PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Celtics / Sixers - Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 UFA are Baynes (ouch), Monroe (tough), Larkin (meh). Smart is a RFA (ouch).
2019 UFA are Theis (we'll see next year), Morris (probably meh with return of Hayward taking up the playing time). Rozier (ouch) is RFA.
2020 is when it all starts to fall apart with Horford and Irving as UFA and Hayward having a player option.

I don't know a ton about basketball but aren't the Celtics also loaded with draft capital?

I don't know a ton about basketball but aren't the Celtics also loaded with draft capital?

they will likely have sacramentos lottery pick in 2019......unless LA lands 3-6 in the lottery this year...then we get that pick......I think

Have no idea why there has been talk of trading Rozier. This guy is developing before our eyes. Could be the unexpected bonus player that leads to championships.

he's not going to be a backup, and he's not Irving......the celts will be able to get a ton for him

they will likely have sacramentos lottery pick in 2019......unless LA lands 3-6 in the lottery this year...then we get that pick......I think

Is that how it goes? I know that the lottery will not hand the lakers a top 6 pick if that's the case.

Rozier will be traded......hate to do it, but he will bring in a lottery pick

Idk. I don't like giving up players like that but you might be right. We will see. I wish we could get a guy like Anthony Davis in a celtics jersey.

2018 UFA are Baynes (ouch), Monroe (tough), Larkin (meh). Smart is a RFA (ouch).
2019 UFA are Theis (we'll see next year), Morris (probably meh with return of Hayward taking up the playing time). Rozier (ouch) is RFA.
2020 is when it all starts to fall apart with Horford and Irving as UFA and Hayward having a player option.

Irving will get a max contract......Horford will be old

It only falls apart if the front office does nothing which is something they are not known for......a max/supermax big man will be brought in when Horford is done....Baynes will be back for same money and as long as Smart doesn't know how to shoot, he will not be a max player

Monroe is replaceable......preferably with someone more athletic and defensive minded

The key here is Tatum and Brown continuing to develop

Is that how it goes? I know that the lottery will not hand the lakers a top 6 pick if that's the case.

The future first-round pick that Boston will receive will be the Los Angeles Lakers' first-round pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, provided that such pick is No. 2, No. 3, No. 4, or No. 5 in the 2018 NBA Draft. If the Lakers' 2018 first-round pick is No. 1 or is No. 6 or later, the Sixers will instead convey to the Celtics the rights to the more favorable of the Sixers' own 2019 first-round pick or the Sacramento Kings' 2019 first-round pick, provided that the more favorable pick is not the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. If the more favorable of the Sixers' and Kings' 2019 first-round picks is the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Sixers will instead convey the rights to the less favorable of those two picks

Idk. I don't like giving up players like that but you might be right. We will see. I wish we could get a guy like Anthony Davis in a celtics jersey.

that comes down to timing......which is to have the max/supermax slot available to simply go out and get someone as well as their desire to be here

It's funny how they call the sixers young.....they had the oldest player on the floor and the celts had the youngest.......celt are tied with philly as the 4th youngest team in the NBA

and they still have some extra draft capital and roster leverage.......they are well built for the long haul

Irving will get a max contract......Horford will be old

It only falls apart if the front office does nothing which is something they are not known for......a max/supermax big man will be brought in when Horford is done....Baynes will be back for same money and as long as Smart doesn't know how to shoot, he will not be a max player

Monroe is replaceable......preferably with someone more athletic and defensive minded

The key here is Tatum and Brown continuing to develop

Yeah, my use of the phrasing "falls apart" was in reference to Deus' post about the team as formulated now. I agree, with the draft capital and Ainge, they'll do fine adding pieces to keep it competitive. The core of Irving, Tatum, Hayward, and Brown can be kept financially through 2021, and that's pretty amazing. Four guys who will make all star games.

Hope you are right about Baynes; this is a perfect situation for him, where he can have a few great games each month but not be expected to every night out. Smart has been enough of a pain in the @ss to other teams that one of them will give him an offer the Celts can't match this season. And I wish him well.

Yeah, my use of the phrasing "falls apart" was in reference to Deus' post about the team as formulated now. I agree, with the draft capital and Ainge, they'll do fine adding pieces to keep it competitive. The core of Irving, Tatum, Hayward, and Brown can be kept financially through 2021, and that's pretty amazing. Four guys who will make all star games.

Hope you are right about Baynes; this is a perfect situation for him, where he can have a few great games each month but not be expected to every night out. Smart has been enough of a pain in the @ss to other teams that one of them will give him an offer the Celts can't match this season. And I wish him well.

maybe, but while RFA works out for some, it becomes a hinderance to others

I'd really hate to see Smart go. I don't care how limited he is on offense, his defense is superb and he can erase opposing team's star players. If it's just a question of luxury tax, they should just pay it to keep this team together.

Rozier will be traded......hate to do it, but he will bring in a lottery pick

I'm not a salary cap expert but if there's any Earthly way we can keep Smart and Rozier, we really should. Rozier is starting to look like Isiah Thomas (the Piston's 80's-90's one).

It’s a sad testament to the state of the NBA that all of this is just window dressing to the Warriors steamrolling whoever comes out of the East in 4 games.

I'd really hate to see Smart go. I don't care how limited he is on offense, his defense is superb and he can erase opposing team's star players. If it's just a question of luxury tax, they should just pay it to keep this team together.

3 "Max" guys (at least until Horford's deal is up)
Tatum
Brown

That's where the money has to go. I doubt they want to lose Smart or Rozier, but it's the money that talks.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

It’s a sad testament to the state of the NBA that all of this is just window dressing to the Warriors steamrolling whoever comes out of the East in 4 games.

The Celtics armed with Kyrie & Hayward next year will seriously challenge the Dubs...no doubt in my mind. Hell, I even think this team can make the Finals this year and push the Dubs/Rockets to at least 5 games.

It's 2-6, but since the Lakers can't get the 4th through 6th picks, the Celtics only get it if it's 2 or 3 this year. Very likely to be the Kings pick.

Not too familiar with NBA, though this roster is definitely keeping me interested - any reason why the Celtics are having better offensive performances against the 76ers? Were the Bucks a defensively stout team?

It was all Antetokounmpo and Thon Maker blocking shots and making us shoot like World B. Free. I expect the Sixers to adjust next game and take away those easy baskets....expect more scoring droughts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back