PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Anthony Bourdain dead of suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree on the sad news part.

Crime rates, homicides, violence of all types has been steadily dropping for decades. News coverage of it has not, though.

Suicides buck the trend of the many things that are getting noticeably better, though. Slight downward trend, but really pretty steady, sadly.

USA suicide rate per 10,000 in population:

Rate-of-Suicide-per-10000-2005-to-2016.png
That is different than this.

Suicide rate: US saw 25% increase since 1999, CDC says - CNN

"Don't take life seriously because you won't come out of it alive"
- Warren Miller

You left out mass shootings. So much is going sideways these days. It's hard not to think we're amidst a major societal paradigm shift.
No we just hear about it more. Overall crime has been down. It’s just 20 years ago when a psycho shot up a small town in West nowhere, you didn’t hear about it. 24/7 media cycle and all

Agree on the sad news part.

Crime rates, homicides, violence of all types has been steadily dropping for decades. News coverage of it has not, though.

Suicides buck the trend of the many things that are getting noticeably better, though. Slight downward trend, but really pretty steady, sadly.

USA suicide rate per 10,000 in population:

Rate-of-Suicide-per-10000-2005-to-2016.png
World wide, things are getting much better and violent crimes have been dropping in the US for decades. The world is rising out of poverty, and that is a good thing.

That said, besides violent crime dropping and less teen pregnancy, quality of life is declining in the US population across the board. Economic inequality is rising dramatically as corporate profits soar, and wages have remained relatively stagnant for decades. Suicide and addiction are WAY up. Less people are getting married and more people are having fewer and fewer meaningful relationships. American's are consuming more, sleeping less, working more and getting deeper into debt. In short, American's are more isolated and unhappy than they've been for generations.

There is still hope. There are plenty of quality people in the US and more people are waking up by the day. Hopefully the numbers of people awakening reaches critical mass before it's too late.

Aside from sports, I don't watch much TV, so on my own I'd never know who this guy is. My girlfriend, however, loves his show and it had grown on me after all the times I've seen it with her. Anthony was the reason. There are plenty of copycat shows, but their hosts don't compare. He'll be missed. R.I.P., Anthony.

Regards,
Chris

World wide, things are getting much better and violent crimes have been dropping in the US for decades. The world is rising out of poverty, and that is a good thing.

That said, besides violent crime dropping and less teen pregnancy, quality of life is declining in the US population across the board. Economic inequality is rising dramatically as corporate profits soar, and wages have remained relatively stagnant for decades. Suicide and addiction are WAY up. Less people are getting married and more people are having fewer and fewer meaningful relationships. American's are consuming more, sleeping less, working more and getting deeper into debt. In short, American's are more isolated and unhappy than they've been for generations.

There is still hope. There are plenty of quality people in the US and more people are waking up by the day. Hopefully the numbers of people awakening reaches critical mass before it's too late.

Well that’s what happens when you are indoctrinated to believe that to get a decent job you need to go to college and assume massive debt to take a career that leads salaries haven’t increased in decades while the average costs of home/rent, utilities etc have increased. Meanwhile along with this debt and inflation it’s almkst necessary to have extra utilities like a pc and smartphone to function. It’s very unsustainable. Most young people look at the prospect of getting a house as added more to the debt they are frantically trying to pay off and a kid is another huge financial burden. Meanwhile because people are more connected than ever you have them never being “away from work”.

Aside from sports, I don't watch much TV, so on my own I'd never know who this guy is. My girlfriend, however, loves his show and it had grown on me after all the times I've seen it with her. Anthony was the reason. There are plenty of copycat shows, but their hosts don't compare. He'll be missed. R.I.P., Anthony.

Regards,
Chris
Agree. I like Bizarre Foods too. Beat Bobby Flay is ok but hes such a wennie. I always watch Chopped.

While also possessing a razor tongue, the thing that I liked about Bourdain was he brought intelligence, depth and thoughtfulness to his edge. Not like that loudmouth Gordon Ramsey.

In that case you left off people killing unborn babies....

Perhaps if we valued all life, through conception till natural death, we'd be better off as a people

And yes, I am against the death penalty

It's the soyboys.

A very sad for the family members and the fans. I personally have never heard of him before. I really don't watch modern TV except for some sports programing.
It's weird that yesterday my wife was watching of all obscure TV show then Lou Grant and was about a girl that committed suicide but they wanted to know about her and why it happened. The answer is never really given but we still are puzzled as to the why.

My daily reminder that there are many people on this board with whom I have absolutely nothing in common except for our love of the Patriots.

Didn't care for his politics, but I would never wish a crippling depression or a bad marriage on anyone. Peace.

Didn't care for his politics, but I would never wish a crippling depression or a bad marriage on anyone. Peace.
At first I thought you saying that a recently dead man's ex sounded like a whore was mean, nasty and vindictive. That was before I realized that you disagree with his politics. Well done, keep up the good work.

This thread is beginning its precipitous swirl down the ol’ ****ter.

At first I thought you saying that a recently dead man's ex sounded like a whore was mean, nasty and vindictive. That was before I realized that you disagree with his politics. Well done, keep up the good work.

A cold assessment maybe but I'm not dancing on anyone's grave.

I really enjoyed his show, though I stopped watching it years ago, just because I got tired of food shows.

So many people - celebrities included - live with darkness, addiction, and various other horrible issues every day. Always so sad when it comes to this, where someone feels there is truly no escape. I just watched the a show about Robin Williams the other day, and there is a a lot of overlap here- drug addiction, the pressures of fame, and need to constantly carry your brand (and everyone who is counting on you.)

Rest in peace, Anthony Bourdain.

Really hurts to read this news. I was also saddened to read about Kate Spade. Both were interesting and successful people in their fields. And I loved Bourdain’s show and politics.

I empathize with their families... they’ll have a tough road ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back