PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: When you go out, are you wearing a mask?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When you go out, are you wearing a mask?

• Yes

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 68.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plastic or latex? The idea is not having anything transfer to your hands or what's on your hands t ok someone else. Its common practice for healthcare workers treating patients. Actually its required
When wearing either kind, you have to throw the gloves away before touching anything else that you might use later. The gloves dont really protect you from anything

When wearing either kind, you have to throw the gloves away before touching anything else that you might use later. The gloves dont really protect you from anything
Yes. At work(hospital) we throw away before leaving the patients room then put on a new pair for each patient. They absolutely protect you though. Especially so this time of year when dry or cracked hands are where bacteri and virus can infect. Out if the hospital its not as likely but bare hands hands are ripe for anything they touch.

Yes of course. The doctors and the Chinese must wear them for a reason. I never bought into the whole you don't need mask thing.

I have a biology degree and have taken a virology course.
Not sure how I feel about how effective a mask is at stopping viruses.
I suppose it keeps us from spewing mucus all over each other.
Would you use one of these masks if you were sanding or spraying?
A virus is smaller than dust particles.

BTW, a virus infection is like a run away nuclear reaction. How we survive at all is a miracle.

Basically, the virus attaches to the cell, injects it's RNA into the cell, uses the cell's mechanism to manufacture hundreds of thousands of viruses. The cell lyses (ruptures), releasing hundreds of thousands of viruses that in turn infect hundreds of thousands of cells...

BTW, a virus infection is like a run away nuclear reaction. How we survive at all is a miracle.

Basically, the virus attaches to the cell, injects it's RNA into the cell, uses the cell's mechanism to manufacture hundreds of thousands of viruses. The cell lyses (ruptures), releasing hundreds of thousands of viruses that in turn infect hundreds of thousands of cells...
Thanks for the uplifting post!

Things are looking up folks.

EU9NARaU0AAPrOL.jpg

I don’t understand the scumbags that toss their gloves or masks onto store parking lots

That sh** is unacceptable

Masks prevent me from breathing on others if I have the virus. Also, with masks, should I cough, it would be into the mask. This is at least as effective as coughing into my hands and then touching things.

Go to Etsy.com - hundreds of people are making washable face masks. I ordered a couple of these bad boys.

View attachment 26801
Yup, I ordered a couple from Amazon which we now use. Of course, it is a pain looking through comments for an acceptable mask, and finding one that is available. But there are always some. Amazon seem to constantly finding sources.

Depending on the source, delivery could take 1-3 weeks. That's fine, sort of what delivery times used to be. After all, the manufacturer is likely in Asia.

I made some hand sanitizer this morning. Had to give up looking in stores

Oh, totally agree about masculinity. And we need healthy conversations about what it is, and what we want it to be, so we can choose that, rather than have the marketing industry choose it for us.

I was once in a meeting at a home in Switzerland where the basement was peppered posters of the original Marlboro ads. The owner of the house was the ad exec who oversaw all that. I asked her about the conversations they were having when they developed "the Marlboro Man" mystique, and she said it was entirely a conscious manipulation of American masculine mythology, and they saw everyone who was attracted to it as a loser and a sucker. I was floored at how open and dark all that was. They just didn't care (and now, ironically, thousand of people will die from covid19 who otherwise would have lived, because of that manipulation).
Did the Swiss creeper have Farrah Fawcett posters on his basement walls too?

OK. Going back to my mini virus discussion and excuse any rust from a microbiology course I took at UMass some 45 years ago:

How do we stop this runaway viral infection?
Antibodies. They act like a lock and key.
These are viral specific.
They attach to the virus and render it incapable of attaching/injecting into our cells.

I believe this now inert viral/antibody complex will be engulfed by macrophages (white blood cells).

That’s the problem with HIV. It’s a virus that attacks white blood cells. What was baffling was how a single disease could have so many multiple symptoms...immune deficiency.
On a side note, the bubonic plague similarly attacks white blood cells, so if your ancestors survived the bubonic plague, you could possibly have immunity to HIV.

What a vaccine hopefully does is stimulate our body to manufacture these antibodies or recognize the virus.
I personally will take any flu vaccine available, hoping to broaden my range of antibodies. I tell my friends I collect viruses.
My apologies to anyone that has an actual Microbiology degree and excuse the long winded post...I’m procrastinating on grouting my tile job.

Age 63. Never worn a mask...never will. No hand sanitizer either.

But I do bike and golf as much as possible given the weather. Head to the park almost everyday. Literally nobody has a mask on.

. Went to store 3 times during my 3 week self quarantine. Today was the first time there were masks on most people. And noticeable footwork to create space .. haha. I didn't have mask on so I had the inverse intuitive avoidance going on. o_O:D

The irony is the behavior was needed more last month because now.. quarantines are finished.

I agree to a point. I have around 300 gloves or 150 pair. When I wear them shopping, I toss them into the trash as I’m leaving the store (in the entrance area).

Other times, I just bring a mask & skip the gloves. I’ll just sanitize my hands upon leaving the store. I don’t know if one is more effective than the other

I then leave & put the groceries in my car. Then I’ll use some hand sanitizer before I get in to drive home. The thing I hate doing is wiping down everything I bought before putting the groceries away.

Afterward, I go out to my car & disinfect everything I touched.

I recently had some pure aloe gel & alcohol delivered so I’ll have enough sanitizer to last most of 2020 (about a gallon).

This whole disinfect process just embeds this virus deep into our psyche and adds a level of stress to most Americans. Especially older Americans.

:p
Age 63. Never worn a mask...never will. No hand sanitizer either.

But I do bike and golf as much as possible given the weather. Head to the park almost everyday. Literally nobody has a mask on.
That’s your choice but nothing to be proud of. You rattled off age & exercise routine as if it’s a big deal when people everywhere our age (I’m 61) are being super active. Don’t assume you’d be ok if you got this virus. That wouldn’t be a bright assumption

The intelligent assumption for any of us over 50 is “I’d be in big trouble if I get COVID19”. To not be cautious is foolish for any of us, including you. I recently heard the term for those not taking this virus seriously....COVIDIOTS

Having said that, wearing a mask out walking or biking makes little sense. The virus isn’t floating around outside.

Last edited:
Example of a COVIDIOT

upload_2020-4-10_6-46-5.jpeg

I agree to a point. I have around 300 gloves or 150 pair. When I wear them shopping, I toss them into the trash as I’m leaving the store (in the entrance area).

Other times, I just bring a mask & skip the gloves. I’ll just sanitize my hands upon leaving the store. I don’t know if one is more effective than the other

I then leave & put the groceries in my car. Then I’ll use some hand sanitizer before I get in to drive home. The thing I hate doing is wiping down everything I bought before putting the groceries away.

Afterward, I go out to my car & disinfect everything I touched.

I recently had some pure aloe gel & alcohol delivered so I’ll have enough sanitizer to last most of 2020 (about a gallon).

This whole disinfect process just embeds this virus deep into our psyche and adds a level of stress to most Americans. Especially older Americans.

I've managed to stay stress free in spite of being older and having a wife who's a very high risk.

One of our sons, like you, also has a good supply of aloe and alcohol and makes his own sanitizer. Our other son was a germiphobe to begin with so we're all set there.

One of the posters here left a link for purchasing KN95 face masks that helped me get two 5-packs. They ran out soon after I ordered them and they're coming today.

I'm running a little low on wipes but I also ordered those thru amazon a while back.

I also bought a pack of gloves yesterday and I'll use gloves and a mask the next time I have to go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back