PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 2021 NFL QB Prospects List or 1st Round Discussion

I would love to get Mac Jones but I guess now he going to go in the top 10

The top 5 QBs are Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Jones, and Lance...good chance one of them falls to NE at 15. NE's will probably pick Waddle or mac Jones.

Many people questioned if it was Tua or the talent. It was a thing last year as well.

The thing is Burrow has exceptional pocket presence, mobility and accuracy. Tua was a great anticipatory passer with mobility and both have leadership qualities. People forget how much he won, how good he was. Jones doesn't have elite traits or potential. Can't create on his own outside the structure of a play. Has a little trouble with pressure. Not immediate deal breakers but he's not someone you want to reach on.

I agree with not reaching. But Burrow had Chase and Jefferson at WR too. I hope people keep discounting Mac on rankings due to his teammates.

What about Waddle then trade back up for Mac Jones?

Absolutely not on Waddle. I saw his tape. All he does is hit slants and post routes. We need an actual route runner who can move the chains. He's hugely overrated. Would be like drafting Chad Jackson which was another McDaniels draft special

Last edited:
I agree with not reaching. But Burrow had Chase and Jefferson at WR too. I hope people keep discounting Mac on rankings due to his teammates.
People were frothing at the mouth over Tua last year, trying to somehow figure out a way that we could trade up and snag him. Yet he did less than Jones with the same weapons plus Ruggs and Jeudy.

This is fantastic. Just like the Brady combine photo. Keep dropping Mac. Don't even defend yourself. Let people talk themselves out of Mac on their rankings board.

Week ago we were talking about drafting Jones in the second now we may even have to trade up.
As Jay Z said it was all good just a week ago.

I'm not sure I get your point, besides the fact that you love Jones? They both had elite targets but that doesn't really matter if you can evaluate and isolate a prospect. It's called scouting.

Also something I learned a while back, no serious evaluator is discounting Jones bc he has great targets around him. They're much more concerned with the OL and how a QB meshes with them rather than his targets. QB & OL marriage/chemistry is much more important. That's more of concern, how he'll deal with NFL athletes coming at him if he doesn't have a great line in front of him like he does now.

I'm not sure I get your point, besides the fact that you love Jones? They both had elite targets but that doesn't really matter if you can evaluate and isolate a prospect. It's called scouting.

Also something I learned a while back, no serious evaluator is discounting Jones bc he has great targets around him. They're much more concerned with the OL and how a QB meshes with them rather than his targets. QB & OL marriage/chemistry is much more important. That's more of concern, how he'll deal with NFL athletes coming at him if he doesn't have a great line in front of him like he does now.

He's not mobile but has excellent timing and rhythm and accuracy. I'm not sure his arm is worse than Tua's. I'm not going to go overboard on the kid. Would not spend a first rounder on him. I'm just saying I hope he falls, would be possibly worth as a value pick. If he doesn't fall, I think a bridge period with Brissett or Trubisky could work.

He's not mobile but has excellent timing and rhythm and accuracy. I'm not sure his arm is worse than Tua's. I'm not going to go overboard on the kid. Would not spend a first rounder on him. I'm just saying I hope he falls, would be possibly worth as a value pick. If he doesn't fall, I think a bridge period with Brissett or Trubisky could work.

I like Tru and Mariota as a bridge possibly Heinicke
This is all moot it Bill is still smitten over Jimmy G and reaqquires him which I would support.

Fields seems to do better in an offense with a running game and we have a decent running game.

but we must get more nfl quality players at the receiver and tight end positions or whatever qb we bring in will be hamstrung.

The top 5 QBs are Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Jones, and Lance...good chance one of them falls to NE at 15. NE's will probably pick Waddle or mac Jones.
My personal opinion is that Belichick should trade up for a quarterback that he sees as a QB with top 10 potential. It would not be a waste move up to prevent sitting and hoping that his player or plater doesn't get drafted before we pick.

Mac Jones out with an ankle. Excellent. Don't throw any more. Hope this kid drops.

Several of the draftniks and the commentator for the senior bowl said Jones’s arm strength was better than they thought from the tape.

The biggest knocks I have on Jones are his arm strength and the time it takes him to get through his reads post snap.

I am sure some team ahead of us would gobble him up, if the arm strength is legit, because all the coaches think they can speed up his reading of defenses through film and practice reps.

Been watching a bit of KJ Costello, such a hard prospect to get a read on. Haven't watched a whole lot of him yet, but even in the small sample size I've watched he's made every kind of NFL throw imaginable and the dude is super relaxed in the pocket, he just stands there, eyes downfield, regardless of the chaos happening around him. But he seems really slow to go through his progressions, and something about his throwing mechanics seem really off to me, albeit I am far from an expert.

Looking forward to watching more tape.
Yeah, I like the kid. Also, he displayed a lot of poise in that LSU game. Wasn’t perfect by any stretch; but he did make some damn good throws against soon to be NFL competition. Great size at 6’5 225. Sort of reminds me of Goff (size/frame/throwing mechanics). Wouldn’t mind taking a mid/late flier on him at all.

Several of the draftniks and the commentator for the senior bowl said Jones’s arm strength was better than they thought from the tape.

The biggest knocks I have on Jones are his arm strength and the time it takes him to get through his reads post snap.

I am sure some team ahead of us would gobble him up, if the arm strength is legit, because all the coaches think they can speed up his reading of defenses through film and practice reps.

77% completion percentage is insane, video game numbers. Tua and Burrow had all stars last year too. But I agree, I hope all those things allow Jones to drop. Keep dropping.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back