PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 2021 NFL QB Prospects List or 1st Round Discussion

No mention of Pitts so far in this QB/1stRnd discussion thread, which is interesting because it seems he's the consensus pick for the Pats in a lot of mock drafts out there. After watching the game last night, I feel pretty torn. On the one hand, he's pretty light for his height, blocking is a serious work in progress, BB just picked 2 TEs in the last draft, and there are needs at QB and Defense, but on the other hand the thought of him, a hopefully healthy Edelman, Byrd(FA), Meyers, and (can't believe I'm frickin' saying this) Harry out there is pretty exciting.

Devonta Smith's had an absolutely incredible season, but after watching him, he looks really really skinny - like much lower BMI than Randy Moss even when he got to the league at 6'4"/198lbs skinny. It looks like he's going to get throttled at the next level, but then again, a similar small build player like Marvin Harrison did aight.
Ruggs and jeudy have had disappointing starts to their career. Hope smith’s better.

Ruggs and jeudy have had disappointing starts to their career. Hope smith’s better.
to be fair the broncos qb play is inconsistent as hell and the raiders have got some decent weapons there

IDL is probably the weakest position overall. DE is more depth than top heavy talent. The kid from Bama might sneak in the 1st but I doubt anyone else does tbh. And if you're talking about Davis from UG, he'll go closer to round 3-4 than 1 or 2.

Paye is the one guy that stands out for us early on. Especially if he performs anywhere close to expectations put out. Dude could have a memorable combine ... 3C reported at 6.37 weighing around 270. Bill might explode. Few other Michigan guys that should get a look from us as well.

I would imagine Paye is going to go in the top 10...

My favorite at 15 to 18 would be 6-4 260 Zaven Collins, a versatile front 7 rusher, LB out of Tulsa. He fits the Patriots more aggressive scheme and would be able to fill in wherever needed on the edge or at LB. With Hightower coming back, this guy would be a great fit with the young guns who stepped up in 2020. He played safety and CB in high school.

He seems like Van Noy and Jamie Collins spliced into one.

Devonta Smith's had an absolutely incredible season, but after watching him, he looks really really skinny - like much lower BMI than Randy Moss even when he got to the league at 6'4"/198lbs skinny. It looks like he's going to get throttled at the next level, but then again, a similar small build player like Marvin Harrison did aight.

I think this is a valid point, someone reported that smith weighed 165 pounds. That is a recipe for long stays in the intensive care unit for an nfl receiver.

there are 11 killers on defense looking to be the guy to blow him up.

and for all the jeudy hype pre draft, he got blown up early in the season in a bad throw and he has not been the same since.

ruggs on the other hand, relied on pure speed in college. Unfortunately in the nfl, there are a lot of fast guys.

I think this is a valid point, someone reported that smith weighed 165 pounds. That is a recipe for long stays in the intensive care unit for an nfl receiver.

and for all the jeudy hype pre draft, he got blown up early in the season in a bad throw and he has not been the same since.

ruggs on the other hand, relied on pure speed in college. Unfortunately in the nfl, there are a lot of fast guys.

Let’s see how they do in their sophomore years. I was a big jeudy guy. He always did well in big games.

Let’s see how they do in their sophomore years. I was a big jeudy guy. He always did well in big games.

after a year in a pro strength and conditioning program, I expect jeudy to improve a lot, if the qb play improves.

Side note: one of my favorite non Pats players was Brandon Banks for WAS not because he was anywhere near the vicinity of good, but because he was pretty much my size. The thought of someone that small surviving in the NFL for more than a play blows my mind.

I would imagine Paye is going to go in the top 10...
Let's bring the band back together!

Let's bring the band back together!

if paye or the linebacker from pen state who opted out are on the board when we pick, we need to jump on that!

the only way we should pass on them is if wide receiver chase is on the board when we pick!

We gave up 251 rushing yards when Miami had the worst rushing offense in the league. We have to go DT or DE with our first draft pick

Last edited:

Very odd comment. Jeudy 660 yards in 13 games is good for a rookie WR. And playing with a bad QB in Denver.

I see a potential run on QB's in the first round, of which I think most will be huge busts. And I might add Lawrence to that because if he goes to the Jets he's going to get ruined by horrible team/management. Remember when Darnold was hailed as the best "sure thing", now people are wondering if he'll get a 2nd chance anywhere. It's all dependent on system matches, and surrounding talent. I doubt BB picks a QB in the first - unless he pulls a blockbuster and goes up to get Lawrence or Fields. Even so, I'd rather trade the 1st round pick in a deal for a legit vet QB.

Kyle Pitts, please. Sure, he needs some work on his blocking but from what I’ve read, he’s a very hard worker and has been working on it. He also has a huge frame where he can build lots of muscle. In my opinion, he should not get past you if he’s still there mid first round. The guy is a freak.

I see a potential run on QB's in the first round, of which I think most will be huge busts. And I might add Lawrence to that because if he goes to the Jets he's going to get ruined by horrible team/management. Remember when Darnold was hailed as the best "sure thing", now people are wondering if he'll get a 2nd chance anywhere. It's all dependent on system matches, and surrounding talent. I doubt BB picks a QB in the first - unless he pulls a blockbuster and goes up to get Lawrence or Fields. Even so, I'd rather trade the 1st round pick in a deal for a legit vet QB.
I think one of Wilson, Jones or Trask could be available for the Pats. I think all 3 wind up being good NFL QBs.

Mac Jones just put up 5 TDs in a thrilling SEC championship win. I hope he hasn't raised his draft profile too much and that Wilson and Trask are still ranked higher than him. Love the opportunity to get this kid as 6th or 7th QB off the board and develop for a year.

I've changed my perspective on the QB issue. Realistically BB has 3-5 years left as head coach, so he won't want to spend that time perfecting a QB from the draft. Not saying he won't draft one at some point but it will be lower, maybe a Newman or someone in that range. I see him using that cap money to pay a QB that he can win with immediately. So maybe Stafford or Jimmy G, Mariota, Carr, Bridgewater or maybe he thinks Rosen has value, and come to camp with one of them, Stidham and a draft pick. I think he will go heavy defense in the draft. Remaining cap money will go to Andrews, a WR and a big body. I don't think he will pay big bucks for a receiver. People reference him all in 2007 but Welker was not a big name and Moss was an unusual opportunity. Maybe Godwin if he doesn't break the bank. More likely a Scotty Miller type. I'm not down on the offense as a whole. I think OL will be fine, RB's fine, WR's we have now plus one better and the offense is fine. Special teams will remain good. So its QB and fix the defense. We could really use Hightower back but I'm pessimistic. I'm still drinking that kool aid.

I've changed my perspective on the QB issue. Realistically BB has 3-5 years left as head coach, so he won't want to spend that time perfecting a QB from the draft. Not saying he won't draft one at some point but it will be lower, maybe a Newman or someone in that range. I see him using that cap money to pay a QB that he can win with immediately. So maybe Stafford or Jimmy G, Mariota, Carr, Bridgewater or maybe he thinks Rosen has value, and come to camp with one of them, Stidham and a draft pick. I think he will go heavy defense in the draft. Remaining cap money will go to Andrews, a WR and a big body. I don't think he will pay big bucks for a receiver. People reference him all in 2007 but Welker was not a big name and Moss was an unusual opportunity. Maybe Godwin if he doesn't break the bank. More likely a Scotty Miller type. I'm not down on the offense as a whole. I think OL will be fine, RB's fine, WR's we have now plus one better and the offense is fine. Special teams will remain good. So its QB and fix the defense. We could really use Hightower back but I'm pessimistic. I'm still drinking that kool aid.

I don’t think the 49ers will let go of jimmy g. They’re ready to win now. I think the bucs will resign godwin. In terms of QB i would like to see them trade up for lance or wilson if they’re closer. Don’t know want stafford. That contract.

How do you guys feel about going after Pitts for TE in the 1st round and Desmond Ridder in the second round? Dont know much about Ridder so I would like to hear some opinions from those of you who has watched him. I appreciate it greatly.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back