PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Weed helps prevent CTE?

Cartoon does not 100% apply, but...
hand gun kills cancer cells.jpg

Actually, the real reason is more bureaucratic. The tax money the government would collect off of legal weed is less than the ATF seizes trying to stop the illicit trade...as told by a former ATF agent.

I have heard stuff like that too. I think its a combination of reasons. The other thing about weed unlike beer and alcohol is that its relatively easy to grow yourself. That alone causes issues for business's trying to make profits. And also what your refering too isn't necessarily legality its a scheduling process. There are plenty of drugs that are legal that are scheduled but keeping weed scheduled 1 helps pharma give you other drugs to combat all kinds of things. Which in most cases are probably worse for you than weed. For instance cancer patients that need to regain there appetite.. weed is great for that but I am sure a pharma company developed a drug just for that reason and wants to keep making money off of it. Basically weed is bad for one of the biggest branches of business in the world.

Anyway it doesn't matter now weed is legal in MA and will be in stores in 2018. And I would assume over the next 10 years more and more states will be legalizing the plant.

Why drugs are ilegal.jpg
Would like to see some long term research done regarding the lungs, but it's good to keep pushing the issue into the spotlight.
I agree. What I've been told is pot has a much lower burning point than tobacco and tar stays in the ash, not the smoke . With vaporizers and stuff that supposedly becomes irrelevant though. I'd still like to see a study instead of using hearsay.

OK, no. I can buy some of the proposed magical properties of weed as a blunter of pain and easer of symptoms. And it might be able to treat the symptoms of a concussion even, it's a strong claim but I'll let that go for the sake of argument.

There is a LOT of snake oil and hyperbole going down on the subject of marijuana. It does have some uses, but people are inventing near-magical properties of this herb out of the woodwork for the sole sake of justifying their own consumption, and 99% of it is BS practically designed to reveal the complete medical ignorance of its own proponents.

Unless a treatment is specifically for pain, masking symptoms is not treatment, and the most Marijuana is doing in nearly all of these cases is dulling or hiding the symptoms. If people start thinking marijuana is "treating" some of these conditions, PEOPLE WILL DIE when the symptoms they're using weed to hide from turn out to be warning signs of conditions, or complications of their condition, that should have been examined and treated by a fully licensed medical professional.

Even if weed is masking the symptoms, damage is still being done and CTE is the result of that cumulative damage. Weed doesn't magically heal the brain. The most it could possibly do is mask the symptoms -- and after a certain point masking the symptoms of a cumulative-trauma injury actually makes it worse, as it invites more trauma.

tl;dr the weed community NEEDS to reel itself back in if it doesn't want marijuana to become the next snake oil -- if indeed it's not already too late.

I don't smoke weed...or use it for its' CBD's...but I'd like to smoke YOU about 500 times in your goddamned mouth you smarmy know-it-all punk. STFU with your revisionist far right wing paramilitary takes, you insufferable azzole

I don't smoke weed...or use it for its' CBD's...but I'd like to smoke YOU about 500 times in your goddamned mouth you smarmy know-it-all punk. STFU with your revisionist far right wing paramilitary takes, you insufferable azzole
He posted his Facebook a while back in the Pub forum. He certainly looks like someone that sits and reads a lot...

IMG_0357.PNG

Weed has many benefits to the human body. It's a wonder it has the kind of reputation it does in this country.

Exactly the kind of mature and nuanced responce I'd expect from the tolerant left.

I have nothing against weed. What I hate is the snake oil, lies, and BS based on a half understood story about a half finished study based on a shaky premise.

Weed has some medical applications. It can be used to dull pain. It can be used to block symptoms. It has beneficial theraputic effects for certain ailments, usually based on preventing the brain from overreacting to them by putting a hard governor on its ability to fire the pain receptors. I'd rate the recreational to medicinal use ratio at something like 40,000:1, and have no problem with that as long as the medical needs are served.

Nor do I really have any issue with recreational weed, as long as you're not operating heavy equipment or putting my health at risk in any way it's none of my business. If weed brings comfort and peace to you than please do. In fact do it more. Have all the weed. You sound like you desperately need it. But don't invent BS fairy stories about weed's medical properties that have less than zero to do with reality. There's plenty of legit reasons to back legalization without literally pulling them out of your backside.

Last edited:
Exactly the kind of mature and nuanced responce I'd expect from the tolerant left. If weed brings comfort and peace to you than please do. In fact do it more. Have all the weed. You sound like you desperately need it, But don't invent BS fairy stories about weed's medical properties that have less than zero to do with reality.

Joker is nowhere near a lefty FYI.

And I'm nowhere near an alt-right yahoo. I'm fully prepared to let the benefits of marijuana be properly and scientifically explored. I'm not prepared to sit there and let them be exaggerated.

Oh and I got to love the lame attempt at ad homenim. I suffer from large scale clinical depression that's sabotaged every effort I've made to lose weight and destroyed almost every prospect I've ever had of education or meaningful employment. Thank you for being oh-so-tolerant of my disability.

Oh and I got to love the lame attempt at ad homenim. I suffer from large scale clinical depression that's sabotaged every effort I've made to lose weight and destroyed almost every prospect I've ever had of education or meaningful employment. Thank you for being oh-so-tolerant of my disability.
Your depression prevents you from getting on a treadmill or eating a salad? Maybe you should try smoking some weed. ;)

Your depression prevents you from getting on a treadmill or eating a salad? Maybe you should try smoking some weed. ;)
Well let's assume for a second that you're not being a raging jerk just because it's the Internet so you can, and I'll explain the basics of living with depression to you.

Getting on a treadmill or eating a salad once is not a problem. On a good day I can do just about everything that an ordinary human of my size and shape can do and I usually try to rally and do some corrective stuff when I'm having a peak -- you know, go on a few more walks around the neighborhood, work in the garden, put a bit more green into my diet, that kind of thing. Days like that I'm feeling good, and it's easy to expand my repertoire and try new things. Or buckle down to something that pushes me physically. The good days are all fine for that kind of thing.

The problem is the bad days. Especially when they become bad weeks and bad months. There's days that literally all I can do is sit in a chair and turn on the radio to try to make the world go away. On a bad day, it's just about all I can do not to become a hermit When those days chain long enough my two steps forward become five steps back. And it's awful hard to maintain a consistent work schedule and lifetsyle when you don't even know which version of you is gonna wake up in the morning. On the whole I am trying, but it's like trying to shovel sand with a whisk.

I'm pretty sure that if someone took the time to study my posting style, it's pretty obvious that there's days when I'm pretty together and able to contribute some good takes to the discussion, and days when I'm all over the place, no attention to detail, obvious spelling and factual errors, that kind of thing. That's the difference between good days and bad days.

I am blessed in this sense: I have never hit the worst troughs I read about sometimes. I don't have days where I'm sitting there thinking of the several different ways I can kill myself. I don't have urges towards self-harm. My depression usually manifests more like extreme demotivation, where willing myself to do every little thing is 40 times harder. Again, I could probably overcome it, and I certainly have been able to fight through my bad moments when I've had to. The hard part is doing it consistently, even when it's the absolute last thing I want to do. That's a hurdle I've never been able to clear.

Well let's assume for a second that you're not being a raging jerk just because it's the Internet so you can, and I'll explain the basics of living with depression to you.

Getting on a treadmill or eating a salad once is not a problem. On a good day I can do just about everything that an ordinary human of my size and shape can do and I usually try to rally and do some corrective stuff when I'm having a peak -- you know, go on a few more walks around the neighborhood, work in the garden, put a bit more green into my diet, that kind of thing. Days like that I'm feeling good, and it's easy to expand my repertoire and try new things. Or buckle down to something that pushes me physically. The good days are all fine for that kind of thing.

The problem is the bad days. Especially when they become bad weeks and bad months. There's days that literally all I can do is sit in a chair and turn on the radio to try to make the world go away. On a bad day, it's just about all I can do not to become a hermit When those days chain long enough my two steps forward become five steps back. And it's awful hard to maintain a consistent work schedule and lifetsyle when you don't even know which version of you is gonna wake up in the morning. On the whole I am trying, but it's like trying to shovel sand with a whisk.

I'm pretty sure that if someone took the time to study my posting style, it's pretty obvious that there's days when I'm pretty together and able to contribute some good takes to the discussion, and days when I'm all over the place, no attention to detail, obvious spelling and factual errors, that kind of thing. That's the difference between good days and bad days.

I am blessed in this sense: I have never hit the worst troughs I read about sometimes. I don't have days where I'm sitting there thinking of the several different ways I can kill myself. I don't have urges towards self-harm. My depression usually manifests more like extreme demotivation, where willing myself to do every little thing is 40 times harder. Again, I could probably overcome it, and I certainly have been able to fight through my bad moments when I've had to. The hard part is doing it consistently, even when it's the absolute last thing I want to do. That's a hurdle I've never been able to clear.
I'm breaking your balls, bud. Depressions sucks. Best of luck.

I get it, in terms of everything in moderation, but there are probably around 100 million people in our country who believe that weed is totally harmless, and I'm not so sure that's the case; hence the hope for some research on the long term effects of the lungs.

If people are going to consider it as a daily alternative to pain meds, then they need to know once and for all the level of damage that it does to your lungs. From everything that I've gathered thus far, the opinions are split and the long term research has been scarce.
I remember coughing after toking. Maybe my lungs were telling me something? I'm all for legalizing it, but let's not pretend ingesting smoke is harmless.

KontradictioN: Figured you might be, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. You've usually been alright from what I've seen here.

I remember coughing after toking. Maybe my lungs were telling me something. I'm all for legalizing it, but let's not pretend ingesting smoke is harmless.
That's the problem with government overreach. The backlash tends to be an overreach too. And it takes awhile for things to pendulum back and forth until hopefully we reach a good middle ground.

Though honestly I think we're pretty close with medical mary and less strict enforcement.

So easy to trigger
Huh? I'm saying you're as much an ***hole as I am an unemployed Sanders supporter. Dunno why you need to change the subject to guns.

Or are you high right now? :D

Exactly the kind of mature and nuanced responce I'd expect from the tolerant left.

I have nothing against weed. What I hate is the snake oil, lies, and BS based on a half understood story about a half finished study based on a shaky premise.

Weed has some medical applications. It can be used to dull pain. It can be used to block symptoms. It has beneficial theraputic effects for certain ailments, usually based on preventing the brain from overreacting to them by putting a hard governor on its ability to fire the pain receptors. I'd rate the recreational to medicinal use ratio at something like 40,000:1, and have no problem with that as long as the medical needs are served.

Nor do I really have any issue with recreational weed, as long as you're not operating heavy equipment or putting my health at risk in any way it's none of my business. If weed brings comfort and peace to you than please do. In fact do it more. Have all the weed. You sound like you desperately need it. But don't invent BS fairy stories about weed's medical properties that have less than zero to do with reality. There's plenty of legit reasons to back legalization without literally pulling them out of your backside.

are you an autistic individual or what? I distinctly and specifically stated in print that I don't use marijuana in any form. My point is YOU are a ridiculous friggin' troll, making asinine posts like your first and now this one. The only snake oil salesman in this thread is YOU, spewing this warmed over Anslinger hysteria propped up by naked lies. FOAD.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back