PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and WR Anquan Boldin have mutual interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boldin makes perfect sense as the next man up, but I'm sure that Buffalo must have a say in this... either through releasing him or trading him for a late pick. (forgot the exact rules here)

I doubt the interest is all that serious, at least in the Patriots' side. This sounds like a reporter stretching innocuous statements into a story,

Boldin makes perfect sense as the next man up, but I'm sure that Buffalo must have a say in this... either through releasing him or trading him for a late pick. (forgot the exact rules here)

Except for the fact that Boldin is not good anymore

I'm going to be upset if they spend the money it would take to get this crusty old man and whatever draft pick(s) they would have to give to Buffalo after letting a young player like Austin Carr (a kid with lots of upside) walk.

I'm going to be upset if they spend the money it would take to get this crusty old man and whatever draft pick(s) they would have to give to Buffalo after letting a young player like Austin Carr (a kid with lots of upside) walk.
Except for the fact that Boldin is not good anymore
While older, he has proven to utilize his strengths to his advantage. He's still physical, he's smart as hell, and he's experienced. He's only missed a handful of games this decade, so he's also very durable.

The dude still caught 67 balls and 8 TDs last season. It's not like he suddenly fell off of a cliff, overnight. I hope it doesn't come to that, but we could certainly do worse, that's for sure.

so...you think we need another receiver? something weak about the current lineup?

Aging Veteran WRs who have lost their legs (ochocinco, holt, Galloway, Wayne) typically do not do well in this patriots offense. Boldin might be in the same boat

I have full faith in our group of wide receivers

Cooks- superstar potential, pro bowler
Hogan- rising stud, ceiling of a very good number 2
Mitchell- good solid number 3 with room to grow
Amendola- clutch reliable number 4
Dorsett- speedster who can take top off defense, tons of potential

so...you think we need another receiver? something weak about the current lineup?
I'm guessing that any discussions about Boldin likely occurred prior to the Brissett/Dorsett trade on Saturday, so he's not on the radar unless there was another injury.

I'm just pointing out that while older, he does have some very clear strengths and that we could do much worse. Something about taking the "crusty old guy" comment while passing on the sure thing that was Carr (who never played a single snap with Brady and has yet to do a damn thing in the NFL) just rubbed me the wrong way.

Dorsett will almost certainly be inactive, just like any other outside receiver has been at first. As others have mentioned, we can hope that he'll absorb as much of the playbook and system as possible, in the hope that he may contribute on a regular basis (if needed due to injury) for the second half of the season. I would be surprised if they made him one of the active 46 just to field a handful of punts per game, especially when there are other active members of the team that can do that.

I view a guy like Dorsett the same as I would a rookie. The main difference being that a rookie taken in the draft would've had spring OTAs and a full training camp in an attempt to get acclimated.

Boldin still has some gas left in the tank. He's not what he was 8 years ago but he's still a beast. He wouldn't be an every down player but he still has it. He played really well for the Lions last year. Still one of the better blockers in the game.

Dorsett will almost certainly be inactive, just like any other outside receiver has been at first. As others have mentioned, we can hope that he'll absorb as much of the playbook and system as possible, in the hope that he may contribute on a regular basis (if needed due to injury) for the second half of the season. I would be surprised if they made him one of the active 46 just to field a handful of punts per game, especially when there are other active members of the team that can do that.

I view a guy like Dorsett the same as I would a rookie. The main difference being that a rookie taken in the draft would've had spring OTAs and a full training camp in an attempt to get acclimated.
Michael Floyd got on the field pretty quickly.

He always struck me as getting by more on knowledge and skill more than raw athletic ability, so maybe that'd make him a decent coach? If he's a Good Guy then Bill might be willing to give him a chance, and it wouldn't require the Bills to release his rights.

I'm fine if Dorsett is our #4 WR and PR for 2018. For now, we have Amendola in the role. Dorsett is even a good acquisition if he is simply a developmental WR. Belichick clearly views him as better than Carr. We are likely to need a WR next year, given Edelman's injury, and question marks relating to Amendola and Mitchell.

To be clear, we have e room on the roster for a couple of developmental players who are likely to be inactive; that is, they are not top special teamers. I also put Hollister (TE) in this category.

Michael Floyd got on the field pretty quickly.
He was inactive for 5/7 games, correct? The exception being the early game where someone was injured, and even that was late in the year. Was it even a meaningful game in terms of seeding, etc?

The other game he was active was a mistake that Belichick made in the HOU playoff game where Floyd almost cost us the contest, lining up in the wrong position, running a terribly poor route, and also letting a ball bounce off of his hands for an INT. As we know, Belichick did not repeat the mistake of making him active again.

It wouldn't shock me if dorsett's active only if Mitchell's inactive. That's the only way maybe.

I'm fine if Dorsett is our #4 WR and PR for 2018. For now, we have Amendola in the role. Dorsett is even a good acquisition if he is simply a developmental WR. Belichick clearly views him as better than Carr. We are likely to need a WR next year, given Edelman's injury, and question marks relating to Amendola and Mitchell.

To be clear, we have e room on the roster for a couple of developmental players who are likely to be inactive; that is, they are not top special teamers. I also put Hollister (TE) in this category.
As long as Amendola is playing, I consider Dorsett nothing more than an inactive developmental WR with more upside and experience than Carr.

I have no issue whatsoever with the choice to add him to the team, and my comments were in response to someone who claimed that the acquisition was made due to the health of Amendola and Mitchell, which I respectfully disagree with--particularly for the first 4-6 games, at the very least.

It wouldn't shock me if dorsett's active only if Mitchell's inactive. That's the only way maybe.
So, say Mitchell can't go on Thursday or next week. What exactly, would Dorsett's role be? He knows nothing at all about anything regarding our system.

The suggestion is likely that he'd be needed as a warm body, but I doubt that's the case with Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Gronk, Allen, and the plethora of RB options.

Even then, as you point out, he won't know the offense. The active roster position can be better used.

He was inactive for 5/7 games, correct? The exception being the early game where someone was injured, and even that was late in the year. Was it even a meaningful game in terms of seeding, etc?
No. he played for as week 14 then played for us week 16 and 17.
17 snaps then 49 and bobut wasn't an inconsequential game, Brady and the starters played all but 3 snaps.
So I guess the game that was a day or 2 after he signed might be considered inactive.

The other game he was active was a mistake that Belichick made in the HOU playoff game where Floyd almost cost us the contest, lining up in the wrong position, running a terribly poor route, and also letting a ball bounce off of his hands for an INT. As we know, Belichick did not repeat the mistake of making him active again.
Mistake lol.

The point is that he came in and was able to play almost immediately. It's not easy but it can be done.

I can't say I follow the life and times of Anquan Boldin terribly closely, but if I understand his current deal correctly, then it would indeed take the Bills releasing him or trading him. They certainly won't release him since they have zero incentive to; it isn't like he is an overpaid veteran because he isn't even on the books due to his (announced) retirement.

I also believe the Patriots are not allowed to communicate with him so don't expect any confirmation coming from them anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST