PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Football is back Hall of Fame Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only good thing about the 7 months without football is not hearing Chris Collinsworth. Listening to him is ear rape!

If you put the volume at just the right level, for me here that's about a 6, you can hear the crowd and any calls the ref makes but not the announcers. Try it.

Uneven Hall of Fame Game for revised helmet rule shows enforcement might be challenge

“I think what they’ve been told to do is just throw (flags),” McAulay said at the end of the broadcast. “Just throw. That way they’ll have a library of plays before (the regular-season opener in) Philadelphia, so they’ll have a better idea of what is a penalty.”

Hahahaha. Again, you can't legislate violence out of an inherently violent game. Shoulder pad contact with a helmet is many times more violent and more damaging than any helmet to helmet hit. I say that as someone that played TE and probably played the game more recently than a lot of people here. This will be, and already is, an unevenly called disaster that will do nothing more than further damage the product on the field. Meanwhile, you're not going to have concussions or even subconcussive blows that take players out of the game go down. Oh, and we'll probably more than likely see more torn ACLs, broken legs, and Achilles injuries. Should be a lot of fun. But hey, at least the NFL appeased the betas (who can simply choose to just not watch the game) and did something to try to protect themselves from future liability.

AFAIK, BB has always insisted that Pats players make textbook head-up, wrap-up tackles instead of going for the big hit that often misses (ahem, Mr. Meriweather). So, this should be less of an issue for the Pats defense than for other, less-disciplined teams.

So, yeah, possibly fewer calls against the Pats and more ammo for Pats-haters.

AFAIK, BB has always insisted that Pats players make textbook head-up, wrap-up tackles instead of going for the big hit that often misses (ahem, Mr. Meriweather). So, this should be less of an issue for the Pats defense than for other, less-disciplined teams.

235CB5BC-43F4-4D99-B287-9FE2B8CE5997.jpeg

So, yeah, possibly fewer calls against the Pats and more ammo for Pats-haters.

Since they seem content to throw flags whenever a defensive player even so much as lowers his helmet (even with no clear evidence of helmet to helmet contact), I kind of doubt that. At least for now. They should be calling these against the offense, too. OL lead with their helmet on almost every running play and RBs often lower their helmet just before collision. Somehow, I don't think that will be the case either since this policy change was enacted by a league that clearly wants more offense.

. “I think what they’ve been told to do is just throw (flags),” McAulay said at the end of the broadcast. “Just throw. That way they’ll have a library of plays before (the regular-season opener in) Philadelphia, so they’ll have a better idea of what is a penalty.”

I would think the nfl already has an extensive “library of plays” available to guide these decisions in the first place. Such a dumb league, getting dumber.

I would think the nfl already has an extensive “library of plays” available to guide these decisions in the first place. Such a dumb league, getting dumber.

The NFL just knows what the people really want... middle aged men dressed like zebras throwing a yellow handkerchief in the air every other snap.

Scoring should be up w all this nonsense going on. Take the over.

League is already a joke. We won't recognize the game in a few years.

Scoring should be up w all this nonsense going on. Take the over.

League is already a joke. We won't recognize the game in a few years.
The owners don’t care. From a business strategy standpoint, they’re clearly looking to maximize short term profits with eye to probably bailing out and selling off their teams in the long term. This is merely a step to protect them from future liability in a class action lawsuit. They couldn’t care less that they’re ruining the game. Follow the money.

He hit the receiver with his helmet on the receiver's arm. 15 yards for causing a bruise.

OHMAHGAWWWWWWD, they're HURTING each other! We need to SOMETHING to stahp this! So much violence UGH. Bambi... I'm going to Starbucks to get a Frappuccino... extra frothy. Would you like anything my dear?

OHMAHGAWWWWWWD, they're HURTING each other! We need to SOMETHING to stahp this! So much violence UGH. Bambi... I'm going to Starbucks to get a Frappuccino... extra frothy. Would you like anything my dear?
Something with decaf, no double decaf, I'm frightfully worked up.

as a sign of how little i care about non-patriots football:

I didn't even know there was a game coming up.

Welp, football was fun while it lasted. This is going to be a sh*t-show.

Just another tool for the league to control the games, we're fked.

as a sign of how little i care about non-patriots football:

I didn't even know there was a game coming up.

I went out last night for pizza and drinks and I remembered it when I saw a few Bears fans at the restaurant bar. Before then I had absolutely no clue that there was a game on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News