PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defense is Only Allowing 10 Points/Game the Last 7 Weeks

It looks like they've overcome the loss of Gilmore, but I still wish he was on this team.

I am old enough to remember the 1976 steelers, they started 1-4 ( losing to Pats 30-27) and their defense stepped up , giving up 28 points over 9 games with 5 shutouts!! I am not predicting that but a stout defense can carry a team a long way, especially with a rookie QB.

So far so good, but I don't think we can do this to the Titans or the Bills. I think we can play with anyone but our current dominance is a little inflated. I will change my tune if we do this to the Titans.
I think either those teams scores in the 20s on us. But any NFL team, any Sunday, can make giddiness over a defense look stupid. Inflate the balloon too much and it looks really terrible popping on national TV.

We'll be a great defense at the end of the season unless we're not. Joannie Mitchell said about half a century ago, "love is a story told to a friend; it's second-hand." It's like that. We'll see what the actual thing itself is moment by moment. But I mean, I do love this D.

Bryant has been an unsung player who stabilized the slot corner job. And I haven't seen Mills or SloJuan get burned recently so they're masking weaknesses well. Carl Davis and Barmore have solidied the run defense.
Godchaux has been the biggest run stopper.

this is the #2 defense in the NFL right now by the only measure that matters

they pressured a decent QB behind a very, very good O-line in Cleveland, and they made a very good QB behind a crappy line look lost last night......will a very good QB behind a very good line get a little more done? sure, but that D front is nasty, period

secondary is showing it can play with anyone.....

this D is legit.......shutting out anyone in the NFL isn't easy, and they've been dominating in this recent stretch......

Godchaux has been the biggest run stopper.

Nope. RunD was poor when they started 2-4. It's been Barmore recently leading DLine snaps and Carl Davis on the 4th down stop. But yes Godchaux plays on the defense.

this is the #2 defense in the NFL right now by the only measure that matters

they pressured a decent QB behind a very, very good O-line in Cleveland, and they made a very good QB behind a crappy line look lost last night......will a very good QB behind a very good line get a little more done? sure, but that D front is nasty, period

secondary is showing it can play with anyone.....

this D is legit.......shutting out anyone in the NFL isn't easy, and they've been dominating in this recent stretch......

It's also scoring points and also setting up the offense with layups.

Moreover, over the last four weeks, they're basically holding teams to ~25% conversion on third and fourth downs.

this is the #2 most important stat for a defense, imho, after points allowed

they are also 6th in overall opponents red zone efficiency....and #1 over the past 3 at a ludicrous 16.67%

It looks like they've overcome the loss of Gilmore, but I still wish he was on this team.

NE would be better but it also doesn't look like he is at the 18-19 level anymore.

Defense has been a strength all year. Complementary football only works when this offense isn't leading the league in turnovers and giving opponents excessive opportunities to score. This is the NFL in 2021, offense has such a massive advantage, you can't give them more of an advantage. As long as our offense continues to protect the ball and block well this is arguably the best defense in the league, top three anyway.

Nope. RunD was poor when they started 2-4. It's been Barmore recently leading DLine snaps and Carl Davis on the 4th down stop. But yes Godchaux plays on the defense.

You are wrong, again

How do we explain Dallas and Mills when it comes to this defense? I feel their stats are better than reality. Want to see them against a team with Weapons like Dallas, Bills before I jump on these stats.

this is the #2 most important stat for a defense, imho, after points allowed

they are also 6th in overall opponents red zone efficiency....and #1 over the past 3 at a ludicrous 16.67%
#1 is points allowed
#2 is takeaways

How do we explain Dallas and Mills when it comes to this defense? I feel their stats are better than reality. Want to see them against a team with Weapons like Dallas, Bills before I jump on these stats.
It can be explained by having a lot of new pieces and Williams/Mills playing better or are you saying Mills is better than Mayfield or Herbert?

It can be explained by having a lot of new pieces and Williams/Mills playing better or are you saying Mills is better than Mayfield or Herbert?

I'm usually only noticing when something goes wrong on the field, but is anyone watching how Mills and SloJuan are being protected / masked in this defense? It's been an encouraging sign that these 2 haven't been burned much the last 5 weeks in pass coverage.

#1 is points allowed
#2 is takeaways
POints allowed is actually14 points less when you consider two pick 6s (Jenkins,Diggs)... lowering it to 14.8 ppgallowed

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back