PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Stafford a Hall of Famer?

He probably has the most 4th quarter non comebacks too.
When you always trail going into the 4th you have more comebacks that a guy who always leads going into the 4th.

Then Brady’s comebacks are useless, if that is your reasoning.

Statistically, he‘s a little above average. When you count efficiency and longevity together, he’s in a spot where maybe he has a case, but it’s not like he’s near the best of his generation.

There’s no way “he’s in” right now. In 2012, Joe Flacco would have had a better claim of “he’s in” than Stafford right now. Stafford is a 1X pro bowler, 0x all-pro, career sub-.500 quarterback. The Super Bowl is a huge boost for him, but it’s possible a player is “good,” wins a championship, and falls short of Hall of Fame territory. Let’s say theoretically a guy like Vinny Testaverde won a championship with the Jets in 1998. Is he a Hall of Famer? He would have a similar claim as Stafford, based on his stats adjusted for era.
If he had won SB MVP that would have helped. The entire game was won by Donald and Kupp.

?

I didn't even say anything bad.

You don't know me. Who are you to know if I'm a jackass or not?

You're just cluttering up this forum with useless threads.

My criteria for HOF is simple when you say the name what is your immediate gut reaction?

No.
No thanks.
The NYFL HOF is a joke.

Plunkett is the anomaly though. I mean Eli is getting in and so is Ben. So I think Stafford has an excellent chance. He is only 34 and he is on a team that is built to win now. The NFC is a joke on top. Rams will be the heavy favorite next year to return.
Maybe Gisele was paid off by Kroenke. :)

If you're comparing Stafford to Bledsoe then you know he doesn't belong in the HOF. No offense to Bledsoe, he and Parcells gave new life to a dying franchise, but he is not a HOFer. He did make 4 pro bowls and he did lead the NFL is passing yards once, so he's got that over Stafford. The killer for Bledsoe is the brutal postseason numbers.

Stafford just had a very good postseason (with an underwhelming SB performance imo) so it's fresh but with some distance I think the sum of his career will come into focus. Which to this point is a good quarterback with one SB ring on a stacked team. This SB takes him out of the underachieving category but it doesn't also put him in the HOF. He probably has 3-5 more seasons to bolster his case.
I don't agree that the Pats were a dying franchise. They were in the SB in the 80s against a defense that hadn't been scored on in the playoffs. Before that we had one stolen by Ben Dreith in the 70s. As for Tuna and Drew, they both contributed to a loss in another SB in the 90s. Then came 2001 and the rest is dynasty. :)

No.

Come on now.

How diluted do you want the HOF to get?

I wouldn't put Eli Manning in the HOF, he fails the simple test of asking "Is this one of the greatest players at this position of all-time?" Regardless, my gut reaction is that there is no way he doesn't get in - having both the New York + Manning royalty bias is real.

That being said, E. Manning becomes the bar for Stafford and if he were to ever get a second ring, he would be a HOFer as he's on pace to surpass him statistically/would match the rings.

So the answer is currently no, but one more ring makes it a legitimate discussion.
That's one of the problems with any HOF. Once you lower the bar too low you've set the bar there, like you did with Eli and Stafford.

IMO Eli doesn't belong there because of the way he bilked charities with his game-worn helmets. Who knows how much he made on that scam?

He will get in imo. SB win and passing yardage will be enough.

Thing is, if he's in, should Matt Ryan be in too? Ryan has the MVP.

Thoughts?

Whether he should be in is a different question.
HELL NO! No MVP, One pro bowl, No All Pro and never even one of the top five QB's in the NFL at any point in his career. The Hall of Fame is becoming the Hall of Above Average....the NFL needs to look at MLB and get it right.

Then Brady’s comebacks are useless, if that is your reasoning.
Are you that dumb it is your agenda blinding you?

If 2 QBs play 100 games
Qb1 wins 75% of his games and leads going into the 4th quarter 60 times and wins 15 of the 40 he was trailing and QB2 wins 45% of the time and leads 29 times then wins 16 of the 71 he was trailing who is better at winning a game they are losing going into the 4th quarter?

Because the amount of opportunities is a consideration rather than the raw number, how in the world do use that to conclude comebacks are useless?

Start thinking a bit, it will make your posts less ignorant.

Are you that dumb it is your agenda blinding you?

If 2 QBs play 100 games
Qb1 wins 75% of his games and leads going into the 4th quarter 60 times and wins 15 of the 40 he was trailing and QB2 wins 45% of the time and leads 29 times then wins 16 of the 71 he was trailing who is better at winning a game they are losing going into the 4th quarter?

Because the amount of opportunities is a consideration rather than the raw number, how in the world do use that to conclude comebacks are useless?

Start thinking a bit, it will make your posts less ignorant.

What? You were the one who said Stafford's comebacks don't count because he had a lot of non-comebacks. Tell me, how many "non-comebacks" did Stafford have? Stafford is number 1 in the league since 2009 with 4th quarter comebacks...that is a fact. Just because he's ranked higher than Tommy Boy in that same period doesn't mean you have to get all worked up about it. If you are going to discount someone's comeback total, then you have to do it for other QBs as well.

Last edited:
What? You were the one who said Stafford's comebacks don't count because he had a lot of non-comebacks. Tell me, how many "non-comebacks" did Stafford have? Stafford is number 1 in the league since 2009 with 4th quarter comebacks...that is a fact. Just because he's ranked higher than Tommy Boy in that same period doesn't mean you have to get all worked up about it. If you are going to discount someone's comeback total, then you have to do it for other QBs as well.
Do it for all QBs. That is my point. You aren’t a better qb because you are always behind after 3 and pull a few out.

When did I say anything “didn’t count”?

I think you answered my question with “both”.

Last edited:
Its not basketball, where everybody gets in

Career record
86-95-1 :oops:

Not a HOF QB

And that includes playing 1/2 his career with perhaps the 3rd best WR in NFL history.
he also played 9/10 of his career in Detroit though

he also played 9/10 of his career in Detroit though
Almost every great qb started with a bad team and elevated it.

This seems like a weird hill to die on. Stafford if he retired today is not a HOFer and he very likely never will be. Not sure why you're getting all worked up about that.

This seems like a weird hill to die on. Stafford if he retired today is not a HOFer and he very likely never will be. Not sure why you're getting all worked up about that.

I never said Stafford was a HOFer as of now. I said if he gets another SB it's a different story. You simply cannot discount his stats though. I think if McVay doesn't retire and he continues to have solid seasons with the Rams over the next couple of years, he can make a case for the HOF.

I never said Stafford was a HOFer as of now. I said if he gets another SB it's a different story. You simply cannot discount his stats though. I think if McVay doesn't retire and he continues to have solid seasons with the Rams over the next couple of years, he can make a case for the HOF.
His odds are better for sure if he is a 2 time Super Bowl winner than they are today but still unlikely. The Rams didn't get to and win the SB because of anything he did. He is Hall of Good caliber, not Hall of Fame.

George Blanda, who is in the HOF, might be a good example of a quarterback who didn't really elevate his teams (in the NFL) and somehow got into the HOF. He did have 27,000 yards, 36 TDs, and 277 INTs.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back