PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers are in trouble at QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like Roethlisberger is going to be out of the game this weekend, possibly longer. It was also announced today that his primary back up, Charlie Batch, is out for 6 weeks with wrist surgery. The Steelers could be in trouble if Roethlisberger is out longer than this weekend. There is a lot of teams in the AFC with 5-7 wins including the Pats, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Chargers, Jags, Houston, and Broncos. Indy all but locked up the division. The Pats should win the East. The Steelers face a tough battle for the North losing both games to the Bengals.

So the Steelers are likely fighting for a Wild Card. They play the Ravens this weekend and if the Ravens win, they will be tied at 6-5 with the Ravens with the tiebreaker at least for the moment (they will have split their head to head and the Ravens will have a better division record). The two teams in the South have relatively easy schedules the rest of the way.

Damn, tough break w/ Batch. It's looking increasingly likely that they might miss the playoffs altogether. That's just bad luck, though- is there any team that could survive losing two player's of Roethlisberger's and Polamalu's caliber? BTW- I don't believe in karma, but I'm definitely nodding a bit after the whole Bernard Pollard fan club crap. The Steelers fold like nobody's business when they have injuries that are even a fraction as impactful as Brady's.

Last edited:
Big Ben had a mild concussion - Its near certain he will be back this weekend.

Jeff Garcia could find his way to the Steel City soon.

Okay, I'll be the first to say it. Steelers fans thought it was funny that Brady got injured in a Chiefs game last year... karma much?

Okay, I'll be the first to say it. Steelers fans thought it was funny that Brady got injured in a Chiefs game last year... karma much?

Yeah, i have no sympathy for those scumbags.

I feel bad for Big Ben, but before you feel for Steelers fans too, just remember this...

bernard-pollard-tee_red.jpg

This is a serious situation for Rthlsbrgr. This year as previously the guy is a concussion dummy. There's plenty of evidence that risking more head blows too soon after a concussion, I don't care how mild, leads to substantive risk of serious mid life cerebral impairment. There is NO contract worth any amount of money worth taking a big risk in that regard. Taking rational risk is what life is about but there is no need to bias the odds strongly against you.

Ben got his bell rung pretty good. Thing is it's hard to tell with Ben...and this is his fourth concussion in the last couple of seasons starting with his off the field face plant. Coming back after that one he was rough. And I believe he's struggled coming off them since although he's the type to try to selfishly/bravely depending on your POV play through it. There's a lot of chatter this week about the league looking into mandatory post concussion sitdowns on a graduated schedule and neurologists on the sidelines of every game.

Isn't there a rule now that a player has to be cleared by an independent neurologist to return.
I don't think any of them will put a player back in a week after concussion.

I admit I might have jumped the gun about him being out, but I wouldn't be filling out your starting line up for the Steelers. Concussions are tricky.

+2 to MoLewis and P.W.P.

I'm hopeful that Big Ben doesn't suffer a major, lifechanging brain injury because he gets hit the wrong way after coming back too soon.

Wouldn't you think that owners would be willing to step up the level of scrutiny over a concussed player's game availability if for not other reason than to protect their investment? Is there anyone actively opposing efforts to increase awareness of how serious multiple, frequent concussions can be?

This is a serious situation for Rthlsbrgr. This year as previously the guy is a concussion dummy. There's plenty of evidence that risking more head blows too soon after a concussion, I don't care how mild, leads to substantive risk of serious mid life cerebral impairment. There is NO contract worth any amount of money worth taking a big risk in that regard. Taking rational risk is what life is about but there is no need to bias the odds strongly against you.
Forget even the long-term consequences for the moment, which admittedly are severe. The short-term consequences aren't good as Brian Westbrook showed: Get a concussion, play too soon and you're very susceptible to another one. Like playing with other injuries, they can be aggrevated if you don't let them heal.

Don't mess with your noggin.

Regards,
Chris

I feel bad for Big Ben, but before you feel for Steelers fans too, just remember this...

bernard-pollard-tee_red.jpg

Wow that is awful.

Big Ben had a mild concussion - Its near certain he will be back this weekend.

Jeff Garcia could find his way to the Steel City soon.

Garcia would be a nice fill in starter and a solid backup for that team.

See Brian Westbrook.

Steelers are a good team with a lame coach IMO. I know a lot of people like Tomlin, but I'm not a fan.

The Steelers should be running the ball more than 15 time a game, and passing less than 45 times a game. They aren't the Patriots or Colts.....

Forget even the long-term consequences for the moment, which admittedly are severe. The short-term consequences aren't good as Brian Westbrook showed: Get a concussion, play too soon and you're very susceptible to another one. Like playing with other injuries, they can be aggrevated if you don't let them heal.

Don't mess with your noggin.

Regards,
Chris

Didn't see this before I posted my comment about Westbrook. So true.

Concussions are serious business.

Having said that - my money is that Ben plays. He'll be the "gunslinger" type who surives motorcycle crashes and who plays after being "dinged". I think it's bad policy, but maybe football players don't take care of themselves enough when it comes to this type of injury.

If they had Batch, it'd be another thing... but even though they have "open tryouts" on Tuesday, can they really contend vs the Ravens with a random dude off the street ? Were it not for their craziness and inability to score on 1st and goal, they'd have beaten Indy.

Hope Ben is ok. For those of us who have had concussions, I'm sure you can attest to how much they suck to recover from.

I'd take a knee injury any day of the week.

My .02$

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes