PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 2021 NFL QB Prospects List or 1st Round Discussion

There are only 2 qb’s in this draft worth drafting in the first round,

Lawrence will be off the board at number 1. Best college qb since elway.

fields should be off the board before we pick, but if he struggles against Clemson because he can’t read defenses or come off his first/second read, then he could drop out of the first round.

fields should be off the board before we pick, but if he struggles against Clemson because he can’t read defenses or come off his first/second read, then he could drop out of the first round.
perhaps "should" but "could" is very, very unlikely. Several teams would pick him before the gets to our pick. Yes, he might need more development than some think now.

I agee. There's 7 QB names being thrown around but maybe only 2 to possibly go in the first round. I think the best strategy here is go DE/DT/LB in the first round and see which QBs are left after that.

If Ridder declares he jumps over trask in the qb rankings right?

If Ridder declares he jumps over trask in the qb rankings right?

I think ridder had the most upside by far of the qb’s not named Lawrence.

he will need at least a year or so of development, but the reward could be worth the wait.

he has the size, arm strength, accuracy and mobility that qb’s need nowadays, he needs help with decision making and quickening his reads. Our coaching staff is the best in football to teach him that.

I agee. There's 7 QB names being thrown around but maybe only 2 to possibly go in the first round. I think the best strategy here is go DE/DT/LB in the first round and see which QBs are left after that.

i do not see any defensive tackles in this draft that are worthy of the 14th pick. But in round 2-3 there are some really good zero techniques available including Davis of Georgia, shelvin of lsu, and McNeil of nc state,

the one player in this draft I would love to fall to us is linebacker parsons. I doubt it happens, but he had tremendous instincts.

the best defensive end is paye of Michigan, but he might be off the board by the time we pick.

If I had my pick of all these guys after Lawrence, it would be Fields. Just the arm strength and ability to make throws from many different body positions. He has something extra special.

I can't say how well he reads defenses compared to the others, and I have doubts really that anyone could, given the huge difference in competition between OSU, BYU and Trey Lance's school. It's just a different level of football, and if you see Fields struggling more, it's because of the competition.

Yeah, I really think I do want Fields for the Patriots.

I'm going to move this here, and you can comment from that point on.

Hey guys. New to the forum. Gimme your thoughts on my article

Plenty of discussion about this vet vs that vet vs this draft prospect vs that draft prospect to be debated in this thread.

Regardless of « worth drafting », the trend has been that QBs move up quickly between JAN & APR. There’ll be plenty more than 2 QBs taken in the first round.

The phenomenon is one of the reasons I hate the idea of tanking. There are more Haskins than Murrays. Every single year.

i do not see any defensive tackles in this draft that are worthy of the 14th pick. But in round 2-3 there are some really good zero techniques available including Davis of Georgia, shelvin of lsu, and McNeil of nc state,

the one player in this draft I would love to fall to us is linebacker parsons. I doubt it happens, but he had tremendous instincts.

the best defensive end is paye of Michigan, but he might be off the board by the time we pick.

Parsons, Paye, Davis would all fill needs on the front7. Mac Jones keeps playing so well I don't think he's going to drop to mid round anymore. He was like 7th on lists 3 months ago and now may be drafted ahead of Trask or Wilson. Dang.

Watched more tape on weaver of Pittsburgh. He would seem to be a guy that would really appeal to bb. On running downs he can play on the edge and instantly be better than Simon or winovich.

on passing downs, he can slide inside and is sudden enough to generate a pass rush,

the bottom line is the top three receivers should all be off the board by the time we get in the clock.

bb’s ego means he can not draft offensive skill players so he should concentrate on defense in the first round!

Watched more tape on weaver of Pittsburgh. He would seem to be a guy that would really appeal to bb. On running downs he can play on the edge and instantly be better than Simon or winovich.

on passing downs, he can slide inside and is sudden enough to generate a pass rush,

the bottom line is the top three receivers should all be off the board by the time we get in the clock.

bb’s ego means he can not draft offensive skill players so he should concentrate on defense in the first round!

Have a tough time seeing someone like Wilson fall in the Pats lap in a scenario where they think highly of him. They likely wouldn’t be the only team to be in that boat. There are so many teams picking ahead that look like they could go QB, as well as potential surprise trade ups.

Then there’s the scenario of a QB who’s projected late 1st or early 2nd who they might fall in love with. Would Bill trade back and gamble they’d still be on the board, or remain steadfast and take them a little early? If it’s the latter, I’d think he should take them with where they currently stand.

It’s shaping up like there will be multiple players considered tops at their position on the board when the Pats ultimately pick. Fascinating stuff. Love reading everyone’s takes on here!

I hope Trask, Wilson, Lance all end up ranked higher than Mac Jones. Burrow had Jefferson last year and people didn't knock Burrow. Tua had multiple elite WRs and nobody took that from Tua. I think Mac Jones is a solid prospect who we can hopefully get after we go DEFENSE in the first round.

Mac Jones tonight and it's not even half time yet:

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
23/2632512.540

Is Mac Jones chunky? Or does he just have a huge Flack Jacket.

I would love to get Mac Jones but I guess now he going to go in the top 10

Been watching a bit of KJ Costello, such a hard prospect to get a read on. Haven't watched a whole lot of him yet, but even in the small sample size I've watched he's made every kind of NFL throw imaginable and the dude is super relaxed in the pocket, he just stands there, eyes downfield, regardless of the chaos happening around him. But he seems really slow to go through his progressions, and something about his throwing mechanics seem really off to me, albeit I am far from an expert.

Looking forward to watching more tape.

I hope Trask, Wilson, Lance all end up ranked higher than Mac Jones. Burrow had Jefferson last year and people didn't knock Burrow. Tua had multiple elite WRs and nobody took that from Tua. I think Mac Jones is a solid prospect who we can hopefully get after we go DEFENSE in the first round.
Many people questioned if it was Tua or the talent. It was a thing last year as well.

The thing is Burrow has exceptional pocket presence, mobility and accuracy. Tua was a great anticipatory passer with mobility and both have leadership qualities. People forget how much he won, how good he was. Jones doesn't have elite traits or potential. Can't create on his own outside the structure of a play. Has a little trouble with pressure. Not immediate deal breakers but he's not someone you want to reach on.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back