PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Coaching firings around the league

All guys with Patriots connections in some ways. Holdovers from the Flores regime?
Yes, the Dolphins thought they were so smart to keep Flores’ defensive staff in place (minus Flores himself) and let McDaniel bring in his offensive staff.

Now McDaniel probably won’t get whoever his first choice on the 49ers staff was, because he’ll be competing with DeMeco Ryans (assuming he gets an HC job) and Kyle Shanahan (to replace Ryans).

Yes, the Dolphins thought they were so smart to keep Flores’ defensive staff in place (minus Flores himself) and let McDaniel bring in his offensive staff.

Now McDaniel probably won’t get whoever his first choice on the 49ers staff was, because he’ll be competing with DeMeco Ryans (assuming he gets an HC job) and Kyle Shanahan (to replace Ryans).
That's definitely something to keep in mind: when you say 'fire the coaches', who can you get that is better?

There are now 10 teams who are looking for a new offensive coordinator, are there 10 NFL-caliber OCs out there who aren't already under contract to other teams?

I think a lot of the fired coordinators are just fall guys to help the HC and GM keep their jobs. There's a few that clearly aren't good coordinators (Matty P), but a lot are being fired mostly to take the fall for others.

Makes me wonder, are there really 10 people out there qualified to be NFL offensive coordinators?

Yes, you just wouldn’t know it on this site, where many believe your offensive coordinator is the difference between 6-11 and 11-6.

I think the Rams and Chargers are better jobs than our OC spot. If the Ravens and Bucs get Lamar and Brady back I think they are better jobs. The Cardinals might be a toss up but I would say we are a better landing spot for an OC than the Jets, Commanders, Titans, and Colts.
If I'm an OC, I put all my marbles in the Chargers opening. Why would a guy like BoB come here when he can coach Herbert, Allen, Williams, Everett and Ekler?

If I'm an OC, I put all my marbles in the Chargers opening. Why would a guy like BoB come here when he can coach Herbert, Allen, Williams, Everett and Ekler?

I can think of one pretty darned good reason to start with:

Brandon Staley remains their head coach after last Saturday’s collapse against the Jaguars knocked the team out of the playoffs

Really surprised Matt Canada hasn't been fired.

Sure, but Lombardi grossly under utilized that talent.
It’s been trendy to blame everyone ‘utilizing’ the ‘talent’ when in fact, the talent might be fools Gold.

It’s been trendy to blame everyone ‘utilizing’ the ‘talent’ when in fact, the talent might be fools Gold.
Ok hater. Lol

The Bucs will begin an immediate search for Leftwich’s replacement. Among the candidates are Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien. The former Penn State and Houston Texans head coach was Brady’s quarterback coach and offensive coordinator for three seasons in New England.

Ok hater. Lol
Heehee. I’m a hoot.

My before-I-die-fandom-goals include (1) as many SBs in NE as possible (2) the retirement of Herbert after many many passing titles and zero AFCCG (or NFCCG) appearances as pundits slobber over his out of worldly career.

I can think of one pretty darned good reason to start with:
Right, but if you’re an OC with head coaching aspirations (like BOB, presumably), he can position himself to be first in line for the interim role (if midseason firing) or permanent position afterwards. That could make it more appealing. Obviously there’s the chance he goes down with the ship too, but it might be a chance worth taking.

The Bucs will begin an immediate search for Leftwich’s replacement. Among the candidates are Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien. The former Penn State and Houston Texans head coach was Brady’s quarterback coach and offensive coordinator for three seasons in New England.

If O'Brien ends up in Tampa, that'd be one hell of a clue about Brady's 2023 plan.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back