PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Weed helps prevent CTE?

I have heard stuff like that too. I think its a combination of reasons. The other thing about weed unlike beer and alcohol is that its relatively easy to grow yourself. That alone causes issues for business's trying to make profits. And also what your refering too isn't necessarily legality its a scheduling process. There are plenty of drugs that are legal that are scheduled but keeping weed scheduled 1 helps pharma give you other drugs to combat all kinds of things. Which in most cases are probably worse for you than weed. For instance cancer patients that need to regain there appetite.. weed is great for that but I am sure a pharma company developed a drug just for that reason and wants to keep making money off of it. Basically weed is bad for one of the biggest branches of business in the world.

Anyway it doesn't matter now weed is legal in MA and will be in stores in 2018. And I would assume over the next 10 years more and more states will be legalizing the plant.

Yep, Arizona tried to pass a weed legalization last year, but got it tied up with a provision that only certain state-sponsored companies could grow it. It was defeated 51-49. I voted in favor, if only because it seemed to me the legalization was the bigger issue and the rest could be deregulated down the line. Ehhhhhh...

are you an autistic individual or what? I distinctly and specifically stated in print that I don't use marijuana in any form. My point is YOU are a ridiculous friggin' troll, making asinine posts like your first and now this one. The only snake oil salesman in this thread is YOU, spewing this warmed over Anslinger hysteria propped up by naked lies. FOAD.

Um... actually yes. Technically autism-spectrum, I was an Aspergers child. I compensate for my trouble reading social cues by trying to communicate as clearly as possible. And again, thank you for your extreme tolerance of people with disabilities.

Also, seriously, get as angry at me as you want. Go on. Blow a fuse. Pop a vein. Have a heart attack if it makes you feel better. Doesn't change the facts or the tendency of pot fans to massively exaggerate the benefits of pot to their advantage.

I mean really, why is this thread here? Not because we know that pot has any impact on CTE. Not even because there's an actual study exploring a correlation between marijuana and a successful CTE therapy. But because a goddamn SURVEY of PLAYERS said that THEY THINK it helps. I mean come on man, that gray matter between your ears exists for a reason. Why would you think that players are the best source of what's best for themselves? Their job is to smash into each other and carry an overinflated piece of pig skin around a grassy open space for 60 minutes. They're not brain surgeons, the hell do they know about CTE?

And you know what, I believe them when they say that marijuana "helps" with PCS, which I think the article's author is conflating with CTE. Post concussion effects are problematic for any athlete who deals with a string of minor concussions as part of doing his job. Remember Marc Savard? It wasn't his initial concussion that knocked him out of the game of hockey, it was PCS. The minor brain damage left behind by the concussion left symptoms that meant Savard could never play at 100% again. Hell, it's the cumulative PCS from multiple concussions that IIRC has been said to be the reason for CTE.

And I can believe that marijuana can mask those symptoms, as long as they're not too severe. I'm aware that several known effects of marijuana could serve to disguise or mask the symptoms of brain trauma. Which is I think what these athletes are saying, because that makes sense. They don't need marijuana to make them healthy. They just need to be able to hide the symptoms of post concussion syndrome so they can be cleared to play football.

What I refuse to believe marijuana can do, is prevent brain trauma. Nothing that is in marijuana can change the physics of concussions. But marijuana's known effects CAN hide the symptoms, which is good enough for a ballplayer in the heat of the season.

The problem, and the reason I spoke out, is that treating symptoms is not the same thing as treating the problem. And if you're using MJ to hide the symptoms of brain trauma, you're encouraging yourself to go right out there into contact again with an unhealed brain, which not only doesn't "prevent CTE," but puts you at HUGELY increased risk. Masking the symptons of brain trauma so you can go back out and keep doing the activity that traumatized your brain in the first place cannot lower the risk of longterm impacts from brain trauma. Logic doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
I'd rate the recreational to medicinal use ratio at something like 40,000:1

I stopped reading after this because this isn't the case at all. You know how CBD can take kids from having 200 seizures a day to 2 or none at all? How is that masking the problem when they have a debilitating disease that causes seizures that can't be cured with all of the other pills they have tried with awful side effects..when it fixes the problem?

I use it recreationally when I am with my buddies or Golfing ECT...but i use it 85% of the time for medical. My back was bad and my surgery at age 18 was a bad idea and led me down a path of abusing pain meds for years when doctors would write scripts like candy. I needed to change or something bad was going to happen.

Weed helps me more than those strong painkillers ever did and then some. And I am talking CBD extract and even non CBD. Mentally it helps me...and physically....so 40,000:1 may be your take..but it's far from that given what I have seen from helping depression to anxiety and much more.

I stopped reading after this because this isn't the case at all. You know how CBD can take kids from having 200 seizures a day to 2 or none at all?

Curious what you think the ratio is between children with seizures, and ordinary healthy young American adults smoking mary recreationally. 40,000:1 may be an exaggeration, I have no idea because I'm outside the pot community. But speaking anecdotally, it's pretty clear to me that for every X people using marijuana medicinally or theraputically, there is a significant multiple of X that use it recrelationally.

The pot community needs to be careful what it asks for. Which do you think is harder to get, Marijuana or Oxycontin? I know that the propensity for recreational abuse of opioids made the doctor very reluctant to prescribe them during Mom's cancer treatments. Make Mary J a prescription medicine, which is where you're going by trying to protect recreational pot by hiding behind its medical applications, and you're not actually all that much closer to full legal distribution. it might even be a step backwards.

I use it recreationally when I am with my buddies or Golfing ECT...but i use it mostly for medical. My back was bad and my surgery at age 18 was a bad idea and led me down a path of abusing pain meds for years when doctors would write scripts like candy. I needed to change or something bad was going to happen.

Weed helps me more than those strong painkillers ever did and then some. And I am talking CBD extract and even non CBD. Mentally it helps me...and physically....so 40,000:1 may be your take..but it's far from that

I believe you. That's why despite the fact that marijuana is used and abused recreationally far more than it's used medically, I fully recognize its medical applications and am entirely in favor of legalization.

Also, I'm glad you found a solution for your pain and are able to use the substance to get back to something more closely resembling a healthy happy life, good for you.

Curious what you think the ratio is between children with seizures, and ordinary healthy young American adults smoking mary recreationally. 40,000:1 may be an exaggeration, I have no idea because I'm outside the pot community. But speaking anecdotally, it's pretty clear to me that for every X people using marijuana medicinally or theraputically, there is a significant multiple of X that use it recrelationally.

I thought you were talking about 40,000:1 as a ratin of it only helping get high for fun vs medically.

I will always be for MJ given my story and how pills almost took my life to the point of no return where MJ can and will never do that and and it may sound stupid..but probably saved me

Let players smoke it if they get medically cleared to use it in a state that they live/work in

I thought you were talking about 40,000:1 as a ration of it only helping get high for fun vs medically.

I will always be for MJ given my story and how pills almost took my life to the point of no return where MJ can and will never do that
I'm not going to stand behind that exact number, 40,000:1, but I am going to say, first of all, good for you and I'm glad you found a treatment that works, secondly, your story is going to be coopted by the recreational potheads to defend their pastime, hope you're OK with that, and also that I'm firmly convinced that whether or not 40,000 to 1 is exactly the right number, recreational use in this country vastly outnumbers legitimate medical or theraputic use.

I still support legalization because it's a higher good that the ones that need it get it ,than that the people that abuse the privilege don't get to abuse the privilege.

secondly, your story is going to be coopted by the recreational potheads to defend their pastime, hope you're OK with that

I don't care what they do or how they use their story..it's their life...what they do is their choice

Um... actually yes. Technically autism-spectrum, I was an Aspergers child. I compensate for my trouble reading social cues by trying to communicate as clearly as possible. And again, thank you for your extreme tolerance of people with disabilities.

Also, seriously, get as angry at me as you want. Go on. Blow a fuse. Pop a vein. Have a heart attack if it makes you feel better. Doesn't change the facts or the tendency of pot fans to massively exaggerate the benefits of pot to their advantage.

I mean really, why is this thread here? Not because we know that pot has any impact on CTE. Not even because there's an actual study exploring a correlation between marijuana and a successful CTE therapy. But because a goddamn SURVEY of PLAYERS said that THEY THINK it helps. I mean come on man, that gray matter between your ears exists for a reason. Why would you think that players are the best source of what's best for themselves? Their job is to smash into each other and carry an overinflated piece of pig skin around a grassy open space for 60 minutes. They're not brain surgeons, the hell do they know about CTE?

And you know what, I believe them when they say that marijuana "helps" with PCS, which I think the article's author is conflating with CTE. Post concussion effects are problematic for any athlete who deals with a string of minor concussions as part of doing his job. Remember Marc Savard? It wasn't his initial concussion that knocked him out of the game of hockey, it was PCS. The minor brain damage left behind by the concussion left symptoms that meant Savard could never play at 100% again. Hell, it's the cumulative PCS from multiple concussions that IIRC has been said to be the reason for CTE.

And I can believe that marijuana can mask those symptoms, as long as they're not too severe. I'm aware that several known effects of marijuana could serve to disguise or mask the symptoms of brain trauma. Which is I think what these athletes are saying, because that makes sense. They don't need marijuana to make them healthy. They just need to be able to hide the symptoms of post concussion syndrome so they can be cleared to play football.

What I refuse to believe marijuana can do, is prevent brain trauma. Nothing that is in marijuana can change the physics of concussions. But marijuana's known effects CAN hide the symptoms, which is good enough for a ballplayer in the heat of the season.

The problem, and the reason I spoke out, is that treating symptoms is not the same thing as treating the problem. And if you're using MJ to hide the symptoms of brain trauma, you're encouraging yourself to go right out there into contact again with an unhealed brain, which not only doesn't "prevent CTE," but puts you at HUGELY increased risk. Masking the symptons of brain trauma so you can go back out and keep doing the activity that traumatized your brain in the first place cannot lower the risk of longterm impacts from brain trauma. Logic doesn't work that way.

Actually, there is a good chance that weed is a 'miracle drug' and does a lot of what people say it does.

If you have one drug that helps with depression, anxiety, pain relief, and seizures (to name only four things), that's about as much of a miracle drug as you're going to find.

Now, I agree with you that it probably doesn't prevent concussions or brain trauma (although I'm open to it reducing CTE progression). And I also agree that we need rigorous clinical trials to demonstrate what it actually does, and also to understand the mechanism. But unfortunately, those are largely illegal due to marijuana's classification. So that's another reason to legalize.

But until then, there is more than enough anecdotal evidence to suggest there is a strong possibility that it has numerous clinical benefits, and it's far from 'snake oil'.

I'm going to differ with you. It doesn't treat all of those conditions, but it does treat the symptoms of those and many more. It's the difference between actual healing, and improvement of quality of life. Many conditions have no actual cure and quality of life is the important consideration. Pain relief and seizures, which are the big ones for medical mary from what I've read, are conditions where the big thing to treat is the symptoms, and marijuana comes through like a champ there.

When it comes to concussion related problems, masking the symptoms is about the last thing you want because it can lead to trauma compounded on top of trauma and compounded again on top of more trauma, which is exactly what CTE is. One of the reasons for certain symptoms is your body trying to tell you not to do certain things. Short circuit the body's natural antistupidity provisions at your own risk.

Short circuit the body's natural antistupidity provisions at your own risk.

How ironic...you do that with every breath you take.

It's going to be legal whether Big Pharma likes it or not. They're only delaying the inevitable. From a business standpoint, they're idiots for opposing it instead of getting out in front of it. That's akin to the utility industries in the South opposing solar energy at every turn instead of incorporating it in and giving their customers a choice.

That's actually a terrible analogy

Makes sense. Who gets high and then wants to play football?

As I recall, this was pretty much what we did every night when I was at university...

How ironic...you do that with every breath you take.
I'm reasonably sure that each of your last three posts in this thread have been a violation of the Patsfans terms of service so why don't you go ahead and think about that before accusing anybody else of being stupid

I'm reasonably sure that each of your last three posts in this thread have been a violation of the Patsfans terms of service so why don't you go ahead and think about that before accusing anybody else of being stupid

Are you going to tell on him?

As I recall, this was pretty much what we did every night when I was at university...
Back in the day, I recall .......................................... ....................................................... .................................................. and french fries.

Does weed prevent CTE or do high people not notice the symptoms. That sounds like a quip, but it is a serious question for future researchers. No, I don't know how to separate that perception from reality there without autopsy. :)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back