PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chargers Moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's important to note that by all estimates, Spanos was making a TON of money. This isn't a case of an NHL team having to leave a market to barely survive. It's ****load of cash vs. potential bigger ****load of cash.

And I wonder if the fans will come out and support this team. Sure, it's better than the Rams. But the few hardcore fans have been burned before from losing their teams. Will they jump in bed with an owner who just ripped his franchise from it's longstanding home?

It's like when somebody has an affair with a married person, do you honestly think they're going to be faithful to you too after a few years?

Anyways, it's a shame it happened, but not a surprise. But if the NFL keeps sending ****ty football teams to LA, don't be surprised if the city stops caring about football.

Does this $650M relocation fee limit Spanos to moving to LA, or can they become the Mexico City Chargers if he finds a better deal in the meantime?

I mean, shouldn't LA show they can support one NFL team before they get another?

rams-2.png

Two quotes

History repeats itself
...and
Man learns nothing from history

Like others have said, LA has lots of transplants that don't care about football. The 70's Rams fans were the all time worst. Sports writers actually talked about a home field disadvantage with fans booing the Rams - they deserved to be without a team for 20 something years. They frequently choked early in the playoff...back then the Saints, Falcons, and 49ers were low feeders. A lot like the Colts recently and the non-competitive AFC South.

Raiders move to LA in hopes of taking the fans from the Rams. In 96' both teams move out. LA had a chance at an expansion team by 2002, but let Houston outbid them.

On paper, the 2nd largest city should support a team or two, but history indicates Southern California is just not that much into pro football.

Last edited:
This is so dumb. LA could barely give a single s**t about the Rams and now they are about to get a second team. Why? No one will care about them unless the Chargers turn their team into Playoff contenders. F*** Dean Spanos and f*** the NFL.

This is such a scam. They'll collect their relocation fees and the owner will make his money on ridiculous luxury boxes and then in 20 years he'll complain about a lack of support and move them to the next highest bidder (sucker) he can find.

Same thing happened to St Louis. They lost the Cardinals, got the Rams and then lost them back to the city they came from. All in the name of scare tactics to try and force fans to pony up taxpayer money to subsidize a bunch of billionaires.

Think about the whole Colts, Browns, Ravens situation, another disgusting example of greed. Baltimore loses their team to Indy, so then Cleveland loses their team to Baltimore and then they get an expansion team. I mean WTF kinda logic is that?

The NFL has priced themselves into the stratosphere where you need to sell a kidney just to afford to take your family to a game. The whole thing is just sickening.

I'm enjoying every minute of the last few years we have with Belichick and Brady because Krafty is going to be in for a rude awakening when they ride off into the sunset. You'd think he would be more grateful to the two men who have made him billions instead of throwing them under the bus while Goodell bends him over.

hmmm, la traffic is awful, now two NFL teams there? Damn it's gonna be a ***** with the NFL scheduling....look what a mess NY is with the Jets and Giants...

With the above said I hope now the raiders get what they deserve and that is a move to Las Vegas, they will attract tons of celebrities and tourists and you know how Vegas is, 24/7 party there.

Oakland needs to smarten up and give the Raiders a new stadium.

Good young talented team and you gonna lose them to Vegas just as they get good again and for what?

Why is everyone on here talking about the fans ? In the NFL's 32, the fans are only a drop in the ocean. The Chargers only need to pay 650M to get over 2B almost instantaneously. Corporate, PSLs... they make profit even if 10 fans show up.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ > fans for them. Yes, if everyone decides to tune out, the league eventually loses money. Yes, boxing used to be an "it" sport. But in today's NFL, this move was all about money & money the Chargers will make. Almost right away. And that is what the 32 love.

Having lived in a city that had its team stolen, colts, and stole a team, browns, I feel for the charger fans. It wouldn't surprise me if the voters now do support funding to steal another cities team, jaguars? That's how it played elsewhere.

The LA market may be huge but most of them are transplants and its not a huge NFL market.. I don't understand why you would want multiple teams there. In SD's case the owner wanted public funding for a new Stadium in SD, they got less than half the vote and apparently chargers fans aren't that great.

I think its pretty ****ty for billionare owners to ask the public to help them pay for a stadium. Thats like totally taking advantage of people. It got 43% of the vote which is actually pretty damn high, but for that kind of public funding SD residents needed a 75% vote in favor of the 650 million.
Imagine if other corporations started to ask taxpayers to build their facilities if you want them to stay

It should be illegal for taxpayers to fund private enterprises. These NFL teams try to hold their host cities hostage.

San Diego will lose a lot of business and tax revenues when the Chargers leave. And that's the power NFL owners have

This makes me sad.

I can understand when teams relocate due to lack of fan support.

Relocating because they couldn't figure out the monies needed for a new stadium just hits a nerve.

Another reminder the almighty dollar is the governing principal of the NFL.

The two LA teams should be renamed the Waifs an Strays. It's saddening that an original AFL team of such former prominence finds it easier to abandon their legacy to chase "greener grass" offered up by a city with more corrupt politicians. I know it happens all the time but it still stinks.

What a shame. Screw Spanos. That team will have no identity going forward.
Unfortunately, Spanos is the "identity" and that's the problem.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about Eli Manning (other than to compliment him on his luck), but he was 100% right to refuse to play for the Spanos family.

So they might actually be able to sell out :D
The Rams sold out last year. The Chargers just sold out. Be awhile before either one sells out again.

When the teams struggle, people will stay away. LA isn't a great sports town. This will be a disaster in a few years. Much like the NHL going to Vegas will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back