PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Arians steps down as Tampa HC

What is it exactly that Bruce Arians did last year to ruin the Bucs season? As far as I see it, it was the Bucs soft defense, particularly against the pass. Isn't that Jason Licht's job? Is it Arians' fault that Brady is 1-6 vs the Rams and Saints as a Buc?
The Bucs under Arians were sloppy, always near dead last in penalties, and before Tom got there turnovers.

In 2020 they led the NFL in penalties until midway through the season and offensively refused to run the ball. It cost them games.

I believe Tom and Leftwich had to fix this, when a player… never mind a QB tells you that “in New England we used to run the ball to win in the playoffs” it is ironic to the nth degree. QB’s want to pass the ball 100% of the time, Tom and the assistant coaches were the common sense part of the outfit.

Last edited:
If Brady is running the show, he would have had the Bucs hire McDaniels or BOB, people he's worked with for many years as opposed to Bowles.

1 Probably
2. Edelman doesn't have a knee
You are assuming they would want to go there. McDaniels got a good HC gig in Vegas which is a prime city, the team has talent and he won’t be rushing to win now with a star QB who could retire.

Also Brady has worked with the Tampa guys for two years. He has a good relationship with Leftwich and reportedly didn’t like Arians interfering in game plans. Bowles has been solid defensively as well. It’s probably just as simple as getting someone viewed as a lazy undisciplined problem out of the way so Brady can have more oversight on the offense.

Todd Bowles was the Bucs' DC for the past 3 seasons and quickly turned around a subpar defense.

Stat2015-182019-21
Def efficiency27th7th
Sack rate23rd10th
RZ efficiencyLast6th

There's a bunch of dots to connect but one of them being largely overlooked is Arian's age and health history.

Last edited:
There's a bunch if dots to connect but one of them being largely overlooked is Arian's age and health history.
It made the decision easy, especially with two very qualified diversity hires already on the team. Arians and Licht are pals, that’s how he ended up with an office job instead of getting canned outright. Optics…

Interesting note about Arians. He was the last active member of the Paul Bear Bryant Tree. Here is a picture of him and Bear and him, that him to the right of Bear, during Bear's last game, the 1982 Liberty Bowl.
1648734897985.png

The Bucs under Arians were sloppy, always near dead last in penalties, and before Tom got there turnovers.

In 2020 they led the NFL in penalties until midway through the season and offensively refused to run the ball. It cost them games.

I believe Tom and Leftwich had to fix this, when a player… never mind a QB tells you that “in New England we used to run the ball to win in the playoffs” it is ironic to the nth degree. QB’s want to pass the ball 100% of the time, Tom and the assistant coaches were the common sense part of the outfit.

They were 13-4 under Arians last year...their losses to the Rams, Saints, WFT were not due to them not running the ball or penalties. It was because, as usual, Tom struggles against teams with good defensive fronts. This means you need a better offensive line and that's on Jason Licht.

What is it exactly that Bruce Arians did last year to ruin the Bucs season?
I have no idea, I am not a Bucs fan.
As far as I see it, it was the Bucs soft defense, particularly against the pass. Isn't that Jason Licht's job to fix?
Again, I don't know. I am not a Bucs fan. I do not know if they lost because of scheme or lack of talent. I don't watch the Bucs, per se. I might watch some or part of a game, and I did watch the playoffs, but not with the same level of analyzation or scrutiny as the Pats.
Is it Arians' fault that Brady is 1-6 vs the Rams and Saints as a Buc?
Maybe. Does he get the most out of Brady and the offense? Does he game plan or does Brady/Leftwich? We know Arians changed it and Leftwich and Brady felt "undermined" Again, I don't know, I am not watching their games.

What I do know is that Arians out and Brady is in. There appears to have been a power struggle and Brady won.
Aside from the rumors by ex-OL Rich Ohrnberger (Brady's teammate in NE from 2009-11) what other sources are there about this friction? Ohrnberger tweeted Mahomes talked w/ Brittany Matthews & Jackson about not attending his games in the future and then deleted the tweet. None of the local beat writers confirm any of these rumors. Nothing from players, ex-players, assistants, etc. BA cusses out all the players. So what? I think Brady is used to tough coaching.
I should have posted it looks like he forced Arians out. I don't know for sure that there was friction, but look at what happened:
  • Media types leak Brady is retiring
  • Brady retires
  • Rumors of Brady un-retiring
  • Brady meets with Glazier in London
  • Brady un-retires
  • Arians out
Is it that hard to connect the dots? I don't think so. Brady wanted Arians out, and he's out. If Brady wanted Arians there, don't you think he'd be there still? Is it friction based? Is it coaching/scheme based? Tom Brady would certainly be qualified to know if a HC knew WTF he was talking about or doing. As Tom says, he knows the answers to the test. Did Arians? Were they on the same page? Was there friction? I don't know. But Arians is out and Brady is in. As De Niro said in The Untouchables: You got an all-out prize fight? You wait until the fight is over, one guy's left standing, and that's how you know who won.

If Brady is running the show, he would have had the Bucs hire McDaniels or BOB, people he's worked with for many years as opposed to Bowles.

1 Probably
2. Edelman doesn't have a knee
*IF* Brady is running the show? “Hello Mr Glazer, if you’d like me to un-retire then Bruce gotta go upstairs, I’ll manage the offense and Todd can take care of the defense. Otherwise, I think Giselle is calling”!

It made the decision easy, especially with two very qualified diversity hires already on the team. Arians and Licht are pals, that’s how he ended up with an office job instead of getting canned outright. Optics…
That's true too

Screw it. Make Brady the player/coach for poops and giggles.

*IF* Brady is running the show? “Hello Mr Glazer, if you’d like me to un-retire then Bruce gotta go upstairs, I’ll manage the offense and Todd can take care of the defense. Otherwise, I think Giselle is calling”!
Whoa!
Could Giselle become the first female NFL coach? Stay tuned! Asking for a fiend.

I have no idea, I am not a Bucs fan.

Again, I don't know. I am not a Bucs fan. I do not know if they lost because of scheme or lack of talent. I don't watch the Bucs, per se. I might watch some or part of a game, and I did watch the playoffs, but not with the same level of analyzation or scrutiny as the Pats.

Maybe. Does he get the most out of Brady and the offense? Does he game plan or does Brady/Leftwich? We know Arians changed it and Leftwich and Brady felt "undermined" Again, I don't know, I am not watching their games.

What I do know is that Arians out and Brady is in. There appears to have been a power struggle and Brady won.

I should have posted it looks like he forced Arians out. I don't know for sure that there was friction, but look at what happened:
  • Media types leak Brady is retiring
  • Brady retires
  • Rumors of Brady un-retiring
  • Brady meets with Glazier in London
  • Brady un-retires
  • Arians out
Is it that hard to connect the dots? I don't think so. Brady wanted Arians out, and he's out. If Brady wanted Arians there, don't you think he'd be there still? Is it friction based? Is it coaching/scheme based? Tom Brady would certainly be qualified to know if a HC knew WTF he was talking about or doing. As Tom says, he knows the answers to the test. Did Arians? Were they on the same page? Was there friction? I don't know. But Arians is out and Brady is in. As De Niro said in The Untouchables: You got an all-out prize fight? You wait until the fight is over, one guy's left standing, and that's how you know who won.

If Brady wanted Arians out, then I lost a lot of respect for him. He wanted Belichick out and now another HC. In effect it would be him blaming last year's loss to the Rams on Arians instead of taking responsibility for the poor offensive performance for most of the game.

This also is bad news for Belichick. If Brady wins another division and makes another deep playoff run with a third HC, potentially even wins another SB, with Belichick continuing to flounder in NE, then it will further erode Belichick’s legacy. Brady’s going to look like a player who can win with pretty much any random HC. That’s going to be the perception. Am I wrong?

No need to bring Belichick into this, Bradyite. And if you think Bowles is going to step back and allow Brady/Leftwhich to run the offense, you are gravely mistaken. He's one of two black HCs in the NFL. His fingerprints are going to be all over the Bucs next year in all phases of the game, good or bad.

If Brady wanted Arians out, then I lost a lot of respect for him. He wanted Belichick out and now another HC. In effect it would be him blaming last year's loss to the Rams on Arians instead of taking responsibility for the poor offensive performance for most of the game.
I don't think Brady will lose any sleep over you not respecting him.

The final straw for Brady was Arians telling AB to f*ck off in the middle of a game. Brady and the players were trying to handle it between players and Arians blew the whole thing up on the sideline. Once AB was gone, with Godwin out with the ACL, Brady knew they were cooked. Brady is willing to put up with AB because he actually helps him win football games. Arians on the other hand is worthless to Brady.

No need to bring Belichick into this, Bradyite. And if you think Bowles is going to step back and allow Brady/Leftwhich to run the offense, you are gravely mistaken. He's one of two black HCs in the NFL. His fingerprints are going to be all over the Bucs next year in all phases of the game, good or bad.
Agree if I see one more mention of BB by this poster (one trick pony), he will not be posting anymore. Last warning.

He's black?? What the hell does that have to do with whether or not he'll have say with the offense?

Bowles = 0% offensive input

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back