PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Weed helps prevent CTE?

I'm sold:).......kidding. tried it, really tried it Wanted to fit in. That was 40 years ago. I don't begrudge anyone casual use though

Last edited:
absolutely disgusting weed is listed as a schedule 1 drug. no medical use? what a joke. **** politicians

Yeah its definitely a joke. I think its mainly because of Pharma.. they can't patent the plant because of its biochemical structure.. I think. And apparently weed can really help aid a boat load of ailments. And it also can get you extremely high. And its one of the safest recreational drugs you can do.

Believe it or not, consuming marijuana over an extended period of time produces an increase in a substance known as blocoptyfil. This substance is present in bone tissue, particularly in the skull. As a result, it can serve to not only protect the bone and tissue itself, but goes one step further in minimizing the "empty space" between bone and the parts/organs it surrounds. In the case of concussions and brain trauma, it makes sense that it could help mitigate the repeated damage caused in a sport like football. But yeah..I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about here..

Would like to see some long term research done regarding the lungs, but it's good to keep pushing the issue into the spotlight.

Yes, of course, but the high majority of people in this country who are using it are smoking it. Edibles, oils, etc are certainly becoming more popular though, so I'd love to see a more widespread level of acceptance, particularly if that means opioid abuse is down and people are finding relief.

I am however, skeptical, and rightfully so, of those who believe they can smoke it on a daily basis and that it won't have any negative effects on their lungs down the road. That makes zero sense to me, and I'd like to finally see some solid, long term research done on the subject.

Would like to see some long term research done regarding the lungs, but it's good to keep pushing the issue into the spotlight.

There's really nothing to spotlight.

Reality: Weed is bad, Booze is bad, Tobacco is bad
Also Reality: Weed is good, Booze is good, Tobacco is good

The rest is all political agenda.

There's really nothing to spotlight.

Reality: Weed is bad, Booze is bad, Tobacco is bad
Also Reality: Weed is good, Booze is good, Tobacco is good

The rest is all political agenda.
I get it, in terms of everything in moderation, but there are probably around 100 million people in our country who believe that weed is totally harmless, and I'm not so sure that's the case; hence the hope for some research on the long term effects of the lungs.

If people are going to consider it as a daily alternative to pain meds, then they need to know once and for all the level of damage that it does to your lungs. From everything that I've gathered thus far, the opinions are split and the long term research has been scarce.

The marrywanner is good for a number of ailments. It's been used by civilizations as far back as the Sumerians. Of course it's illegal. Why the hell would anybody want this evil, pernicious, non-addictive herbal remedy to be freely available when this would cut into the profits of Big Pharm from the marketing and sale of "wonder drugs" like Valium and Xanax (vicious, superaddictive ,vile pharmaceuticals brought to you by the makers of amphetamine, tuinal, seconal, methaqualone and a host of other "harmless" legal remedies). Just doesn't make sense.

Every once in a while you hear some anonymous/former player say some high percentage of the NFL smokes weed. I assume they mean literally smoking it, so I wonder how they manage to stay so good at running.

I get it, in terms of everything in moderation, but there are probably around 100 million people in our country who believe that weed is totally harmless, and I'm not so sure that's the case; hence the hope for some research on the long term effects of the lungs.

If people are going to consider it as a daily alternative to pain meds, then they need to know once and for all the level of damage that it does to your lungs. From everything that I've gathered thus far, the opinions are split and the long term research has been scarce.

Fair enough. List marijuana as something more reasonable than a schedule 1 narcotic, and mj can be researched. Cbd treatments show strong anecdotal evidence of holding medicinal value. To the point families were uprooting to colorado after they legalized mmj to avoid scrutiny.

I have heard an anecdote through close family, about a father that sought out a mmj card to great benefit of his child. Literally unable to speak, to asking for breakfast.

I know someone upset with the state of mmj dispencaries in MA. A family member of his recently passed, at advanced age, with Parkinson's. Hiw many years after "we the people" passed mmj to now, and how many dispensaries are there?

You do not have to burn mj to consume it. Vaping, for one, does not physically burn the plant matter (ok, I'm being an argumentative **** here). In all seriousness, tinctures can be used to transfer the compounds present within the plant at staggeringly high concentrations. When made correctly, these would be much devoid of the specific thc compounds associated with impairement. Generally, to create an edible with impairement in mind, the flowers need to be heated, a process called decarbing.

I would wager everything i own that a naturally rolled "joint," of organically grown and properly dried mj (rolled from a properly dried leaf) is at a minimum "less bad for you" than a commercially bought cigarette. Is smoking anything good for your lungs? I doubt it. 1 ml of a strong tincture in some iced tea...you'll be floating, hungry and happy.

Fair enough. List marijuana as something more reasonable than a schedule 1 narcotic, and mj can be researched. Cbd treatments show strong anecdotal evidence of holding medicinal value. To the point families were uprooting to colorado after they legalized mmj to avoid scrutiny.

I have heard an anecdote through close family, about a father that sought out a mmj card to great benefit of his child. Literally unable to speak, to asking for breakfast.

I know someone upset with the state of mmj dispencaries in MA. A family member of his recently passed, at advanced age, with Parkinson's. Hiw many years after "we the people" passed mmj to now, and how many dispensaries are there?

You do not have to burn mj to consume it. Vaping, for one, does not physically burn the plant matter (ok, I'm being an argumentative **** here). In all seriousness, tinctures can be used to transfer the compounds present within the plant at staggeringly high concentrations. When made correctly, these would be much devoid of the specific thc compounds associated with impairement. Generally, to create an edible with impairement in mind, the flowers need to be heated, a process called decarbing.

I would wager everything i own that a naturally rolled "joint," of organically grown and properly dried mj (rolled from a properly dried leaf) is at a minimum "less bad for you" than a commercially bought cigarette. Is smoking anything good for your lungs? I doubt it. 1 ml of a strong tincture in some iced tea...you'll be floating, hungry and happy.
I'm all for it, particularly since I've been experiencing chronic pain/sciatica/herniation of the back for the past couple of years, and often only get a handful of hours sleep per day at random intervals.

I actually used it very sparingly at night to try to alleviate some of the pain for a handful of months, both pre-op and post-op. I'm not able to continue that due to needing to be able to pass tests for employment, as well as my concerns with the potential damage to the lungs. Someone like me could benefit greatly from more widespread acceptance/legalization, particularly when I only take very little amounts of the pain meds that are prescribed to me because they're physically addictive. In other words, I needlessly suffer because I do not have the luxury of having edibles, oils, etc readily available, and I need to pass tests. That sucks. Actually, it's awful.

Again, though, the one and only concern that I have is that 9/10 people who believe that it should be legalized have no issue with smoking it and believe that it's totally harmless. That is the one area that needs to be addressed because over 90% of those using it are still smoking it. I imagine that we'll see that number drop as edibles and oils become more readily available, but I can't imagine it ever going below about 75%. The fact remains that people enjoy smoking it. They like the advancement in technology/growing strains/heightened THC, potent smell, etc. They like having the option to choose many different kinds, blends, "cool" names, etc. It's very appealing in that sense. Hell, even with my concerns I'd still prefer to take a few hits before bed every night, but I really think we need some additional research, which the government has been hesitant to fund.

In other words (sorry for the long winded response), if NFL players + Parkinson's + chronic pain and depression patients are going to take it, they need to know that they'll have to resort to alternative ways once and for all. We'll all need to know that smoking it is bad on the lungs (if what they say about one joint = 20 cigarettes is true, due to the resin/tar) which would change the game, forever. It would be on par to the eradication of cigarette smoking that we've seen in the past 10 years, only we'd finally all agree that mmj is both legal and medicinal.

The fact that it's currently listed as CI, while a bunch of poison they've given me like Fentanyl, Morphine, etc is CII is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:
If Monsanto, Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson had a dog in this fight it would be legal..

The problem with M is anyone can grow it, and big pharma cannot control the market...

In RI all you need is a green card and you can find someone who will grow it for you and the grower can keep some for themselves.

images

If Monsanto, Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson had a dog in this fight it would be legal..

The problem with M is anyone can grow it, and big pharma cannot control the market...

In RI all you need is a green card and you can find someone who will grow it for you and the grower can keep some for themselves.

images
It's going to be legal whether Big Pharma likes it or not. They're only delaying the inevitable. From a business standpoint, they're idiots for opposing it instead of getting out in front of it. That's akin to the utility industries in the South opposing solar energy at every turn instead of incorporating it in and giving their customers a choice.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back