of those earlier drafts, I had notes indicating that "Pats scouts in attendance at Shrine Game practices spoke with (so-and-so)", and they ended up drafting the guy or acquiring him later (Welker was actually one of those guys) even though they'd had no other recorded pre-draft contact with him. That's why the lack of noted Shrine Game contacts in this list leaves me wondering if there isn't a "surprise" prospect lurking somewhere in the Pat draft plans.

Same list sorted by Position:

POS PLAYER CONTACT

CB Keion Crossen WO
CB Jalen Davis WO
CB Duke Dawson OV
CB Tyrin Holloway WO
CB Joshua Jackson PDY
CB Travarious Moore WO
CB Isaiah Oliver WO
CB Trevon Smith WO
DL Matt ****erson COM
DL Da'Shawn Hand COM
DL Jaylyn Holmes COM
DL Breeland Speaks OV
DT Andrew Brown COM
DT PJ Hall WO, PDY
Edge Dorance Armstrong WO
Edge Lorenzo Carter COM
Edge Duke Ejiofor OV, COM, WO
Edge Kylie Fitts COM
Edge Rasheem Green OV, PDY, WO
Edge Sam Hubbard COM
Edge Harold Landry PDY
Edge Josh Sweat OV
ILB Bo Bower PDY
ILB Jermaine Carter PDY
ILB Rashaan Evans OV
ILB Josey Jewell PDY
ILB Ben Nieman PDY
ILB Christian Sam OV
ILB Leighton Vander Esch COM
SAF Ronnie Harrison OV, WO, COM
SAF Justin Reid OV*, COM
(* not counted in total)

OT Rick Leonard COM
OT Mike McGlinchey OV
OT Kolton Miller OV, COM

OT Brandon Parker PDY
OT Connor Williams OV
QB Luke Falk SB
QB Lamar Jackson OV
QB Chad Kanoff PDY
QB Kyle Lauletta COM
QB Alex McGough WO
QB Mason Rudolph WO
QB Mike White WO
RB Kalen Ballage OV
RB Chase Edmonds COM
RB Derrius Guice OV
RB Nyheim Hines COM
RB Kerryon Johnson WO
RB Ronald Jones OV
RB Sony Michel COM
RB Ito Smith PDY
RB Akrum Wadley COM, SB
RB Mark Walton COM
RB Darrell Williams COM
TE Mark Andrews COM
TE Alec Bloom WO
TE Hayden Hurst COM, PDY
TE Tommy Myers WO
TE Dalton Schultz WO
TE Dillon Silva xRI
WR Braxton Berrios OV
WR Keke Coutee COM
WR DaeSean Hamilton PDY
WR Richie James COM
WR Christian Kirk OV
WR DJ Moore OV

WR Trey Quinn COM
WR Calvin Ridley OV ... (as of 4/18)
WR Vyncint Smith PDY
WR Courtland Sutton WO
WR James Washington WO

K Drew Brown COM
K Matthew McCrane WO
P Ryan Anderson WO

great job.

Are you sure about OV for lamar and McGlinchey?
Dante was definitely at McGlinchey's pro day.
They have reportedly met w Goedert.
I have Sutton among visits.

Last edited:
great job.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that both PatsPulpit and Walter had McGlinchey and Jackson as OV, and I think I saw a tweet or two noting that the Pats had "now had all three" top LT prospects in for visits after Williams was in. Kinda pressed for time, so I didn't keep a column noting sources.

Now that you mention it, I do recall Dante being at McGlinchey's pro day. Hadn't heard about Goedert, though. I knew from the outset that I'd be missing a few items and was implicitly hoping that folks would post notes about those gaps so I could update the lists.

The Sutton visit happened shortly after I posted, but I thought I'd already edited my posts to add him. Maybe I didn't get to all three? Anyway, the McKay Murphy pro day note came up almost immediately after that, so I decided to wait until there were a few items to add before editing again.

With reports being posted haphazardly from numerous sources (twitter accounts that I don't follow and tweets that aren't re-tweeted by one of the accounts that I do follow, etc.), it's really easy to miss stuff these days. That's one of the reasons that the NEPD consolidated lists were so valuable - they did all the work! :)

great job.

I just realized you wrote "Sutton" and I was thinking "Ridley".

[Note to self: avoid posting before your second cup of coffee.]

I'll try to re-check a few things this morning.

great job.

Well!

This is why I should have noted sources of contact reports, since I'm sure that some of my list was gathered from various unverified tweets. Of course, even the WF and PP lists are disagree with one another.

According to both WF and PP, the Pats have had no contact whatsoever with McGlinchey.

WF notes a WO with Jackson; PP notes no contact at all (though I could almost swear they had him as an OV just a couple days ago).

For Sutton, PP notes a WO, but WF has no contact with the Pats at all.

WF has Kerryon Johnson (RB) as a WO; PP has him as making an OV.

The most maddening thing is that PP's list is organized only by contact type, but there's no order to the names under the headings (not alphabetical, or even by position).

WF has each team's contact listed, but again, random names not ordered alphabetically, by contact type, or by position. WF does have an alphabetical list of prospects and what teams they've had contact with, but it's a really, really long list - so, lotsa searching/scrolling. Oh WF also has a third contact list organized by college, which is extremely helpful (not).

And, of course, neither site bothers to indicate additions/changes in any manner.

JEEZ, I really miss that NEPD list!

Bottom line: I have considerable editing to do. Not sure I'll have time today, but I'll try.

Well!

This is why I should have noted sources of contact reports, since I'm sure that some of my list was gathered from various unverified tweets. Of course, even the WF and PP lists are disagree with one another.

According to both WF and PP, the Pats have had no contact whatsoever with McGlinchey.

WF notes a WO with Jackson; PP notes no contact at all (though I could almost swear they had him as an OV just a couple days ago).

The most maddening thing is that PP's list is organized only by contact type, but there's no order to the names under the headings (not alphabetical, or even by position).

WF has each team's contact listed, but again, random names not ordered alphabetically, by contact type, or by position. WF does have an alphabetical list of prospects and what teams they've had contact with, but it's a really, really long list - so, lotsa searching/scrolling. Oh WF also has a third contact list organized by college, which is extremely helpful (not).

And, of course, neither site bothers to indicate additions/changes in any manner.

Bottom line: I have considerable editing to do. Not sure I'll have time today, but I'll try.

Scarnecchia was at the Notre Dame pro day and I doubt he was there for Nelson.

Search continues: Scarnecchia pops up at Notre Dame for look at McGlinchey

Scarnecchia was at the Notre Dame pro day and I doubt he was there for Nelson.

Search continues: Scarnecchia pops up at Notre Dame for look at McGlinchey

Would I be shocked if BB trades up for Nelson though esp. if he gets passed by and drops significantly like OG usually do? Nope.

With Nelson team arguably gets the best chance of NFL success of any prospect and by far the best chance to keep him after rookie deal (esp. NE) - its true that IOL market skyrocketed this yr but its still at half price compared to top edge, CB, WR.

The other interesting thing is that he might be the most ready of all OL prospects to step up at tackle short term if needed (in light of Garcia, Jelks possibly needing more time, Waddle injury prone).

At very least - Dante was there to enjoy some Nelson ;)

Well!

Caserio went to Lamar's pro day and met with him. BGC might have a full dossier on Pats & Lamar..

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back