PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Football is back Hall of Fame Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This very wealthy league can afford to pay Goodell an annual salary in the $50M range, but can't afford goal line cameras. I can't imagine they're willing to shell out the bucks for sensor technologies.

They won't do it because they either fear or already know what they'll find.

Contact clearly avoidable and player delivering the blow had other options
- pack it in, enroll in detective school
- backpack across Europe
- subscribe to DirecTV, get absorbed into innerspace
- block teammates, opening holes for opponent
- collapse in apparent agony, mimicking World Cup
- shout, "STOP using plastic straws!!"
- join the Peace Corps

Impact, torque, velocity sensors for one.

If they wanted to know how many and how hard a player is hit they could have that data live.

If they were truly concerned about the future consequences of playing football they could track all impact data throughout a player's career.

But hey let's just make a subjective rule and pretend we care.

That Ratbirds tackler had a second and took two steps prior to the hit. It was not head on, and his target looks bigger than him.

Tatum always hit hard. He had Darryl lined up and obviously couldn't care less if the ball is caught. It's head on.

And, also relevant: DB's (that's "defensive backs" or, if you wish, the more accurate description) in the Raiders locker room prior to this game made bets on who could "knock someone out".

It was a preseason game.

It just occurred to me that, based on the wording of the rule and the clips of the hits that drew flags on Thursday night, the hit that knocked Cooks out of the SB probably would've been flagged.

The game changes every few years & decades. It is what it is. One of my favorite quotes "If you don't like change, you'll like irrelevancy even less".

I'm far more concerned about the terrible coaching, drafting & team building going on around the league.

It's easy being a Pats fan but 90% of the product on the field is dogsh it. There's little innovation, most coaches just recycle **** they've seen the previous year(s). You'll see tons of teams copying LA, Jax & some early Houston games from last year.

I'm much more concerned about the actual product then this tbh.

In addition to the helmet rule, I saw a tweet about the new and improved catch rule:

On one hand, it's preseason for the officials, too. Even though this play was reviewed and upheld, you'd hope they realize their error and get it right when the games actually count. On the other hand, they changed the rule because people were mad the Patriots beat the Steelers. Well, this is what you get. The ball can hit the ground without the receiver having control of it and it will still be a catch. I hope these people are happy when their teams gets burned by this.

In addition to the helmet rule, I saw a tweet about the new and improved catch rule:

On one hand, it's preseason for the officials, too. Even though this play was reviewed and upheld, you'd hope they realize their error and get it right when the games actually count. On the other hand, they changed the rule because people were mad the Patriots beat the Steelers. Well, this is what you get. The ball can hit the ground without the receiver having control of it and it will still be a catch. I hope these people are happy when their teams gets burned by this.

My prediction for referee catch calls:

"The ball was still touching the player's jersey......."

"The ball touched the players hand before touching the ground......."

"The movement of the ball after hitting the ground was a controlled motion......."

"The ball was within a one yard vicinity of the player and therefore in the player's personal space which implies control..."

My prediction for referee catch calls:

"The ball was still touching the player's jersey......."

"The ball touched the players hand before touching the ground......."

"The movement of the ball after hitting the ground was a controlled motion......."

"The ball was within a one yard vicinity of the player and therefore in the player's personal space which implies control..."
W T F

So, first they take into account several seconds of activity after a player is out of bounds and the play should be over.

Now, they're allowing the ball to hit the ground - meaning it cannot be a catch - "The ball can hit the ground without the receiver having control of it and it will still be a catch."

Well, finally Butch Johnson can claim his "catch" in the Super Bowl was real.

Under these new insane rules.
butch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case