PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers crying about Mac's hold on Burns.

So jones get hammered from behind and manages to put the figure 4 on burns in seconds. Bunch of babies... Defensive end beaten up by a rookie QB

I'm on the fence here, have swung both ways over the past day or so.

There are two elements when analyzing this play:
1. The intent/thought process behind the initial ankle grab
2. Was there anything "extra" (twisting/contorting) after Jones grabbed the ankle?

What Jones did might be a "dirty" play, if and only if, he knew with certainty Burns didn't have the ball. Even then, at worst it's a "dirty" play, which on the spectrum of dirty plays ranks relatively low. I'd put Gronk's body-slam of the Bills' defender several years ago higher on the dirty scale than what Jones did.

But that assumes Jones knew Burns didn't have the ball and I don't know if Jones knew Burns didn't have the ball. There are some angles that lead me to believe Jones would've known Burns didn't have the ball but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after a blindside hit that he was unaware (or uncertain) of where the ball truly was.

The second element is what happened after the grab itself. I don't see Jones doing much twisting of his own volition there -- in slow-motion it appears Jones is being dragged like a ragdoll. Similar to the "where is the ball" element of this, I'm willing to give Jones the benefit of the doubt that his swinging legs were the result of being dragged along the ground by someone 50 pounds heavier than him who has significantly more muscle-mass/explosiveness.

At best it's a disoriented/unsure Jones grabbing Burns because he thinks he has the ball.
At worst, Jones knew Burns didn't have the ball, grabbed his ankle out of frustration and twisted/contorted to bring him to the ground.
Somewhere in the middle would be Jones grabbing an ankle out of frustration without knowing where the ball was.

I don't know what Jones was actually thinking (nor does anyone on earth other than Mac Jones). Since no one can actually know what Jones was thinking and the video evidence leaves room for interpretation, I'd encourage folks to give Jones the benefit of the doubt because it's perfectly possible he genuinely thought Burns had the ball.

What I do know is that the worst case scenario is a pretty tame "dirty play" in the grand scheme of things, and there's plenty of room to give him the benefit of the doubt if you're inclined to do so.

Last edited:
The same team who put a knee to Stevenson's head giving him a concussion and knocked Harris out of the game is complaining because Mac Jones grabbed his ankle

I'd have some respect for Burns if he just made this about providing some protection for D players considering how protected QBs are. Instead, he's just crying and lashing out like a school boy.

Screw the Crudolina Pansies.

I have now reviewed the video MANY times on this and Iike Mac was saying …he was blindsided and thought Burns had the ball…and yes he grabbed him by the ankle…..but this low talent weak ass Burns has made it sound like Mac amputated his ankle. After Mac briefly grabbed him around the ankle to make a football (yes Football not Ballet Burnsie) …..Burns writhed around on the ground like a flounder on fire building up the drama…..what a piece of crap. He made a simple shoe string tackle by Mac into a crime against humanity….going on every network to tell everyone how bad the agony was and how dirty a play it was. This guy is a cheap, lying, scumbag who is squawking like this to get attention on himself….mostly because that’s the only attention he will get!.…..for the record the brutal illegal hit on Gunner was much worse and no one on Pats team said anything about it….Gunner was most likely still not right….and Burns the drama Queen is STILL CRYING!

Then Burns goes and steps on Rham's head.

I’m going to call them the Carolina ****y Cats going forward.

It is especially weak since he didn't make any big deal after the play and came back in for the next series. That's why no one noticed it during the game. Now Burns is NOT a no talent OLB. He is very good, but he loses ENORMOUS tough guy points with his whining about how a freakin rookie QB took him out! That is something no respectable LB would EVER admit back in my day. Just another entitled millennial for you. :sad:

Thats like complaining that your 10 year old son got beat up by a 4 year old girl. No offense, it happens but not something you want to admit to.

Idk if Mac intentionally hurt him. We can't ever say for 100% certainty. What I do know? Mac ain't dirty and this doesn't define him.

It is especially weak since he didn't make any big deal after the play and came back in for the next series. That's why no one noticed it during the game. Now Burns is NOT a no talent OLB. He is very good, but he loses ENORMOUS tough guy points with his whining about how a freakin rookie QB took him out! That is something no respectable LB would EVER admit back in my day. Just another entitled millennial for you. :sad:
You do know that millennials are in their late 30's with children, management positions, and own houses, right? Do you know that Burns is like a decade too young to be a millennial?

You do know that millennials are in their late 30's with children, management positions, and own houses, right? Do you know that Burns is like a decade too young to be a millennial?
Poossay generation or child of the Pooosay generation. Semantics. Any way you slice it, Burns is a poosssay.

I can't believe ****y is censored! What if I want to talk about my furry ****y cat? It's not like I am talking about kicking Burns in the ****y. That would be vulgar.

Particularly classy was his 'I wish my D End brothers happy hunting.' today.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back