PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Anthony Bourdain dead of suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sad news....

Not sure if he was a good guy or not...but he was entertaining for sure and I enjoyed his shows. However he was kind of a d-bag to other people in the food industry and openly snd sometimes unnecessarily critical of others in his profession.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
One thing I struggle with with those who commit suicide, when all seems to be going on well with their lives from the outside, is how to remember them? Were they pretending to be happy? Their advice about life and outlook, are they all useless? I still don't know to remember Robin Williams.
I also struggle with that question. I've had two people close to me who have taken their lives. I think about them often.

For those two people, I, without a doubt KNEW they were happy once. As they got older, life threw some awful curveballs at them and they did what they felt was best for them. One sought help but their depression was too deep. The other blindsided us. Completely out of nowhere. As we learned more we understood their rationale.

So I guess my comment to your post is to remember their good moments and the good times you had with them. If you go down the speculation/could-have-done-more-for-them path it will not do you, or their memory any good.

With Robin Williams....he brought us laughter and damn good acting when he applied himself.

Think of the good times because the alternative sucks.

maxresdefault.jpg

Don't know about eating their food part. No way I am eating snake meat. No no hell to the no.
main-qimg-60fd6c1bd6cf3c5175febcb23749247c-c

Don't think I can bring myself to try dog meat as well, hell even cats may be safe though I don' t like them.
I have respect for all people from any where but I draw the line on what goes into my stomach.

Much like some of the other issues in our country such as higher incarceration rates and overdose deaths, suicide has increased about 30% since the year 2000.

Life is hard for many. We should appreciate what we have, while doing our best to withhold judgment on those who are struggling.

Well that’s what happens when you are indoctrinated to believe that to get a decent job you need to go to college and assume massive debt to take a career that leads salaries haven’t increased in decades while the average costs of home/rent, utilities etc have increased. Meanwhile along with this debt and inflation it’s almkst necessary to have extra utilities like a pc and smartphone to function. It’s very unsustainable. Most young people look at the prospect of getting a house as added more to the debt they are frantically trying to pay off and a kid is another huge financial burden. Meanwhile because people are more connected than ever you have them never being “away from work”.
And then add the disincentive to marriage or living together in a relationship. Shacked up for a couple years? Get ready to pay a huge chunk of your income in spousal support for years. Oh, and another 20 percent plus of your income if you had a kid. And no, you don't get a discount for the fact you're already paying 40 percent of your income to student loans. And don't forget, you also better keep making that mortgage payment for the house you no longer live in while this all gets sorted out in court.

And then add the disincentive to marriage or living together in a relationship. Shacked up for a couple years? Get ready to pay a huge chunk of your income in spousal support for years. Oh, and another 20 percent plus of your income if you had a kid. And no, you don't get a discount for the fact you're already paying 40 percent of your income to student loans. And don't forget, you also better keep making that mortgage payment for the house you no longer live in while this all gets sorted out in court.
Yeah there’s so much that incentives a 20 something to avoid any financial commitment. One wrong thing happens and you are screwed. The people getting married and having tons of kids are poor dopes who have no hope.

Even the rich people these days are like “yeah sign a prenuno and I’ll marry you and we’ll hold off on kids till our late 30’s”

My son, who is an executive chef, turned me on to "Kitchen Confidential" a while ago.. and I became a Bourdain devotee.

He has become somewhat of a food guide for me, before I travel always check out what he has to say about food the area I am visiting..

He was more "human" than most of these guys who are making a living off of food.. sometimes suicide for guys such as this is hard to understand as he was not isolated and not alone, he fought depression and issues associated with a recovering addict, he was travelling with good friend Eric Ripert..

Always liked his overall honesty and how he viewed the politics intertwined with the food..

My son, who is an executive chef, turned me on to "Kitchen Confidential" a while ago.. and I became a Bourdain devotee.

He has become somewhat of a food guide for me, before I travel always check out what he has to say about food the area I am visiting..

He was more "human" than most of these guys who are making a living off of food.. sometimes suicide for guys such as this is hard to understand as he was not isolated and not alone, he fought depression and issues associated with a recovering addict, he was travelling with good friend Eric Ripert..

Always liked his overall honesty and how he viewed the politics intertwined with the food..
I think he was with Ripert, who lives in France, because he was shooting an episode there -- not traveling with him (correct me if I'm wrong). In a CNN tribute to Bourdain last night there was speculation that he indeed was quite lonely as he traveled for his show some 200-plus days a year.

One thing that bugs me is he left an 11-year-old daughter behind. He often talked about her and mentioned her several times as his reason for living. I really suspect his addiction struggles were at the root of his suicide.

Don't know about eating their food part. No way I am eating snake meat. No no hell to the no.
main-qimg-60fd6c1bd6cf3c5175febcb23749247c-c

Don't think I can bring myself to try dog meat as well, hell even cats may be safe though I don' t like them.
I have respect for all people from any where but I draw the line on what goes into my stomach.
Snake is ok, actually.

I think he was with Ripert, who lives in France, because he was shooting an episode there -- not traveling with him (correct me if I'm wrong). In a CNN tribute to Bourdain last night there was speculation that he indeed was quite lonely as he traveled for his show some 200-plus days a year.

One thing that bugs me is he left an 11-year-old daughter behind. He often talked about her and mentioned her several times as his reason for living. I really suspect his addiction struggles were at the root of his suicide.
One can only hope Bourdain planned so his daughter would be taken care of.

I also struggle with that question. I've had two people close to me who have taken their lives. I think about them often.

For those two people, I, without a doubt KNEW they were happy once. As they got older, life threw some awful curveballs at them and they did what they felt was best for them. One sought help but their depression was too deep. The other blindsided us. Completely out of nowhere. As we learned more we understood their rationale.

So I guess my comment to your post is to remember their good moments and the good times you had with them. If you go down the speculation/could-have-done-more-for-them path it will not do you, or their memory any good.

With Robin Williams....he brought us laughter and damn good acting when he applied himself.

Think of the good times because the alternative sucks.
That's the most phucked up part about suffering from depression. If I'm depressed, it's because something bad happened in my life and I feel I can overcome it because I don't suffer from it as a mental health disorder. For those people like Anthony Bourdain and Robin Williams who appear to have life right where they want it, it makes it that much harder to comprehend what brings people to such depths to commit suicide. If any positive can come from it, it's to bring attention to the real struggles of people who fight it everyday of their lives. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

That's the most phucked up part about suffering from depression. If I'm depressed, it's because something bad happened in my life and I feel I can overcome it because I don't suffer from it as a mental health disorder. For those people like Anthony Bourdain and Robin Williams who appear to have life right where they want it, it makes it that much harder to comprehend what brings people to such depths to commit suicide. If any positive can come from it, it's to bring attention to the real struggles of people who fight it everyday of their lives. RIP Anthony Bourdain.
We are conditioned to think we want money and fame. Such things can cause moments of happiness, but it's fleeting. Real happiness comes from feeling loved, connection, genuine fulfillment and being true to ourselves. Most of us are so buried in our conditioning that is extremely difficult to even find out who we really are, nevermind being true to it.

My late 20’s age son suffers from depression.....I was always the suck it up type of person but depression is a serious real thing...The things I could write about it experiencing as a parent would be lengthy but make no mistake it is devastating and Im always wondering when I might get a call I dont want to hear......ugh

Suicide is becoming epidemic in this country.
Hard to believe that we’ve built a society where people killing children, people killing themselves, child molestation and exploitation/sexual harassment of women are pretty much the daily news.
If you know someone named Noah and you see him at the lumber store stick close to him.
That’s why I no longer sweat anything I hear in the news. There’s a lot being written about and studied on how technology & social media is creating a depression epidemic

People are also losing SLEEP due to technology. Now to me, that’s easy to overcome. Sleeping is an essential ingredient to a happy life. And I’m a pretty content guy. If someone wants to choose this path, it’s sad. But I don’t get down over it. If I did, I’d be down all the time

Being connected 24-7 isn’t healthy for any of us. There’s so much good out there if we just put down the phone & tablet.

Much like some of the other issues in our country such as higher incarceration rates and overdose deaths, suicide has increased about 30% since the year 2000.

Life is hard for many. We should appreciate what we have, while doing our best to withhold judgment on those who are struggling.
I have no clue other than an impression and anecdotal examples but I would not be surprised at all to find out the increase is more attributed to the sense of entitlement to happiness that seems to be growing in this country than to those that have it hard. Those that have it hard have always had it hard but suicide, school shootings, etc seem to be rising drastically among the middle and upper classes. Teenagers of well off parents seem to be the new at risk group.

That’s why I no longer sweat anything I hear in the news. There’s a lot being written about and studied on how technology & social media is creating a depression epidemic

People are also losing SLEEP due to technology. Now to me, that’s easy to overcome. Sleeping is an essential ingredient to a happy life. And I’m a pretty content guy. If someone wants to choose this path, it’s sad. But I don’t get down over it. If I did, I’d be down all the time

Being connected 24-7 isn’t healthy for any of us. There’s so much good out there if we just put down the phone & tablet.
And the thing you obsesss over today is forgotten and replaced by a new disaster a few days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back