PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Weed helps prevent CTE?

Again, though, the one and only concern that I have is that 9/10 people who believe that it should be legalized have no issue with smoking it and believe that it's totally harmless. That is the one area that needs to be addressed because over 90% of those using it are still smoking it. I imagine that we'll see that number drop as edibles and oils become more readily available, but I can't imagine it ever going below about 75%.

Been to an edible store? They are like old fashioned candy stores, with big glass cases of multicolored, multi-flavored options, and cute young ladies with big smiles very happy to help you out. Once you've had that experience, it is a lot easier to give up smoking it.

The primary problem with smoking it are the agricultural chemicals used in the mass producing of it. That stuff is toxic just in its natural state; burning it and inhaling it? Yikes.

Every once in a while you hear some anonymous/former player say some high percentage of the NFL smokes weed. I assume they mean literally smoking it, so I wonder how they manage to stay so good at running.

People who smoke weed don't smoke a whole pack of 20 cigars like Marlboro a day, they smoke 1 a day, sometimes even with days apart. Of course there are the guys who smoke a lot but I think it's a minority. So if you question is about aerobic capacity 1 blunt here and there won't do much damage.

Yeah its definitely a joke. I think its mainly because of Pharma.. they can't patent the plant because of its biochemical structure.. I think. And apparently weed can really help aid a boat load of ailments. And it also can get you extremely high. And its one of the safest recreational drugs you can do.

Actually, the real reason is more bureaucratic. The tax money the government would collect off of legal weed is less than the ATF seizes trying to stop the illicit trade...as told by a former ATF agent.

People who smoke weed don't smoke a whole pack of 20 cigars like Marlboro a day, they smoke 1 a day, sometimes even with days apart. Of course there are the guys who smoke a lot but I think it's a minority. So if you question is about aerobic capacity 1 blunt here and there won't do much damage.

Yeah, I might take two hits in one night. I also only smoke two nights a week, sometimes three.

Lol sometimes I forget that there are people who practice moderation with weed. That being said, I suppose even I manage to go on 3 mile runs at ~9 mins per. Maybe it's just my youth, along with that not actually being particularly fast.

Lol sometimes I forget that there are people who practice moderation with weed. That being said, I suppose even I manage to go on 3 mile runs at ~9 mins per. Maybe it's just my youth, along with that not actually being particularly fast.
It's just your youth. That will eventually catch up with you if you're smoking that much. I had an old roommate that smoked like you do when he was in college. I'd get up to go to class and he'd have a test to take and he was ripping bong hits before it. At like 8:00 in the morning. Some people are really productive when they're high and it just evens them out. He's actually an industrial engineer now but I have no clue if he still smokes like he used to.

I have finished the Harpoom 5 mile race with 7 minute miles. Half-marathon with 8:12 minute miles. stupid smoking pot is slowing me down.

OK, no. I can buy some of the proposed magical properties of weed as a blunter of pain and easer of symptoms. And it might be able to treat the symptoms of a concussion even, it's a strong claim but I'll let that go for the sake of argument.

There is a LOT of snake oil and hyperbole going down on the subject of marijuana. It does have some uses, but people are inventing near-magical properties of this herb out of the woodwork for the sole sake of justifying their own consumption, and 99% of it is BS practically designed to reveal the complete medical ignorance of its own proponents.

Unless a treatment is specifically for pain, masking symptoms is not treatment, and the most Marijuana is doing in nearly all of these cases is dulling or hiding the symptoms. If people start thinking marijuana is "treating" some of these conditions, PEOPLE WILL DIE when the symptoms they're using weed to hide from turn out to be warning signs of conditions, or complications of their condition, that should have been examined and treated by a fully licensed medical professional.

Even if weed is masking the symptoms, damage is still being done and CTE is the result of that cumulative damage. Weed doesn't magically heal the brain. The most it could possibly do is mask the symptoms -- and after a certain point masking the symptoms of a cumulative-trauma injury actually makes it worse, as it invites more trauma.

tl;dr the weed community NEEDS to reel itself back in if it doesn't want marijuana to become the next snake oil -- if indeed it's not already too late.

Last edited:
OK, no. I can buy some of the proposed magical properties of weed as a blunter of pain and easer of symptoms. And it might be able to treat the symptoms of a concussion even, it's a strong claim but I'll let that go for the sake of argument.

There is a LOT of snake oil and hyperbole going down on the subject of marijuana. It does have some uses, but people are inventing near-magical properties of this herb out of the woodwork for the sole sake of justifying their own consumption, and 99% of it is BS practically designed to reveal the complete medical ignorance of its own proponents.

Unless a treatment is specifically for pain, masking symptoms is not treatment, and the most Marijuana is doing in nearly all of these cases is dulling or hiding the symptoms. If people start thinking marijuana is "treating" some of these conditions, PEOPLE WILL DIE when the symptoms they're using weed to hide from turn out to be warning signs of conditions, or complications of their condition, that should have been examined and treated by a fully licensed medical professional.

Even if weed is masking the symptoms, damage is still being done and CTE is the result of that cumulative damage. Weed doesn't magically heal the brain. The most it could possibly do is mask the symptoms -- and after a certain point masking the symptoms of a cumulative-trauma injury actually makes it worse, as it invites more trauma.

tl;dr the weed community NEEDS to reel itself back in if it doesn't want marijuana to become the next snake oil -- if indeed it's not already too late.
Wow, I couldn't agree more.

First off, let me establish that I am pro-weed and support the legalization of it.

However, the fervently pro-weed crowd evangelizes marijuana as such a magical panacea that it's almost impossible to take them seriously. What you described above is becoming so common that is starting to look like a caricature of a real argument.

Weed is a recreational drug. Within reason, people should have the choice to put what they want in their body. But please, can we stop romanticizing it as a wonder drug that will unite the world in peace and harmony?

Would like to see some long term research done regarding the lungs, but it's good to keep pushing the issue into the spotlight.
Here in Colorado, I'd say the majority of "smokers" are using concentrates (dabs) over flower. That means you are inhaling practically no plant matter.

It's worse for you to breathe the air in a big city than it is to smoke concentrates.

I always wondered why "banging my head against the wall" had no deleterious effects.

Here in Colorado, I'd say the majority of "smokers" are using concentrates (dabs) over flower. That means you are inhaling practically no plant matter.

It's worse for you to breathe the air in a big city than it is to smoke concentrates.
Yeah, something about needing a blowtorch to smoke your Cannabis freaks me out. You crazy ass Colorado people. :D

Your point is quite valid that it's a much purer form that seems to be a safe alternative, though.

Yeah, something about needing a blowtorch to smoke your Cannabis freaks me out. You crazy ass Colorado people. :D
Ya, I stick to the flower because I'm stuck in my ways, but also because when I smoke my bong, it looks like I'm smoking weed. When you dab, I think it looks like a combination of heating up heroin and smoking a crack pipe.

Ya, I stick to the flower because I'm stuck in my ways, but also because when I smoke my bong, it looks like I'm smoking weed. When you dab, I think it looks like a combination of heating up heroin and smoking a crack pipe.

I only use my vape pen and oil cartridges. None of that tar crap in the lungs and since i made the switch..I don't have that burnt out feeling If i do smoke too much

I hear weed also helps you sit around all day, not have a job, play video games, eat potato chips all day, hope for government handouts, and vote for Bernie Sanders
:D:D:D:D:D:D
Get off my lawn

I hear weed also helps you sit around all day, not have a job, play video games, eat potato chips all day, hope for government handouts, and vote for Bernie Sanders
:D:D:D:D:D:D
Not really, but it does help you to not be an *******.

Assumptions, assumptions.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back