PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots draft meetings

Another visit and a bit of a doozie

Interesting to know what McDaniels made of him

I think its safe to say he likes him, as He did draft Tebow. Jackson has better mobility AND a better arm. I think the question is more about value, how much does he cost to get???
Small trade to get #14? With Cards / Ravens / Chargers right around the corner?
Mayby a trade with Matty P to get infront of Bengals?

I dont think he goes top 10, but at the same time then i dont see him drop below 25~

Another visit and a bit of a doozie

Interesting to know what McDaniels made of him

I like Lamar as a prospect especially if BB has signed off and have input on Lamar's implementation and development.

I love Josh as an offensive coordinator and believe he has interest in developing a mobile QB, but at the same time wary of him if he can produce a successful mobile QB into fruition after Tim Tebow and Kevin O'Connell.

Kevin O Connell.jpg

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Kevin O'Connell

I like Lamar as a prospect especially if BB has signed off and have input on Lamar's implementation and development.

I love Josh as an offensive coordinator and believe he has interest in developing a mobile QB, but at the same time wary of him if he can produce a successful mobile QB into fruition after Tim Tebow and Kevin O'Connell.

View attachment 20177

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Kevin O'Connell

He’d be a roller coaster for a couple of years in pre-season. Some exhilarating plays mixed in with a bunch of horrible throws.

I think its safe to say he likes him, as He did draft Tebow. Jackson has better mobility AND a better arm. I think the question is more about value, how much does he cost to get???
Small trade to get #14? With Cards / Ravens / Chargers right around the corner?
Mayby a trade with Matty P to get infront of Bengals?

I dont think he goes top 10, but at the same time then i dont see him drop below 25~

I'm not willing to "convict" McD of being the ultimate decision-maker on the Tebow selection, or even that he "liked" Tebow. I suspect that the owner (Pat Bowlen) and/or the new (at the time) hot-shot GM, Brian Xanders may have been the instigators.

It's fairly rare in the NFL that HC's even get meaningful input on which players are drafted, much less get the final decision - especially regarding 1st round picks and QBs.

Just this past week, Hue Jackson more or less explicitly admitted that he has now idea who the Browns will draft because the GM, John Dorsey, hasn't told him yet. Hue Jackson's circumstance is far more common in the league.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume anything about how McD feels wrt Lamar Jackson based on the fact that Tebow was drafted during McD's tenure as HC with the Broncos.

I'm not willing to "convict" McD of being the ultimate decision-maker on the Tebow selection, or even that he "liked" Tebow. I suspect that the owner (Pat Bowlen) and/or the new (at the time) hot-shot GM, Brian Xanders may have been the instigators.

It's fairly rare in the NFL that HC's even get meaningful input on which players are drafted, much less get the final decision - especially regarding 1st round picks and QBs.

Just this past week, Hue Jackson more or less explicitly admitted that he has now idea who the Browns will draft because the GM, John Dorsey, hasn't told him yet. Hue Jackson's circumstance is far more common in the league.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume anything about how McD feels wrt Lamar Jackson based on the fact that Tebow was drafted during McD's tenure as HC with the Broncos.

I agree we don't know the full extent of Josh's influence with drafting Tim Tebow in Denver, but I think he still liked him as a prospect and, with Josh's insights from Denver, was one of the supporters/factors when we brought Tim into our training camp.

All this hype surrounding Lamar screams of SMOKE!

I don't take any stock in who they meet with really. They invest 99% of their work on watching film IMO.

Last edited:
All this hype surrounding Lamar screams of SMOKE!

I don't any stock in who they meet with really. They invest 99% of their work on watching film IMO.

I don't know that it's definitely smoke, but it is interesting that this visit was "quiet" for a couple of weeks, and then, 4 days before the draft, "the organization was 'intrigued and impressed' with him" during his visit.

The timing seems suspicious.

But then, the timing could make it a double-bluff. Everyone will suspect that it's a smokescreen due to the timing and think the Pats aren't really interested - then WHAM! - the Pats take him right out from under the noses of ... ... ... wait, who?

I don't know that it's definitely smoke, but it is interesting that this visit was "quiet" for a couple of weeks, and then, 4 days before the draft, "the organization was 'intrigued and impressed' with him" during his visit.

The timing seems suspicious.

But then, the timing could make it a double-bluff. Everyone will suspect that it's a smokescreen due to the timing and think the Pats aren't really interested - then WHAM! - the Pats take him right out from under the noses of ... ... ... wait, who?

Cards, Ravens, Chargers all pick in a row at 15-17.

Interesting name to add to the list from Tony Pauline

We’ve been driving the Jullian Taylor bandwagon during the lead-up to the draft. Sources tell me that if Taylor had worked out in front of the whole league at the combine, which he was not invited to, he would’ve ended up as a second-day pick. Since the beginning of March, the Temple product has visited or worked out for half the teams in the league. Teams point to his exceptional pro day as proof Taylor’s numbers stand up against some of the better performers at the combine. The Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles were last-minute adds to Taylor’s schedule.

NFL Draft News & Notes- April 24 | Draft Analyst

Taylor measured 6044/294 and his alternate position is "DE". Interesting that he's also visited the Titans. They run a 3-4 base.

He’s very athletic. A day three pick I’d be very happy with.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back