PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: my brother is in the ICU (update 9/17, Setting Sail for Parts Unknown)

Glad to hear it. He’s in my prayers.

@Simpelton, with the good news about your brother, have you taken any steps to improve YOUR situation? If not, then here are my recommendations…

1) Find a primary care physician and see them for a full physical, including bloodwork. Since you’re employed now, hopefully you have insurance. If not, look into the ACA. It’s not really affordable for most Americans, but it’s a lot better than going at this problem without insurance or signing up for COBRA. This is probably the most important step because they will be able to screen for any problems (heart, kidneys, liver function, etc) that you may already have and make recommendations from there. Ask them to refer you to a dietician unless you’re confident you can handle that yourself. My recommendation would be the referral. Especially if you have the diabeetus.

2) Get on a diet. If you drink soda or diet soda (which is actually even worse), get off it immediately. Don’t like the taste of water? Get over it. At the very least, switch to the sugar-free Propel. It’s not great for you either, but at least it’s better than soda. At your size, simply dieting will probably knock off anywhere from 50-100 pounds. You’ll notice that your knees and back will feel better immediately.

3) Exercise. This doesn’t mean joining a gym just yet. At the very least, you can walk a mile a day until you’re ready to bump it up to 2, 3, 4 miles. Honestly, for you, I’d recommend yoga. There are free apps that you can download which have 30 minute classes based on your experience. Yoga is great for your body and mind. It’s also one way you can avoid entering a gym if you’re anxious or self-conscious about your lifestyle. And I don’t want to hear about your depression. Many posters here, including myself, have battled that. Your size and lifestyle is only contributing to your depression which, in turn, is contributing to your size. It’s a vicious cycle, but relatively easy to break if you’re willing to put the work in.

4) See both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. The former is to talk about your issues. But the problem will get worse before it gets better. See a psychiatrist to hop on meds to deal with that issue and make the healing process easier on yourself.

I wish you luck and I hope you take this as a wake-up call. Otherwise, it won’t be long until you’re in a similar situation, and that’s IF you don’t drop dead from a massive heart attack first.

Sooo, we just had a big step backwards. Doctors were doing exploratory surgery to find the source of all the pus that's flooding my bro's thoracic cavity and they found a lot of tissue damage, possibly even necrosis. They're thinking they might have to remove part of his intestine but it's hard to confirm because things are so rotten that they bleed at a touch.

Making matters worse, he's now in CoVID protocol because one of the people working with him tested positive for CoVID.

Did I mention my brother only had 1 CoVID shot before all this happened? So that bit of nervousness piled onto the other.

Also for the third time doctors had to get his heart going again. I'm beginning to fear the big guy's body is giving up the fight.

so sorry o hear simpleton, our brother and family are in m prayers

Sooo, we just had a big step backwards. Doctors were doing exploratory surgery to find the source of all the pus that's flooding my bro's thoracic cavity and they found a lot of tissue damage, possibly even necrosis. They're thinking they might have to remove part of his intestine but it's hard to confirm because things are so rotten that they bleed at a touch.

Making matters worse, he's now in CoVID protocol because one of the people working with him tested positive for CoVID.

Did I mention my brother only had 1 CoVID shot before all this happened? So that bit of nervousness piled onto the other.

Also for the third time doctors had to get his heart going again. I'm beginning to fear the big guy's body is giving up the fight.
Thank you for your updates, and here's wishing your brother strength in the face of these complications. I have been very lucky since COVID hit; I have not had a no-other-option reason to be hospitalized. So my mental image is that it is like it used to be, but of course, it must not be, even when there is no COVID involvement. I guess COVID protocol means no visits for now. :( That's terrible all the way around.

You sure don't need advice from me at a distance. You've been there for him, and that's what he'd want of you.

If he is conscious and his body's giving up... if the time comes when you are only there... or not even physically "there"... to ease his passing, it is okay to be that person too. The world's not a Dylan Thomas poem or a football game. Sometimes rah rah sis boom bah fight fight fight is not the order of the day. You'll know. (And I, obviously, DON'T!!! )

Much love to you, your brother, and the family, and I hope that you do have contact with him soon.

Updates?

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Doctors have identified a fungal infestation in my brother's abdomen. I have nooooooooooo idea how that happened. It seems to have been the source of the pus and the swelling. They've got him on an antifungal, and updates have been sparse since then. I'm operating under the theory of "no news is good news." A lack of updates probably indicates a lack of new emergencies.

Still on a ventillator and feeding drip. I get the impression though that it's out of an abundance of caution since his heart has already tried to shut down multiple times. He's awake and responsive at times, the nurse said he was able to follow instructions in a limited way. So that is also an improvement

Improvement is good. :)

Man, this whole thing is like an episode of House. Well, hopefully except for the interpersonal skills of the lead physician.

Best of health to your bro, man. Internal fungal infections are no joke.

What a rollercoaster of a days for you all. Here is hoping the progress continues.

One of the interesting sidenotes of this whole saga is that my brother was more or less the family sous-chef. Neither he nor I were really able to break out of the nest so we try to find ways to be useful, and that was his. He and Mom collaborated on most of the meal planning for the househoold

With him out of action I've moved into the kitchen in order to keep the burden off Mom. She taught all her boys how to cook, and I was no exception but I deferred to my bro because I felt he needed it more. Now I get a bit of time in the sun with the recipes I've worked on over the years but mostly just ate myself. Came out with a really nice teriyaki chicken tonight, Mom made a show of licking the plate. I think she's glad that I'm stepping up. I'm certainly feeling appreciated.

The hospital officially lists my bro in Stable condition. He's on antibiotics, antifungals, and they're considering adding a diuretic, and he's still on a ventillator and feeding tube, but he's not actively dying anymore. So that's a good thing I guess, but he's still in rough shape.

The hospital officially lists my bro in Stable condition. He's on antibiotics, antifungals, and they're considering adding a diuretic, and he's still on a ventillator and feeding tube, but he's not actively dying anymore. So that's a good thing I guess, but he's still in rough shape.

Best wishes for a full and complete recovery for your brother.

We just got the call.

You know the call. The one where the dotors admit they don't know what else to try and the patient isn't improving.

That call.

The one where the fungus infestation and the diabetes and the kidney failure and the necrosis all combine, one after the other, to create an unsurmountable hurdle for the medical team

I thought he was doing better, but now he's developed a pneumonia to go with everything else, and the doctors don't think his body can fight any more. Also his immune response is WAY short of what they were hoping it was.They're asking us the question you never want to be asked when you have a loved one in the ICU. The question that goes "how much are you willing to put him through?"

Yeah, THAT call.

The family network is beginning to rally around us. People are calling in from literally all over the country as the family realizes that it's actually the beginning of the end. We're probably going to make the call to pull the proverbial plug. This is not what any of us wanted.

We just got the call.

You know the call. The one where the dotors admit they don't know what else to try and the patient isn't improving.

That call.

The one where the fungus infestation and the diabetes and the kidney failure and the necrosis all combine, one after the other, to create an unsurmountable hurdle for the medical team

I thought he was doing better, but now he's developed a pneumonia to go with everything else, and the doctors don't think his body can fight any more. Also his immune response is WAY short of what they were hoping it was.They're asking us the question you never want to be asked when you have a loved one in the ICU. The question that goes "how much are you willing to put him through?"

Yeah, THAT call.

The family network is beginning to rally around us. People are calling in from literally all over the country as the family realizes that it's actually the beginning of the end. We're probably going to make the call to pull the proverbial plug. This is not what any of us wanted.

I've recently been cautioned against using the word sorry because it's a word used for posturing.

So, in all sincerity I say this: I cannot imagine what you're dealing with and my only hope is you remember that passing is only hard on the people who are left behind. From what I've read it will be a kindness to your brother.

Thank you for sharing this journey with the rest of us.

We just got the call.

That call.

Yeah, THAT call.

I know it. I lived it just over a month ago.
My heart breaks for you Simpleton.

We just got the call.

That call.

Yeah, THAT call.

So sorry to hear, hoping for a miracle.
The only advice I can offer, from experience, if it comes to that, is don’t burden any one person with the decision, make it as a group.

I'm sorry that things have taken a turn for the worst.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back