PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Coaching firings around the league

Yes, you just wouldn’t know it on this site, where many believe your offensive coordinator is the difference between 6-11 and 11-6.
If you think we're bad that way, I can tell you from the few visits I've made there that the Jete forum is far worse.

Right, but if you’re an OC with head coaching aspirations (like BOB, presumably), he can position himself to be first in line for the interim role (if midseason firing) or permanent position afterwards. That could make it more appealing. Obviously there’s the chance he goes down with the ship too, but it might be a chance worth taking.

Sure, but look at what happened with Leftwich under Bowles. Last year, Leftwich was being talked about as a head coach candidate. This year, he's looking for work. And, just there in San Diego, the guy who's side of the ball put up 30 points in the playoffs got fired, and not the guy who's side of the ball let up 31.

That's what happens to an offensive coordinator with a defensive-minded head coach who is protecting his own ass.

Sure, but look at what happened with Leftwich under Bowles. Last year, Leftwich was being talked about as a head coach candidate. This year, he's looking for work. And, just there in San Diego, the guy who's side of the ball put up 30 points in the playoffs got fired, and not the guy who's side of the ball let up 31.

That's what happens to an offensive coordinator with a defensive-minded head coach who is protecting his own ass.
Agree, but Bowles inherited all of BAs offensive coaches. This would be a new OC selected by the HC. Not sure who selected Lombardi though. Was it Staley?

Agree, but Bowles inherited all of BAs offensive coaches. This would be a new OC selected by the HC. Not sure who selected Lombardi though. Was it Staley?

Staley is likely going to be looking to pick from the Sean McVay/Kyle Shanahan/Matt LaFleur coaching tree. That is the flavor of offense he wanted to install when he took the coaching job, but various factors led to him hiring Lombardi when he was putting his initial staff together.

Chargers' Staley will return; team fires OC Lombardi

To be clear:

I'm not defending Lombardi. I'm just saying that Staley's been a problem since he was hired, and firing the O.C. is a scapegoat move.

I have to presume he left with an offer in hand, or at least the outline of what an offer would look like that other teams would have to compete against.
I’m hoping they are just ironing out the details.

Boyer coached on the Pats.
Gregory played for the Pats.
McKenzie was a Pats draft pick who tore his ACL in Mini Camp.
Ferentz is the brother of James Ferentz and son of former BB coach, Kirk Ferentz.

I hope if BoB is our new OC he has a say on we Draft on Offense. He'll have a nice foundation piece in Rham.
Why? Like the absolute worst thing about BoB in Houston that got him fired was his general manager duties. He was ****ing awful at team construction. Even Houston fans will say he was a good coach who mismanaged everything else.

I'm actually praying it's not BOB!
He's another MP type - only more vocal and obnoxious.
But same Parcellian mental games, ego-driven. Billy is more noise than brains.
We need an even-keeled, communicator, leader of men.

It maybe worth watching how Reich gets on with the Panthers , seems like a good move.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back