PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fields looked really good in preseason debut

This isn’t really true in football.
It's fair to say that not all truly great players do it, for various reasons. It's not fair to say that none do it.

It's fair to say that not all truly great players do it, for various reasons. It's not fair to say that none do it.
An amazing player can be what puts a team over the top, But football isn’t like most of the other sports. A great pitcher could play on any team and win a game. A great goalie can take a marginal team and make them winners. Basketball is just 5 guys, a great player can take them anywhere. But in football even the best qb has to rely on his line and his receivers and his running backs, plus the defense and special teams which he has no part of.

My one sentence was smarter than what you laid out here.
Not really. You said something kind of casual, especially concerning football and didn't refute anything I said.

Here's what you wrote ...
Truly great players transcend their environment and turn a loser into a winner.
How many players, by themselves are turning the Lions into a winner after a half century of disaster? We going to pretend they've never had great players?

Let's look at the QB position since that spot is more important than anyone else and surely the subject will go there.

How many QB's or players, by themselves have turned losers into winners?
How many great players, by themselves have turned a loser into a winner in football?

Not trying to argue @amfootball @Deus Irae

I just think it's casual to say a player can just land on any team and turn a "loser into a winner"

Like other have pointed out. Detroit didn't have a Barry Sander or Calvin Johnson problem. Those two had a Detroit Lions problem. You can't name 5-10 better players at their respected positions but neither were turning around that disaster if you put them on the same team.

Turning around a franchise like the Lions, Jete, Browns etc take years. Not a magic pill on draft night or FA.

Last edited:
An amazing player can be what puts a team over the top, But football isn’t like most of the other sports. A great pitcher could play on any team and win a game. A great goalie can take a marginal team and make them winners. Basketball is just 5 guys, a great player can take them anywhere. But in football even the best qb has to rely on his line and his receivers and his running backs, plus the defense and special teams which he has no part of.
Now you're just playing word games, and badly. Brady is always going to be there to prove your position wrong, so I'm not going to waste time pointing out the many others. When you try to use the "other players are different, too" argument, you essentially take yourself out of the argument completely. After all, all it takes is one scrub at the bottom of the roster changing...

But reasonable people understand the point of talking about one player/coach/etc... turning around a team in team sports.

I did too (scream "Yes!" in delight). I watched Mac closely all of last year, and I also think he is the perfect choice for the Pats. My reasons are similar to yours. He has had similar coaches in Saban, and is completely comfortable with very hard coaching (and even welcomes it), even before Saban (his high school coach was the high school version of Saban). Very, very smart and studious. Great feet and feel in the pocket. Definitely plays best in the biggest games. Good release. Throws a very catchable ball and great accuracy, especially with the long ball. Great leader in the huddle. He is always laughing and joking with teammates, which masks the fact that he is absolutely hyper-competitive (he famously butted heads with Saban as Scout Team QB by throwing the ball in the stands when he was supposed to purposely throw interceptions for DB practice, and by bootlegging touchdowns when the play was a standard practice running play). :rofl:

However, IMHO Mac wouldn't fit in everywhere. His strength is somewhat his weakness, he is simply not very improvisational, everything he does is planned out to a "t" to exactly follow the game plan and minimize mistakes or interceptions, that is why his style (not his competence or talent of course) is so much like Brady's style (which Brady, with his tremendous gifts, used to become the GOAT). That is why I think he fits the Pats so well, they are used to a "follow the game plan", mistake-free QB instead of the type of improvisational QB which seems to be the current rage in the NFL who makes something out of nothing with their legs (think: Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Allen, Wilson, Mayfield, and now rookies like Justin Fields). These improvisational QBs can make something out of nothing but often at the risk of turnovers.

Even though I think Mac is perfect for the Pats, his style is why I think he shouldn't be rushed. QBs like Josh Allen and Kyler Murray clearly didn't know what they were doing as rookies but they could bail a play out with their legs. Mac won't be able to do that, IMHO he will need to completely understand the offense in order to be a productive QB, hopefully he will able to do that fairly early in his rookie season.
Great post, agree 100%, and you said it way more eloquently and in detail than I did. One thing I think Jones has over Allen and Murray as a rookie, is I think he is more NFL ready than they were coming in as rookies. That includes the thought process of the quarterback position. He processes info faster than most rookie QBs, I read he had the 2nd fastest release of all QBs in the preseason, at 2.67 seconds (not sure who #1 is). I’m talking second fastest release of ALL QBs, not rookies.

I did too (scream "Yes!" in delight). I watched Mac closely all of last year, and I also think he is the perfect choice for the Pats. My reasons are similar to yours. He has had similar coaches in Saban, and is completely comfortable with very hard coaching (and even welcomes it), even before Saban (his high school coach was the high school version of Saban). Very, very smart and studious. Great feet and feel in the pocket. Definitely plays best in the biggest games. Good release. Throws a very catchable ball and great accuracy, especially with the long ball. Great leader in the huddle. He is always laughing and joking with teammates, which masks the fact that he is absolutely hyper-competitive (he famously butted heads with Saban as Scout Team QB by throwing the ball in the stands when he was supposed to purposely throw interceptions for DB practice, and by bootlegging touchdowns when the play was a standard practice running play). :rofl:

However, IMHO Mac wouldn't fit in everywhere. His strength is somewhat his weakness, he is simply not very improvisational, everything he does is planned out to a "t" to exactly follow the game plan and minimize mistakes or interceptions, that is why his style (not his competence or talent of course) is so much like Brady's style (which Brady, with his tremendous gifts, used to become the GOAT). That is why I think he fits the Pats so well, they are used to a "follow the game plan", mistake-free QB instead of the type of improvisational QB which seems to be the current rage in the NFL who makes something out of nothing with their legs (think: Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Allen, Wilson, Mayfield, and now rookies like Justin Fields). These improvisational QBs can make something out of nothing but often at the risk of turnovers.

Even though I think Mac is perfect for the Pats, his style is why I think he shouldn't be rushed. QBs like Josh Allen and Kyler Murray clearly didn't know what they were doing as rookies but they could bail a play out with their legs. Mac won't be able to do that, IMHO he will need to completely understand the offense in order to be a productive QB, hopefully he will able to do that fairly early in his rookie season.
If you think Mac doesn't improvise then you haven't been watching the pre season. The guy had had several plays where he improved his way out of a sack. Hes def more mobile than TB12.

Mac just understands the defense, the weak spots and where his receivers will get open. He doesn't need to improvise, he can play within the constraints of the play and win

NBA? Absolutely.

NFL? The ONLY example you need is the two OTs being out for KC in the Super Bowl to demonstrate HOW MUCH all the parts are reliant upon the others to be successful.

It is even more truthful for NFL rookies given the massive leap in talent across the board that they must compete against versus the huge holes across NCAA rosters that can be exploited simply by athletic ability - sure, they might elevate their sub-package - the DL, LBs, OL, skill positions and OL if the QB, etc, but if their GM cant draft or sign talent over the long term...they will leave that organization (seems there's examples of that to point to).

Without a team, there is no one single NFL draft pick regardless of position that can put a shine on a sneaker of a crap team or organization.

Additionally, it's the only sport where the offense and defense are not operating concurrently, meaning you can have the greatest QB ever, but if your organization cant get a decent defense on the field, no matter how well the QB "elevates them" by putting up points...it aint going to matter if the other team marches right down the other way...or maybe the owner/GM is a drug addict like one we know from the Midwest.

Was Barry Sanders a great player? The Lions still sucked. How about Steve Young? The Bucs were the worst team in the NFL while he was there. Did Brady "turn around" the Patriots? They already had a so-called "great" player in Bedsore. Seems the combination of great player/great coach turned the Pats fortunes around. One can point out examples on both sides of this argument...in the end, what's the point?

NBA? Absolutely.

NFL? The ONLY example you need is the two OTs being out for KC in the Super Bowl to demonstrate HOW MUCH all the parts are reliant upon the others to be successful.

It is even more truthful for NFL rookies given the massive leap in talent across the board that they must compete against versus the huge holes across NCAA rosters that can be exploited simply by athletic ability - sure, they might elevate their sub-package - the DL, LBs, OL, skill positions and OL if the QB, etc, but if their GM cant draft or sign talent over the long term...they will leave that organization (seems there's examples of that to point to).

Without a team, there is no one single NFL draft pick regardless of position that can put a shine on a sneaker of a crap team or organization.

Additionally, it's the only sport where the offense and defense are not operating concurrently, meaning you can have the greatest QB ever, but if your organization cant get a decent defense on the field, no matter how well the QB "elevates them" by putting up points...it aint going to matter if the other team marches right down the other way...or maybe the owner/GM is a drug addict like one we know from the Midwest.
You can't win without a team in any of the major team sports. That's why they're called team sports. That's also why people who try the "But you need other players..." are being completely dishonest in these discussions. Jordan never won the title without Pippen, after all.

NBA? Absolutely.

There are far more truly great players in NBA history that didn't "turn around" their franchise. We see a few who did, and start to think it should be normal. It isn't. Life is stunningly complicated and unpredictable, including in sports (all of them).

Now you're just playing word games, and badly. Brady is always going to be there to prove your position wrong, so I'm not going to waste time pointing out the many others. When you try to use the "other players are different, too" argument, you essentially take yourself out of the argument completely. After all, all it takes is one scrub at the bottom of the roster changing...

But reasonable people understand the point of talking about one player/coach/etc... turning around a team in team sports.
Brady didn’t win two years ago. This is a really stupid argument

Not in relation to win/losses. Does anyone think Corey Dillon, AJ Green or Joe Mixon’s problem wasn’t playing in Cincinnati?

Brady didn’t win two years ago. This is a really stupid argument
Brady played on one of the best most talented teams for the last twenty years, he went to a handpicked all star team and brought all his talented friends in 2020… agreed, it’s a stupid argument.

Last edited:
Truly great players transcend their environment and turn a loser into a winner.
Truth bomb.

Gretsky/Oilers
Jordan/Bulls
Brady/Pats
Mahomes/Chiefs

Occasionally, a bunch of good players win over the greats. Like the KC Royals several years ago.

Truth bomb.

Gretsky/Oilers
Jordan/Bulls
Brady/Pats
Mahomes/Chiefs

Occasionally, a bunch of good players win over the greats. Like the KC Royals several years ago.
Gretzky. Though not an Oiler’s fan, I was amazed by Gretzky, and a big fan of his. Not only transcended the team, he changed the sport of hockey. Granted, by the time he won the Cup, he probably had the most talented group of teammates ever (maybe the 1970s Canadiens). So many Hall of Famers on his team. But, until Brady, I felt Gretzky was the greatest player in team sports history. There’s a reason why there’s a 99 in my name.

Truth bomb.

Gretsky/Oilers
Jordan/Bulls
Brady/Pats
Mahomes/Chiefs

On Mahomes/Chiefs, I think people forget that the Chiefs traded up for that pick, because the previous two years they were 11-5 and 12-4. Then they went 10-6 with Smith again before Mahomes took over. Obviously he got them over the hump, but he didn't take a bad team and make them good. He took a good team (with a good coach) and made them great.

Also I love Gretzky, but the Oilers won a cup without him two years after he was traded because Mark Messier (I'm biased because he's my favorite player of all time) was the straw that stirred that drink. Dude even won a cup in New York which is almost impossible (Rangers are historically mismanaged... they're the Jets of the NHL).

How many years in a row did the Pats go with Brady as QB and not win SBs?

On Mahomes/Chiefs, I think people forget that the Chiefs traded up for that pick, because the previous two years they were 11-5 and 12-4. Then they went 10-6 with Smith again before Mahomes took over. Obviously he got them over the hump, but he didn't take a bad team and make them good. He took a good team (with a good coach) and made them great.

Also I love Gretzky, but the Oilers won a cup without him two years after he was traded because Mark Messier (I'm biased because he's my favorite player of all time) was the straw that stirred that drink. Dude even won a cup in New York which is almost impossible (Rangers are historically mismanaged... they're the Jets of the NHL).
The Chiefs had always been regular season champs. They had not won a Super Bowl in almost 50 years. They had 1 post season win in 25 years. That is not great to me. The Bengals won lots of regular season games too.

Mahomes has taken KC to 3 consecutive AFC Championships and 2 Super Bowls in 3 years. That is great.

The Truth about which QB's succeed is - - - COACHING.
That's why all the hot-air talking-heads spew about Brady VS. BB is garbage.
With Brady's skillset, if he would've been inserted into any other situation, he would've been unprotected and outmatched.
He would have been out of the league or holding a clipboard by year 4.
Coaches determine how to protect and best use young QB's, until they truly develop into comprehensive leaders and players (year 4-8).
Which necessitates good OL's and very good D's.
When you don't have that, they become the David Carr's of the league.
So, whether Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields have a chance to flourish beyond a 3 year test is all about the complete team-building and coaching. That is what BB is a master of.
That is why it is a tragedy that idiots on TV are saying last year was proof that the Patriot Way was all Tom Brady.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back