PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Roethlisberger not exactly a gentleman on the night of the incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
If .0000000001% of men who didn't respect women assaulted women then your "more likely" argument is sort of misleading.

Is that the %?

Then I guess more respect for women won't improve the number of assaults against women.

Restate this so I can better understand. Right now it seems to suggest that there is not a correlation between that type of man and rapists.

Let's get specific here. Let's talk about Ben. I think he is more apt to assault a woman because I know he grabbed a woman's breasts in a bar. Many men would never do that. He's more apt to assault women than men who would never do it.

The reason I wrote that sentence (and botched it) was to disabuse people from the idea that I believed there was an absolute connection between lack of respect for women and rape. I do think there's a connection--not for the majority of men who disrespect women or even a large minority, but I don't think the number is inconsiderable either (.00000000001) given the statistics on sexual assault.

Sorry to start a new thread rather than add to the existing thread on the alleged sexual assault. However, this topic is actually a new story about the incident and otherwise would not be looked at while at the bottom of the other thread.

Amber Hanley is a 21-year-old college student. Reportedly, she and a few friends were also in the VIP area with Roethlisberger. Amber Hanley said she asked the Steelers QB to take a photo with her friend, but he "seemed disappointed that's all she wanted."

Amber Hanley said she rolled her eyes, and Roethlisberger called her a name and walked away. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger was seen aggressively hitting on another girl later, Amber Hanley added.

What a winner this guy is. Seriously.

Amber Hanley Details Roethlisberger Friday... | Gather

Geez I now know why he is called Big Ben Lol this is Amber, Ben newest victim:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Bradyfan 75 - you are a hopeless idiot.

Last edited:
That girl's calves have calves

Just to update, the Commissioner just went on record with reporters and said he plans to talk to Ben at the appropriate time. He also stated that the league is concerned he keeps putting himself in this situation...LOL

Via radio this AM, Squealers just signed 35 yr old Charlie Bass to a 2 year contract and Rthlsbrgr will not be attending the voluntary workouts...Hmmmmm

Yeah as I hear that. He is such a "lady killer!" As well as really hit is out in bars!

From the District Attorney's press conference today, although charges have been dropped this is far from over. There's no way Goodell is happy with some of the details (e.g., Roethlisberger buying shots for underage girls; a member of his entourage bringing the obviously intoxicated girl down a hall to a secluded bathroom for Roethlisberger.) This is exactly the type of negative publicity that Goodell was seeking to avoid when he set up the personal conduct policy.

I'm expecting expecting some type of suspension for Roethlisberger. The length will probably be dependent on whether or not Goodell holds Roethlisberger to a higher standard because he is one of the most well known players in the NFL.

After reading the details on this alleged incident, I want to hear from some steelers fans on this. Can you root for a guy like this? Combine this with the other alleged incidents, and it really seems like this guy is a sexual predator. This press is really, really bad for the Steelers and the NFL. At first, I was thinking just a 1 game suspension at the beginning of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 8 now.

BTW, 2 of Ben's bodyguards were 2 of PA's finest...1 a cop and the other a state trooper. It will be interesting to see what happens with them as well.

Monday night Scott Ferrall said there is now a third case pending against Ben. Anyone have any more info?

You wanted a Steeler fan's reaction to all of this, so i suppose I'll chime in with my 2 cents. I've written on this matter extensively, so I'll try to keep it short.

The reaction amongst Steelers fans is pretty mixed, measuring from disappointment to complete outrage. I've heard many die-hard fans, whom I've known for years, say that they would not root for a team lead by Ben. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but that's a bit harsh at this point in my opinion. I don't think anyone can doubt that Ben has strayed out of control and that his actions are embarrassing to the organization, league, and most importantly the fans and city of Pittsburgh. I think any Steelers fan has every right to be downright pissed off.

I've taken a more conservative approach to the situation than many others. Yes, he pisses me off, and part of me wishes someone would kick his teeth in and bring him back to planet Earth. But, then again no one ever claimed that Ben was a genius. In fact, most of us already knew that, at least off the field, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. And like it or not, we all didn't root for Ben because...golly gee he sure is a nice guy. We loved him for what he does on the football field. Although I'm not convinced that he's done anything illegal, his actions are certainly not what the city of Pittsburgh wants as a representation of our city and franchise. I've read the police reports and countless takes on the events of the night down in Georgia, and the story has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. Is Ben a womanizer? Probably. But I don't think he committed any crimes, other than being a dirtbag. And I know PLENTY of other guys who should also be suspended immediately in that case.

All that being said, I think the Rooney's and the Steelers absolutely did the right thing by not trading him away. I can't fault them for listening to offers, but there was little doubt in my mind that anyone would offer fair value for a proven Pro Bowl, two-time Super Bowl Champion, franchise QB. If they would have gotten some crazy-good offer, then I could understand unloading him. But given his current situation, it was very unlikely that an offer like that was coming. At this point, as disappointed as everyone is in him, he has more value on the roster than in a trade. I don't think there could possibly be a more clear warning that he needs to correct himself NOW than what he's gotten. Up to 6 games on the bench and his team is excepting offers, possibly shopping him? If he doesn't get the message and screws up again, then of course I think we'd have to cut our losses and take whatever you could get for him. I'd like to think that this is a major wake-up call for him though, and that he will try to make things right. Only time will tell though.

But let's face it...love him or hate him, he's a true franchise QB. And players like him don't come around that often. If you look back at the string of pathetic QBs we'd had prior to Ben (Kordell, Malone, Brister, Maddox, etc.) it doesn't paint a pretty picture of what the franchise could go through for the next decade without him. He's not the BEST QB in the league, but he's near the top. In fact, besides Brady and Peyton, I don't think I'd want any other guy behind center for my team in the clutch. His stats aren't phenomenal, but he has a knack for getting it done when the game/season is on the line, and that's something that can't be taught. Many clubs search for years, sometimes decades for a true franchise QB, without success. Ben is a proven commodity. It would have been foolish to trade him away for pennies on the dollar. He's had his wake-up call. The line has been drawn in the sand, and I think you have to wait to jump until someone crosses it now.

This isn't a Santonio Holmes type of situation. Holmes had two strikes against him in the Substance Abuse Policy, was going to be suspended for the first 4 games of the season, and the Steelers had no intention of bringing him back after his contract expired at the end of the season anyway. So, it makes sense to take what youu can get for him. Otherwise, you let him walk and get nothing for him. I thought they could have done better than a 5th rounder, but apparently the market for high-end WRs with baggae isn't as high as I thought.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this, but I promised I'd try to keep it short. So there it is in a nutshell. Get an opinion from another Steelers fan, and it's bound to be completely diferent. I've seen/heard it all over the last week or so.

Whatever happens, one thing is certain....we'll see you in Week 10 at Hines Field! :rocker:

Thanks for the insight from a Steelers' fan perspective Triggerfish, very much appreciated.

On a side note for those that are interested the Atlanta Journal Constitution is running a detailed two-part column on the events of that night based on interviews and the 500-page Georgia Bureau of Investigation report.

Roethlisberger was bar-hop pied piper | ajc.com

Thanks for the insight from a Steelers' fan perspective Triggerfish, very much appreciated.

On a side note for those that are interested the Atlanta Journal Constitution is running a detailed two-part column on the events of that night based on interviews and the 500-page Georgia Bureau of Investigation report.

Roethlisberger was bar-hop pied piper | ajc.com

Thanks for the link! Part 1 has been an interesting read.

ESPN has a video clip up from it's OTL piece on Ben that aired this weekend. It revisited a story Ben told ESPN the Mag a few years ago about why he traveled with bodyguards. He said he once had a gun held to his head, although he wouldn't elaborate about how that came to happen... ESPN had an informant tell them that the incident happened outside a bar as Ben was making a move on some girl...and the guy weilding the gun was her boyfriend...

The also had interviews with former players who said the clubhouse was roughly 60/40 disappointed in Ben after his demeanor and behavior seemed to change and his focus seemed to wane after that first superbowl. Finally Joey called him out one day at the end of a team meeting for being the last to arrive, first to leave, and not putting in his time on film and game prep. Cowher was in the meeting and didn't say a word. Players did feel thereafter that things would be better because stuff was out in the open. Although Heinz calling him out last season likely indicates there were still undercurrents.

Now Cowher has finally weighed in. Telling... I always say he saw the handwriting on the wall on this kid...

"I think it's good, in my personal opinion," Cowher told Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton on WFAN. "I think it sends a very strong message that your conduct is something that you're going to be held accountable for. It was well documented what took place, obviously no charges have been filed to this point, but that still does not dismiss any NFL player from the responsibilities that come with their actions when they're in the public eye."

Asked by Esiason whether Roethlisberger is well liked in the Steelers' locker room, Cowher gave an answer that sounded a little uncomfortable and suggested that what the Steelers like about Roethlisberger is confined to what he does on Sundays.

"Uh, you know, I mean, you know what Boom, I think it's all," Cowher stammered at first, before continuing, "I think we like anybody that can help us win football games."

Cowher approves of Roethlisberger suspension | ProFootballTalk.com

Steve DeOssie said today that he thinks there are lots of other embarassing incidents that could come to light in Pittsburgh although it's likely they don't because local authorities swept stuff under the rug. That's probably why Ben's big philanthropic endeavor is providing police dogs for local PA departments... He's a dolt but apparently he's not as stupid as he looks...

You'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who would argue that Ben's not a huge knucklehead. And those guys in the locker room have every right to be pissed, and even to call him out if they see fit. He's supposed to be the leader of the team, and as the leader he should be held to higher standard and expected to set an example to the rest of the guys. If he's not doing his job in that capacity, then he needs to be called out. The team has plenty to be salty about. The negative press surrounding the franchise, the angered fan base, the loss of their starting QB for at least the first 4 games, just to name a few. I'm not suprised that his "approval rating" is down right now amongst the team, as well it should be.

Regarding the issue surrounding his need for security....I'd say he probably does need some sort of entourage, especially if he insists on hanging out in the clubs. Now, in my opinion and hopefully HIS, he needs to stay the hell outta the rock-star club scene, and thus really shouldn't have a need for security. That being said, regardless of what transpired, the punk pulling a gun and putting it to his head is ALWAYS in the wrong. Who knows what happened to prompt it, and I wouldn't be suprised if the mentioned scenerio wasn't something like the real event, but for the media to somehow suggest that he "deserved" having a gun pulled on him is absolutely ridiculous! Not suprising, but ridiculous. The fire has been started, and the media is always more than happy to add fuel to the flames (SpyGate anyone??).

I'm sure Cowher did see the writing on the wall. It didn't take a rocket-scientist (or psycologist) to realize he was becoming a ****y d-bag slowly over time. I have s trong suspicion the he was probably talked to by Tomlin and maybe even the Rooneys prior to all of this. I just don't think he was bright enough to take any warnings he recived seriosuly. If he's doesn't take THIS warning seriously, I don't know what it'll take.

I STILL will stand by my opinion though. The message has been sent, the line drawn in the sand....let the guy have an opportunity to learn from this and win back the respect of the team, fans, and the league. The statement he released today sounded rather scripted, as they almost always are, but let's hope he truly meant it. If he doesn't clean his act up, I'll go on record as the FIRST fan saying to dump him somewhere else in exchange for some used jock straps if need be. Until then, I prefer to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and a second chance. Time will tell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST