PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-Colts fire Polian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was an interesting bit, in an ESPN article:

(Irsay would) like to see the team’s media relations improve. Bill Polian was notoriously difficult, particularly with the Indianapolis press. Secrecy is important on many football matters, but can be overused, Irsay said. You have to be really good at media relations in a small market, he added.

All those years in Nashville, a relatively small NFL market, would seem to suit Fisher in this case. Also, lots of reports out there that Fisher wants a team with an established QB, so it'll be interesting to see how his story and Manning's play out. Reading the arguments here, I'm feeling like Manning will stay if he can play, and the Colts will trade that top pick and rebuild that way.

With Polian gone and input on the GM that could be just the dream scenario Jeffie has been waiting for. He'd even likely get his seat back on the anti competition committee. He's been the Colts wet dream replacement for Caldwell all along but was never going to go there with either Polian still at the helm. He was kind of screwed in Tennessee because of the ownership and infighting but then again if you listen to Floyd's wife he's something of a backstabber.

Has to be a better gig than either Miami or St. Louis...

He never really had to give it up
The NFL has yet to announce Fisher’s replacement as co-chairman. Greg Aiello, senior vice president of public relations for the NFL, said Fisher may serve as a consultant for “some period of time.”
Fisher to serve as Competition Committee consultant | Titans Insider

The NFL has yet to announce Fisher’s replacement as co-chairman. Greg Aiello, senior vice president of public relations for the NFL, said Fisher may serve as a consultant for “some period of time.”

Reading this gets me Wicked Pissed!

I hate seeing the Krafts let their team be patsies for each new rule wrinkle many of which are designed to derail the Patriots juggernaut.

Last edited:
I thought this was an interesting bit, in an ESPN article:

All those years in Nashville, a relatively small NFL market, would seem to suit Fisher in this case. Also, lots of reports out there that Fisher wants a team with an established QB, so it'll be interesting to see how his story and Manning's play out. Reading the arguments here, I'm feeling like Manning will stay if he can play, and the Colts will trade that top pick and rebuild that way.

Mediots here think BB is a tough cookie. Polian made him look like a prince. Partly because he was a total bull****ter who tried to spin any information he chose to divulge to make himself and the orgnization look above reproach. And he was thin skinned and volitile and openly vindictive. He referred to some of the local media as rats earlier this season. He increasingly had a tendancy to offhandedly toss players or units or parts of the organization under the bus to cover his own ass or deflect any criticism of his or the teams performance. He was a divisive presence, and too much of a presence given he was no longer the GM and he had set his kid up in that job and the kid had alienated most of the old guard on the staff (and there is yet another son in the personnel dept as well for the moment). He routinely crossed the line in commenting on coaching matters further marginalizing his own puppet HC. Irsay saw that all and heard the scuttlebutt and I think it just unnerved him to the point he decided there would be no better time to cut ties than when you're set up for a significant overhaul if not a total rebuild.

I know, he doesn't have his seat at the moment though, it's vacant and they let him hang around as a consultant pending his finding another gig... It being in Indy where Polian's seat will likely become vacant (although he will also likely assume some half assed consultancy) would guarantee he gets it back. A job elsewhere wouldn't necessarily guarantee that. The politics of football...

I know, he doesn't have his seat at the moment though, it's vacant and they let him hang around as a consultant pending his finding another gig... It being in Indy where Polian's seat will likely become vacant (although he will also likely assume some half assed consultancy) would guarantee he gets it back. A job elsewhere wouldn't necessarily guarantee that. The politics of football...

.. or why Lurie wouldn't lobby to have Andy Reid, the longest tenured coach take that slot.

Ding Dong the witch is dead....the Wicked witch is dead!!!!!........

.. or why Lurie wouldn't lobby to have Andy Reid, the longest tenured coach take that slot.

Reid's been a little busy between the hot seat and his personal issues over the last 4-5 seasons... And he's on the coaches sub committee which is all the other cool guys. Bill doesn't have any use for the political BS. Influence is power, but then too so are rings. Spags just lost his seat on the sub committee. I imagine the other Harbaugh will be a candidate to replace him. Turnarounds get their attention, consistent excellence isn't a requirement to land or retain a seat on either. Marv Lewis got his seat after he supposedly turned the Bengals around back in 2005... Rick Smith got his because the Texans had to make something out of all that talent sooner or as it turned out later.

Dolphins making changes for an owner who seems star struck

Jets imploding right in front of our eyes

Polians hitting the unemployment line while the Colts are in decline

Buffalo still doesn't have a defense

Pretty darned good way to end 2011/start 2012

You forgot Spanos kept Smith and Norv Turner too!

But legitimate contenders are developing in Miami and Buffalo...

You forgot Spanos kept Smith and Norv Turner too!

But legitimate contenders are developing in Miami and Buffalo...

We hear that every year right after the season ends...Hasn't materialized yet. Who know how badly Ross will screw the pooch in Miami after retaining Ireland. And Fitz is Henne II, they flash and crash. We seem to have fine tuned the blueprint to stopping him halfway through week 17. And he could yet disappear in a cloud of snow since he's got a substantial option bonus due at the start of the new league year that would lock them in to him for the forseeable future, and despite what they say they have to be experiencing at least a twinge of buyers remorse...

Yes I was pretty shocked to hear this. Anyway, if they put me in charge I would...

Draft Luck.

Pick up Manning's option (maximize his value), eat the 38M for 2012 (this team is gonna stink anyway), trade him for a king's ransom (ideally for several high picks over the next few years), parlay the picks into higher round picks a draft or two later, and totally infuse the team with as much new talent as possible.

Let picks and Luck mature 3+yrs.

Of course if I go that route I might as well blow it all up, and use the same Manning "dump and rebuild" strategy with Freeney, et al., when the time is right.

Voila. BB would be kissing my rings around 2015 or so... :eek:

Why would any team give up "a kings ransom" for a cap killing contract on a QB who missed all season, may never play again, and if he did, he is one hit away from retirement?
Manning is untradable, much less tradable for a several high picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would any team give up "a kings ransom" for a cap killing contract on a QB who missed all season, may never play again, and if he did, he is one hit away from retirement?

Any trade would be contingent on a physical.

There is absolutely no question that there are at LEAST 5-6 teams who would trade anything for a HOF QB who they feel would finally get them to the promised land, in an era where having an elite QB is all that matters.

Ruling it out is foolish there are owners and franchises who would jump at the opportunity to get Manning if they believe he can be healthy and keep playing and it is far from given he cannot. It would be well worth it for a team like the 49ers to pony up if they think he can return to form as they have the defense and running game and a HOF quality QB like Manning could give them a real shot at a couple of titles before he is done.

I can see the Jets, Browns, 49ers, Dolphin, Chiefs, and others being seriously interested if Manning became available and their medical teams deem him good to go.

If he can't get cleared to play no-one is giving anything, if he can he is still one of the best players in the league and would be highly sought after.

Ruling it out is foolish there are owners and franchises who would jump at the opportunity to get Manning if they believe he can be healthy and keep playing and it is far from given he cannot. It would be well worth it for a team like the 49ers to pony up if they think he can return to form as they have the defense and running game and a HOF quality QB like Manning could give them a real shot at a couple of titles before he is done.

I can see the Jets, Browns, 49ers, Dolphin, Chiefs, and others being seriously interested if Manning became available and their medical teams deem him good to go.

If he can't get cleared to play no-one is giving anything, if he can he is still one of the best players in the league and would be highly sought after.

But he remains untradeable for two reasons. Players cannot be traded before the start of FA on March 13th and and the Colts don't own the rights to trade him thereafter unless they pick up his $28M option before March 8th. If they pick up that option they are on the hook for a $38M dead cap hit in 2012 if they did trade him then there is no amount of draft compensation that would offset that. When Manning and his agent Tom Condon did this deal they made sure that trading Peyton would not be an option. It's play me if I'm healthy or cut me and if I play thereafter it's my choice where I go and you get nothing for me leaving except potential regrets...

And people need to stop with the potential landing spots including badly run and desperate franchises because he isn't going to voluntarily join one of them at any price. His legacy matters too much to him. He's a national icon and spokesman who makes as much off as on the field and he doesn't need to go to a large market like NY, and he isn't going to be interested in joining a circus in dissaray like the JETS. He isn't interested in competing against Bill and Tom twice a year in the AFCE. He isn't interested in going up against his brother in the NFCE either which eliminates Washington and Dallas. He isn't going to want to face Pittsburgh and Baltimore 25% of the time so rule out the AFCCentral. He isn't going to want to lock horns with Rodgers or the Lions so there goes another division. He isn't going to want to lock horns with Brees either so sayonara the well domed division. And that is all just strategic common sense.

So what options does that leave him. He will either stay close to his roots in the AFCS (JAX or TENN with new HC and/or ownership and no long term answer at QB) which is Polian's worst nightmare or head for the AFCW or NFCW. Denver despite the altitude might have been a consideration with Elway (the guy who wouldn't play for Irsay's dad) at the helm and Fox coaching the D, but they are hamstrung due to Tebowmania. But don't rule them out entirely...because being stuck with Tim scares the bejesus out of them. AZ has the weapons and coaching not to mention track record with Warner, Seattle has the deepest pocketed owner in the game and a defensive minded HC savvy enough to stay out of Manning's way. In a wide open division unless Alex Smith is the real deal in SF, and he isn't signed and he probably isn't real so add three teams from that division to the list - one of which needs a new stadium and features Andrew Luck's college coach...

At the end of the day it all depends on his health because if he is healthy Irsay can't afford to let him walk and potentially make an ass of him. Coughing up $51M in 2012 bonus and salary :eek: for 2 QB's will probably be less painful. Even though it will hamstring them against the cap and in the draft as well as FA... And despite anything you hear between now and then, don't discount the behind the scenes discussions about what both Manning and Luck are really willing to do because Tom Condon will be handling that and he will push for what is best for both of his clients and not the Indianapolis Colts.

And if he's not healthy or he just doesn't want to start over anywhere and potentially tarnish his legacy...they're just going to need a bigger desk on that CBS set. I think that the bitter pill that is retirement for these guys has become a little more paletable for Peyton over the course of this lost season in part due to the arrival of his twins. Early retirement is no longer the end of his world.

Nice read on the Polian era; too bad it wasn't written earlier. A sample:

"
When Polian disrespected the fans for questioning the infamous Jets sitdown decision in 2009, when he alone (I believe) decided at 14-0 that perfection was a meaningless pursuit, that crossed a line. Don’t insult the people who have spent so much money to give you such a great life. That goes beyond arguing a debatable football decision.
"

and ...

"
It’s nothing short of a travesty that so many over the years lived in fear at West 56th Street. Sometimes, when learning of a new story depicting the man’s rage and harshness, I would wonder how Irsay could tolerate his people being subjected to this.
"

Edit: Props to Ian Rapoport, who put the link on Twitter.

Last edited:
I'm going to be bold and say the Colts cut Manning prior to having to pay him that huge option. Haven't he and the Polians left the Colts no choice? They can't trade him before they have to pay him. I haven't read the whole thread, so I am wondering, do people think the Colts fired the Polians because they signed Manning to that huge deal when they knew or should have known that he couldn't play this season, and perhaps never again? How are they going to trade him for anything other than a very reasonable deal and a huge hit to their pocketbooks? Even if he passes a physical, as others have said, he is one good hit away from ever playing again from the looks of it.

I read on-line that Manning was meeting with Polian about what he can and can't do when word came down that Polian had to go to Irsay's office. I thought that was telling. Polian and Manning were scheming how they were going to run the team next year and Irsay finally had enough.

Isn't their only choice to cut Manning, draft Luck and bring in a new regime to bring him along?

I'm going to be bold and say the Colts cut Manning prior to having to pay him that huge option. Haven't he and the Polians left the Colts no choice? They can't trade him before they have to pay him. I haven't read the whole thread, so I am wondering, do people think the Colts fired the Polians because they signed Manning to that huge deal when they knew or should have known that he couldn't play this season, and perhaps never again? How are they going to trade him for anything other than a very reasonable deal and a huge hit to their pocketbooks? Even if he passes a physical, as others have said, he is one good hit away from ever playing again from the looks of it.

I read on-line that Manning was meeting with Polian about what he can and can't do when word came down that Polian had to go to Irsay's office. I thought that was telling. Polian and Manning were scheming how they were going to run the team next year and Irsay finally had enough.

Isn't their only choice to cut Manning, draft Luck and bring in a new regime to bring him along?
Where did you read that he was meeting with Polian? That's interesting.

Where did you read that he was meeting with Polian? That's interesting.

In the blurb from Manning (I think posted on SI.com) where he said he was "shocked" that the Polians were fired.

But he remains untradeable for two reasons. Players cannot be traded before the start of FA on March 13th and and the Colts don't own the rights to trade him thereafter unless they pick up his $28M option before March 8th. If they pick up that option they are on the hook for a $38M dead cap hit in 2012 if they did trade him then there is no amount of draft compensation that would offset that. When Manning and his agent Tom Condon did this deal they made sure that trading Peyton would not be an option. It's play me if I'm healthy or cut me and if I play thereafter it's my choice where I go and you get nothing for me leaving except potential regrets...

And people need to stop with the potential landing spots including badly run and desperate franchises because he isn't going to voluntarily join one of them at any price. His legacy matters too much to him. He's a national icon and spokesman who makes as much off as on the field and he doesn't need to go to a large market like NY, and he isn't going to be interested in joining a circus in dissaray like the JETS. He isn't interested in competing against Bill and Tom twice a year in the AFCE. He isn't interested in going up against his brother in the NFCE either which eliminates Washington and Dallas. He isn't going to want to face Pittsburgh and Baltimore 25% of the time so rule out the AFCCentral. He isn't going to want to lock horns with Rodgers or the Lions so there goes another division. He isn't going to want to lock horns with Brees either so sayonara the well domed division. And that is all just strategic common sense.

So what options does that leave him. He will either stay close to his roots in the AFCS (JAX or TENN with new HC and/or ownership and no long term answer at QB) which is Polian's worst nightmare or head for the AFCW or NFCW. Denver despite the altitude might have been a consideration with Elway (the guy who wouldn't play for Irsay's dad) at the helm and Fox coaching the D, but they are hamstrung due to Tebowmania. But don't rule them out entirely...because being stuck with Tim scares the bejesus out of them. AZ has the weapons and coaching not to mention track record with Warner, Seattle has the deepest pocketed owner in the game and a defensive minded HC savvy enough to stay out of Manning's way. In a wide open division unless Alex Smith is the real deal in SF, and he isn't signed and he probably isn't real so add three teams from that division to the list - one of which needs a new stadium and features Andrew Luck's college coach...

At the end of the day it all depends on his health because if he is healthy Irsay can't afford to let him walk and potentially make an ass of him. Coughing up $51M in 2012 bonus and salary :eek: for 2 QB's will probably be less painful. Even though it will hamstring them against the cap and in the draft as well as FA... And despite anything you hear between now and then, don't discount the behind the scenes discussions about what both Manning and Luck are really willing to do because Tom Condon will be handling that and he will push for what is best for both of his clients and not the Indianapolis Colts.

And if he's not healthy or he just doesn't want to start over anywhere and potentially tarnish his legacy...they're just going to need a bigger desk on that CBS set. I think that the bitter pill that is retirement for these guys has become a little more paletable for Peyton over the course of this lost season in part due to the arrival of his twins. Early retirement is no longer the end of his world.

Much is going to depend on whether or not Peyton can pass his end of year physical. If he can't, then it won't matter because the Colts won't pick up the option and can part ways without blinking. Or it will allow them to get Manning to move the date of the option pay-out. Something they can do since they can renegotiate that term without penalty, as you pointed out.

I think you'll find that there will be plenty of options for Manning in terms of teams willing to take him and in terms of where he's willing to go. More than you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST