PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins Owner Steven Ross Suspended, Picks Forfeited, For Tampering With Brady, Payton

Should be a little better now. Sorry guys, I'm on vacation in the woods with a pretty poor cell signal.
Kinda disappointed you planned your vacation around this breaking news.

We'll let it slide this time.

LOL. Finally another team besides the Patriots getting punished for cheating! I mean we know teams do this kind of thing all the time, but for our division rivals to get docked draft picks, well that just makes my day! :haha:

I think this sums it up neatly:
google-hates-dolphins_o_147466.jpg

Quick question: if Brady’s alleged egotism and unprofessional behavior in allegedly not trying too hard in 2019 (despite being one defensive stop away in week 17 from being 13-3 with a bye) is a stain on his legacy then how badly is Belichick’s legacy completely defaced by him essentially throwing a Super Bowl by benching Malcolm Butler for purely off the field personal emotional reasons that may or may not have been all about protecting his son’s reputation?

Quick question: if Brady’s alleged egotism and unprofessional behavior in allegedly not trying too hard in 2019 (despite being one defensive stop away in week 17 from being 13-3 with a bye) is a stain on his legacy then how badly is Belichick’s legacy completely defaced by him essentially throwing a Super Bowl by benching Malcolm Butler for purely off the field personal emotional reasons that may or may not have been all about protecting his son’s reputation?
I don’t believe for a second Brady didn’t try hard in 2019, by the end of the season he was dealing with three separate injuries.

I also don’t believe for a second Malcolm Butler, who was easily one of the worst starting CB’s statistically in 2017, would have made one iota of difference. They lost that game because 350 pound Alan Branch, their best defender In Hightower, Jon Jones and Patrick Chung got injured. The Eagles almost rushed for 200 yards on us, the game was over before it started and only Tom and the offense playing out of their minds kept it close.

Don’t believe the soap opera nonsense, look at the facts and data.

I was gonna say that this may be the point where the forum has jumped the shark. But it looks more like it tried and fell into the sharks mouth

I was gonna say that this may be the point where the forum has jumped the shark. But it looks more like it tried and fell into the sharks mouth

It’s been endemic in Boston sports fandom forever. If a player leaves town they’re immediately thrown under the bus and worse, if they continue to see success, they’re outright vilified. Ray Borque is basically the one exception because the Bruins were such an indefensible embarrassment.

Has nothing to do with this thread.

I would remind people that this thread is about the Dolphins tanking and tampering with Tom Brady and Sean Payton while they were under contract. Going way off the rails and continuing to beat the long, long, LONG dead horse of "Brady vs. Bill", "Brady didn't need Bill", "Bill sucks at drafting", and all the other usual nonsense really serves no purpose here. Let's discuss the actual story here.

It’s been endemic in Boston sports fandom forever. If a player leaves town they’re immediately thrown under the bus and worse, if they continue to see success, they’re outright vilified. Ray Borque is basically the one exception because the Bruins were such an indefensible embarrassment.
Agree . I can’t think of anyone who was not happy for Ray. However :

1 Ray was a perfect soldier here more of a boy scout than even Brady.

2 this was 22 years ago much of the fan base hadn’t seen a bruins championship so there was no entitlement . It was something really positive that everyone could rally around finally

3. At that point it had been 14 years since Bostons last championship. So again the entitlement issues you see now were non existent .

4 Back then there were no message board forums so you really didn’t get the whole - I can be tough or an ******* behind a computer or just **** stir so there was no vehicle for people to play the contrarian role.

5. Back then the millennials were age 3 to 18 or so. So none of them even really experienced a championship There was no generation Z yet with their participation trophies and their we should win it all every year and I want it now etc

At least that’s my take on it. Lol

Agree . I can’t think of anyone who was not happy for Ray. However :

1 Ray was a perfect soldier here more of a boy scout than even Brady.

2 this was 22 years ago much of the fan base hadn’t seen a bruins championship so there was no entitlement . It was something really positive that everyone could rally around finally

3. At that point it had been 14 years since Bostons last championship. So again the entitlement issues you see now were non existent .

4 Back then there were no message board forums so you really didn’t get the whole - I can be tough or an ******* behind a computer or just **** stir so there was no vehicle for people to play the contrarian role.

5. Back then the millennials were age 3 to 18 or so. So none of them even really experienced a championship There was no generation Z yet with their participation trophies and their we should win it all every year and I want it now etc

At least that’s my take on it. Lol
I met Ray at SB 36 ... walking down bourbon st, the day of the game...

I've was using newgroups in 1995 and I joined a forum back in 1997, well before Bourque left the Bruins. There were plenty of "anonymous keyboard warriors" before 1999. In fact, trolling was such a new concept, we often failed to recognize them. :)

I've was using newgroups in 1995 and I joined a forum back in 1997, well before Bourque left the Bruins. There were plenty of "anonymous keyboard warriors" before 1999. In fact, trolling was such a new concept, we often failed to recognize them. :)
Ya forums were around but trolls have really honed their craft over the last 22 years and I would say it’s changed a lot since I started posting here

Brady and the Pats splitting up was the best thing for both parties.

It allowed the Patriots to reset their cap and rebuild.

It allowed Brady the chance to play on a superteam and contend for rings.

The Pats don’t play in 4 Super Bowls and win 3 of them without squeezing every last cap dollar out of it and Brady sacrificing some money.

The contentious bull is exactly that, I don’t buy any of it. No matter how messy the ending was, it was the best one could hope for. I don’t really care about back door negotiations, they happen all the time through back channels. Anyone who doesn’t believe that is just being naïve.

Ya forums were around but trolls have really honed their craft over the last 22 years and I would say it’s changed a lot since I started posting here
Well there's no Bob Jensen around to tell us how superior Chad Pennington is to Tom Brady...... but I am sure out there somewhere he still believes it....

The defense did only give up 14 to the Titans lol. And they only gave up 20 to the Dolphins when you take away the pick six.
The defense gave up a game-winning TD drive to a goofball quarterback with a first round bye in the balance. Belichick ignored timeouts at his disposal at the end of both halves. Brady did his job, he had the team up by 4 late in the fourth quarter.

We would have won nothing if we kept him and we are miles ahead right now of where we would have been.
The Patriots are miles behind the Bills right now. That wouldn't be the case had Brady been retained. You forget Brady owns Buffalo for his career... 33-3. Belichick without Brady does not... 4-6.

He's playing at a MVP level because Tampa sucked for the whole of the 2010s and had the draft capital to build a strong defense, a good OL and excellent WRs.
You forgot to mention a donkey for a head coach. Shows the importance of that position when you have the all-time greatest player in the history of the league. Tampa Bay was so "championship ready" when Brady got there that they were 7-9 the season prior which made 8 of 9 losing seasons. They won 3 straight road playoff games and Brady outplayed 3 straight HOF quarterbacks to closeout the season... how many quarterbacks in the NFL today can do that?

They decided it was the wrong time to invest long term in an aging quarterback.
By "they" you mean Bill. He was working closest of all with Brady and he either 1) grossly miscalculated or 2) was overcome with his desire to prove he could win with another quarterback or 3) both.

It seems likely the Krafts wanted to retain Brady (with a better contract offer) but deferred to Belichick given they thought siding with Belichick over Brady would give them the greater opportunity for success. Three years later Brady has another ring, is a runner-up NFL MVP, and is primed for another Super Bowl run. Meanwhile the Patriots are decidedly looking up at Buffalo for the first time in forever... 18 seasons of Brady, the Patriots finished ahead of Buffalo 18 times. 2 seasons without him they're behind Buffalo 2 times.

Brady is nothing but a ring chaser (all the FAs he's bringing to Tampa is more proof of this).
LOL... you hate Brady so much that you've convinced yourself that chasing rings is a bad thing. He wants to be surrounded by the best team possible... what a novel idea. I'm in awe of your stupidity.

1) Brookline McMansion was placed on the market prior to start of 2019 season
2) "Need to spend more time with the family" Tommy was negotiating with Miami and who knows who else in 2019 while still a captain in NE.
3) Super G was touring private schools throughout the land
4) Brady's displays of misery were prominent throughout the 2019 season
5) "Team first Tom" pivoted into "Point fingers Tom"
6) And let's not purposely ignore....
BRADY successfully negotiated with New England to remove the franchise tag handcuffs he was controlled by
I don't agree with some of your characterizations but all of that happened AFTER they didn't offer Brady a respectable contract. So right, Brady knew 2019 would be his last in New England before the season started... we all knew that. He gave the team every thing he had as always. The interactions with Miami ("negotiating" seems a bit strong) obviously didn't mean much to Brady considering he signed with another team. It seems highly unlikely (even implausible) that Brady's conversations with Miami had any impact whatsoever on Brady's conduct or commitment to that season or on the results of that season.

I often wonder that if BB had drafted Drew Henson -- widely known at the time to be the superior athletic prospect -- and when Bill developed Drew into the GOAT, whether folks would be arguing now that it was Drew who made Bill, even though we know for a fact that Drew was nothing without Bill.

In that scenario, Brady would probably ended up as a journeyman major league catcher, batting .212 lifetime. I doubt he could have married Bridget, let alone divorced her for Giselle. He might still have been successful selling herbal remedies, hair plugs and cryptocurrency though.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back