PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fields looked really good in preseason debut

I see Trevor Lawrence having a steep climb. Everyone expects him to be the next HOF QB while delivering Lombardi trophies.

I belive that he will be another "if only Trevor had..... fill in the blanks" we would win.
It could go either way : but I tend to agree…. Even the “can’t miss” are susceptible. And if you add the horrendous HC to the mix…

And yet, Mac Jones wont struggle at all because he is a Patriot.

He won at Alabama you know.

A good Offensive Line is like the most important thing for a rookie QB.

I watched the highlights of Fields attempts. Sure, he has a natural strong arm, and he can escape and run. But, he is a gunslinger, and threw a lot of dangerous balls. Not only that could be picks, but he's going to get his receivers killed. He also takes hits and runs around like he won't last a season. I wouldn't be rushing him to start this year.

To be fair, this is normal for a rookie who has a strong arm that has provided success in college. He needs to go through this learning process. The question of course, is, how does he come out the other end? But the fact that he's experiencing it now is actually good news for the Bears.

The great thing about our guy is that he won't have nearly as long a learning process like this, because his success came more through decision making and accuracy than arm strength. The things that made him successful in the past are what he needs to learn now.

I know there were many of us that wanted the Pats to trade up and get Fields at #11, myself included. He looked pretty good in his first game - led two TD drives. He started off slow with a ball that should have picked and a fumble running but man can he throw the heck out of the ball. He really reminds me of Watson. Hopefully he takes less sacks and gets all his massages at the Bears facility. LOL

nobody cares about Justin Fields.

He took a shot in the head his street fighter's life bar is already at 85%

Yes, but what would they do with the money instead? There are no good free agents left. They may as well pay for a year of good quarterbacking.
Last I knew you can roll over money left over on your salary cap. Additionally there are going to be some good players released at cutdown and that space can give them leverage with those players. However if I’m wrong then it might make more sense to keep both.

nobody cares about Justin Fields.
It’s the preseason, there’s no harm in discussing other teams and players right now. Once the season hits those topics make more sense in a comprehensive OT thread.

Wilson was my favorite QB in this draft and he has a special arm.
The Jets could have something, however he could also be another Mitch Trubisky.
The big arm and deep passed are sexy.
However the way Jones seems to be not only picking up one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL he’s earning Josh and Bills trust and respect rapidly.
Wilson is going to be special. He is one of the few QB prospects I never had doubts about. Special arm, great accuracy. I’d be SHOCKED if he busts.

Same goes for Jones, I saw enough of him in college and saw enough Jones interviews to realize he would be a perfect pick in the 1st round for the Pats. Similar offenses, similar coaches, plus Jones has excellent QB traits, smart, QUICK release, has zero fear, and has a winner’s mentality. I literally screamed YES when the Pats did the right thing and drafted Jones.

And there it is, the Great American Fantasy finally stated honestly. Falls in line with so many other uses of the word "super" to put something out of reach of normal human experience.

The prior year SB winner is widely viewed as a big favorite again every year, and literally half the time, they don't even make the playoffs.

The fact that the Bucs won the SB last year is a disadvantage this year. And they did it with very good health; odds are, they'll have far more starters out this year, so second line depth will be an adjustment they'll need to make.

We'll see.
I called the Bucs a “superteam” before last season even began. They got Tom, drafted great players at all weaknesses, filled in the roster with great free agents… they were the best team on paper entering last season.

They have no weakness. That being said injury can lay anyone low, rosters are only 53 players and depth is skin deep. Assuming health they’re a super team, an all star team for the second season in a row.

I think BB will have a good game plan to slow down Brady and the offense. Brady will be motivated to hang 60 on us but I wouldn’t count on that happening. The problem for the Pats in this game is not just the question marks with the passing game but also the Bucs defense happen to be elite at stopping the run which is at the moment the one thing the offense should be really good at doing,
The Bucs have been together for a full season and three games entering this game. The Pats will have a mostly new roster with 20 year old contributors all over the place, and on a team that traditionally starts slow the first four games of the season.

Also Cam will presumably be the starter and if it’s not it will be a rookie, both playing one of the best D’s in the league. If this Patriot team gels into a winner it will likely happen over the course of the season with speed bumps early on.

I pegged this game early on as the catalyst for moving on from Cam to Mac, the following week they play the Texans. That would be a great cremepuff to start Mac against. The first four defenses they face will be a gauntlet, better to let the vet bridge QB fall on the sword to start the season.

Almost like landing spot matters a ton for players. Would you want to play in NE or Jax? Jets or 49ers?

Almost like landing spot matters a ton for players. Would you want to play in NE or Jax? Jets or 49ers?
Truly great players transcend their environment and turn a loser into a winner.

Truly great players transcend their environment and turn a loser into a winner.
This is kind of casual thinking with respect. Something someone says bc they think it sounds smart. It's not though.

Was Brady a transcendent player his first few years. He landed in the perfect spot with a team that was ready to roll and got matched up with perfect coach in Bill.

Does anyone really think Mahomes would be on a legit HOF pace with the NYJ/G? Awful coach, no OL, no targets? Of course not. Mahomes literally landed in the perfect spot in KC. That team was loaded. Reid got them up the mountain, Mahomes dragged them over the top.

Andrew Luck was an unbelievable prospect, top 5-10 QB that got done in by a poor organization.

Also why do you think prospects prefer to play for certain teams (Manning, Elway and a lot of other prospects that aren't so vocal don't want to go to a clown show) They want to go to teams with a better history, more stability.

Would you rather play for Bill or Urban? Gase or Reid? This isn't hard.

Wilson is going to be special. He is one of the few QB prospects I never had doubts about. Special arm, great accuracy. I’d be SHOCKED if he busts.

Same goes for Jones, I saw enough of him in college and saw enough Jones interviews to realize he would be a perfect pick in the 1st round for the Pats. Similar offenses, similar coaches, plus Jones has excellent QB traits, smart, QUICK release, has zero fear, and has a winner’s mentality. I literally screamed YES when the Pats did the right thing and drafted Jones.
I did too (scream "Yes!" in delight). I watched Mac closely all of last year, and I also think he is the perfect choice for the Pats. My reasons are similar to yours. He has had similar coaches in Saban, and is completely comfortable with very hard coaching (and even welcomes it), even before Saban (his high school coach was the high school version of Saban). Very, very smart and studious. Great feet and feel in the pocket. Definitely plays best in the biggest games. Good release. Throws a very catchable ball and great accuracy, especially with the long ball. Great leader in the huddle. He is always laughing and joking with teammates, which masks the fact that he is absolutely hyper-competitive (he famously butted heads with Saban as Scout Team QB by throwing the ball in the stands when he was supposed to purposely throw interceptions for DB practice, and by bootlegging touchdowns when the play was a standard practice running play). :rofl:

However, IMHO Mac wouldn't fit in everywhere. His strength is somewhat his weakness, he is simply not very improvisational, everything he does is planned out to a "t" to exactly follow the game plan and minimize mistakes or interceptions, that is why his style (not his competence or talent of course) is so much like Brady's style (which Brady, with his tremendous gifts, used to become the GOAT). That is why I think he fits the Pats so well, they are used to a "follow the game plan", mistake-free QB instead of the type of improvisational QB which seems to be the current rage in the NFL who makes something out of nothing with their legs (think: Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Allen, Wilson, Mayfield, and now rookies like Justin Fields). These improvisational QBs can make something out of nothing but often at the risk of turnovers.

Even though I think Mac is perfect for the Pats, his style is why I think he shouldn't be rushed. QBs like Josh Allen and Kyler Murray clearly didn't know what they were doing as rookies but they could bail a play out with their legs. Mac won't be able to do that, IMHO he will need to completely understand the offense in order to be a productive QB, hopefully he will able to do that fairly early in his rookie season.

This is kind of casual thinking with respect. Something someone says bc they think it sounds smart. It's not though.

Was Brady a transcendent player his first few years. He landed in the perfect spot with a team that was ready to roll and got matched up with perfect coach in Bill.

Does anyone really think Mahomes would be on a legit HOF pace with the NYJ/G? Awful coach, no OL, no targets? Of course not. Mahomes literally landed in the perfect spot in KC. That team was loaded. Reid got them up the mountain, Mahomes dragged them over the top.

Andrew Luck was an unbelievable prospect, top 5-10 QB that got done in by a poor organization.

Also why do you think prospects prefer to play for certain teams (Manning, Elway and a lot of other prospects that aren't so vocal don't want to go to a clown show) They want to go to teams with a better history, more stability.

You need to re-think and revise your position here. It's obviously incorrect as stated.

My one sentence was smarter than what you laid out here.

Taller Russell Wilson is a good ceiling comp.
On the plus side he is a strong thrower and accurate, and very fast when he runs.
On the flip side he threw what was basically an interception that was dropped, and fumbled on a run where in a real game he would have been physically mauled. He holds the ball too long for my taste. He'll be better than Zach Wilson.

Still glad the Pats have Mac, my personal preference is quick throws and a QB who is super fast in getting the ball out and that's Mac.

He didn't look that good

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back