PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defense is Only Allowing 10 Points/Game the Last 7 Weeks

I’m guessing he refused to play for us on that contract. It’s abundantly clear that the draft pick nor the cap savings is worth losing a #1 cb which typically command more than double what we saved on the move. I have trouble thinking that we made that decision on our own.
I think both sides held their ground and seeing how neither side was going to make a concession, they traded him.

Gilly had no choice but to play this year. Either play in CAR or NE puts him on season-ending IR which escalates things and keeps him under contract here for 2022.

I think both sides held their ground and seeing how neither side was going to make a concession, they traded him.

Gilly had no choice but to play this year. Either play in CAR or NE puts him on season-ending IR which escalates things and keeps him under contract here for 2022.

He better hope that he can play more than just 3rd downs before the end of the year or he will be struggling to get a one year veteran minimum deal in 2022. I do not think he is 100% so BB refused to pay him. Not sure why Carolina wants to pay so much for him this year. What are they getting for their coin? Why not save the money when the team is going nowhere?

He better hope that he can play more than just 3rd downs before the end of the year or he will be struggling to get a one year veteran minimum deal in 2022. I do not think he is 100% so BB refused to pay him. Not sure why Carolina wants to pay so much for him this year. What are they getting for their coin? Why not save the money when the team is going nowhere?
Quick glance at their schedule they are looking at 8-9ish. They are not a playoff team- especially with Space Ghost at QB. I think they need to do things to keep the fan base interested. Shiny new ornament effect...

Quick glance at their schedule they are looking at 8-9ish. They are not a playoff team- especially with Space Ghost at QB. I think they need to do things to keep the fan base interested. Shiny new ornament effect...
... that only plays part-time. That shine will rub off fast when they don't have $6M to carry over into 2022 Free Agency.

... that only plays part-time. That shine will rub off fast when they don't have $6M to carry over into 2022 Free Agency.
Yep. At 32 he may get a 2yr deal which will really be a 1yr one.

Yep. At 32 he may get a 2yr deal which will really be a 1yr one.

Remember when Revis went back to the JETE? BB walked away from that contract and was 110% correct. GMs don't forget those type of things when BB does not want to pay Gilmore. BB had a lot of info on Gilmore and said No Thanks. Most likely Gilmore has seen his best years. I wish him all the best.

Remember when Revis went back to the JETE? BB walked away from that contract and was 110% correct. GMs don't forget those type of things when BB does not want to pay Gilmore. BB had a lot of info on Gilmore and said No Thanks. Most likely Gilmore has seen his best years. I wish him all the best.
I would not be surprised if he had a very, very good 2022 somewhere. If he becomes the next Darrell Green or Eric Allen so be it.

It's clear how he is being used in CAR it would have been the same way here. He would need time to build back up to 100%.

At the end of the day Bill projected his D would be fine without the help of a part-time (but very good) CB being paid $7m and saving $5.8m which can be pushed (I think) to 2022.

It wasn't original... he heard it on the Scott Zorak show
Who cares? It's funny! Have you seen the oldrover show? How much is original?

1637517013016.gif

:excited:

Seems like Hightower and van noy are back to form, I believe thats played a huge role in taking this d to the next step in recent weeks

Really high praise from BB about Philips. Not sure where to put Dugger who is playing great with Philips also being an elite box safety.

Right now, both are playing over 80% of the defensive snaps. Which makes sense because they're playing more zone, and if you want your best five DB's on the field, three of them are safeties right now.

Right now, both are playing over 80% of the defensive snaps. Which makes sense because they're playing more zone, and if you want your best five DB's on the field, three of them are safeties right now.

Agree. I know they've tried for almost a decade on the 3 safety thing mostly without success, I think this time it's finally OK this season because both strong safeties are above-average (dare I say elite) box safety Strong Safeties with an elite borderline HOF free safety.

Has anyone seen an analysis of how they run this defense? Would be really interesting to see how they run this defense. Historically the defense simply hasn't worked at a championship level if it wasn't predominantly man cover-1 (press-coverage). The TV angle doesn't usually zoom out enough to see what Dugger and Philips are doing on all snaps....

My hypothesis is actually that their "Big Nickel" is having Philips or Dugger play one of the 2 traditional LB spots in a nickel formation, while the other plays strong safety. And both are so good against the run that so far it hasn't hurt them on run defense, so long as the DLine holds up. I don't think they're only using 2 CBs in big nickel, meaning 2 CBs and 3 safeties to make up 5 DBs. I think it's almost like in between nickel and dime, where Philips or Dugger are actually playing one of the LB positions because they have unique talents at also stopping the run....

Seems like Hightower and van noy are back to form, I believe thats played a huge role in taking this d to the next step in recent weeks

Hightower to me is a borderline HOF LB and a surefire Patriot HOF linebacker. He's a championship level player, basically does everything well as a linebacker, 3 rings and college champion, he's totally clutch. They don't win the Seahawks ring if he doesn't single handedly make that goal line tackle getting past a HOF OLineman, and they don't have a Falcons ring if he doesn't strip-sack Matt Ryan down 28-12 with 8 minutes left in the game. I never agreed with the criticisms, he took a year off and it took him a month to get back into complete game shape.

Hightower to me is a borderline HOF LB and a surefire Patriot HOF linebacker. He's a championship level player, basically does everything well as a linebacker, 3 rings and college champion, he's totally clutch. They don't win the Seahawks ring if he doesn't single handedly make that goal line tackle getting past a HOF OLineman, and they don't have a Falcons ring if he doesn't strip-sack Matt Ryan down 28-12 with 8 minutes left in the game. I never agreed with the criticisms, he took a year off and it took him a month to get back into complete game shape.

Reminded me of him coming back in 2018, though it may have taken him longer this time ( understandable with age). Lb was a bit of a concern early on but now it’s meshing right in with this d.

Reminded me of him coming back in 2018, though it may have taken him longer this time ( understandable with age). Lb was a bit of a concern early on but now it’s meshing right in with this d.

And the great thing about it, is we have two other LB's on short term IR right now that can both contribute once they're back. May not mean much while everyone is healthy, but it helps insulate you against future injuries. Someone like Van Noy gets dinged up? No problem, you've got Collins coming. Or how just this week we lose Uche for a spell, and Winovich is back to take his place. This LB group is deep.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back