PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 2021 NFL QB Prospects List or 1st Round Discussion

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score

Apparently the top3 are Lawrence, Fields, and Lance.

The backup QB at Clemson just had a great game while Lawrence was out with covid. So Lawrence was helped by the system, of course.

Parcells used to look for QBs who proved production within major conferences. But then he randomly found Romo. Brady was hidden due to a platoon in Michigan but performed in bowl games. Might there be a sleeper in this draft who can develop with some hard work and a chip on their shoulder ?

Given what we are good at and bad at, I have a lot more faith if we spend our 1st rounder at DE, DT, LB, or OLine. We have good history finding good players here in the draft. Avoid wasting our first rounder on a WR or TE or QB, get via trade or free agency; have absolutely zero trust in any talent evaluation for high draft picks that remotely involves Josh McDaniels.

Last edited:

The backup QB at Clemson just had a great game while Lawrence was out with covid. So Lawrence was helped by the system, of course.

Parcells used to look for QBs who proved production within major conferences. But then he randomly found Romo. Brady was hidden due to a platoon in Michigan but performed in bowl games. Might there be a sleeper in this draft who can develop with some hard work and a chip on their shoulder ?
Lol. Nah DJU is a star. It ain’t the system.

Who are these guys going to throw too? We drafted a bunch of squids at WR and TE

11TDs to 9 INT last year is concerning. But looks like he's on a better track this year.

Some extra info/context:
Does anyone know about this guy? C'mon Uptown? Or are you lopping softballs at me?

I like his awareness, feel & mobility in the pocket but he could clean up a few things and has actually. He's got better at not turning his back to the defense in pocket. Doesn't fall back as deep. He has a little hero ball in him but it's a good/bad thing and has improved.

He's been very efficient deep, short and intermediate. Showing good touch outside the numbers, pylon passes, deep and out routes.

One thing that always stood out and bugged me was the fact that Stidham had a hard time creating outside the confines of Gus's offense. The music stopped. Not the case with Wilson. He's a creator. Can work off script and has played great within a new & improved offense. Wilson is impressive in how creative he is sometimes. Shows good patience, small stuff that leads to big throws. Sets up his passes on move with creative footwork. Has good mechanics still working on putting it all together. You can tell he's still trying to tie in feet, hips & release together. Can switch up his arm angles and speed/arc.

Good whip. Flick of wrist for 40-50. Plenty of strength and velocity not a super cannon but more than good enough and strength can improve. Can reach far hash to boundaries. Drop it in a bucket. Live arm. Accurate. Touch. Placement.

Supposedly a film nut. Has been known watch himself to improve and his opponents. Other QB's. Has the body, arm, looks. Seemingly work ethic and drive.

Love his confidence and speed he plays with. I think you can do a lot with him. Tempo. Misdirection. I think he fits in a few different systems. Can run a few different things.

Played hurt last year. Will be 22 by the start of next season so he could easily sit if you wanted to put together a better situation than you might have or want him to watch a vet. Age matters a little and he still has a year imo. I want my QB to be taking over by 24 so hes on a good pace. I think he could play as long as you have a OL and creative offense.

Hes really made the most of this year. Really ceased the moment so far. I know some teams will love him.

I think I might have been the first to bring up Lawrence and Fields years ago and mentioned they're closer than most think. I really think NFL teams will see it that way as well. Fields has been dynamite even though Lawrence has been something we've never seen before. Some teams might prefer Fields. Some teams might prefer Lance or Wilson. Than you have guys like Ridder. Jurkovec and others. It could be a great class. If I'm a QB with high stock and eligible. I'm coming out. Uncertainty will still remain and teams always want QB's.

Plus better for us!

*Edit*
BYU has a few OL'm that could end up here. They've been great this year from T to T. I could see us with any of them.

11TDs to 9 INT last year is concerning. But looks like he's on a better track this year.
Had several injuries. Was coming off a shoulder injury from his freshman season, then broke his wrist last year as a sophomore. Look at his stats his freshman year and this year. Indicative of his true talent.

Wilson looks just like Mahomes in terms of how he plays. If we can get the same production, I'd happily take him.

EDIT: The more I watch, he's got a lot of Kyler in his game, too. In terms of size, he's closer to Mahomes but not quite as big. I like what I see.

Carson Strong (Nevada) and Mac Jones (Bama) are possible first rounders too. It's strong at the top and seems deep too.

Wilson looks just like Mahomes in terms of how he plays. If we can get the same production, I'd happily take him.

EDIT: The more I watch, he's got a lot of Kyler in his game, too. In terms of size, he's closer to Mahomes but not quite as big. I like what I see.

Any notable wins against big name teams ?

Any notable wins against big name teams ?
BYU has a crazy easy schedule this year. You're going to have to go on traits. There won't be big games for him. However he is said to be very competitive and loves film work - so they say.

Fields reminds me of Haskins, he is extremely overrated and hard to project in a structured nfl offense.

normally I would doubt bb would have lance on the draft board, but then bb did draft Duggar so maybe he is on our draft board.

It’s a crapshoot. In the last 21 years 16 QBs were drafted #1 overall. They were the can’t miss franchise changer. The only one to win a SB was Eli Manning.

Fields reminds me of Haskins, he is extremely overrated and hard to project in a structured nfl offense.

normally I would doubt bb would have lance on the draft board, but then bb did draft Duggar so maybe he is on our draft board.
Fields is nothing like Haskins. Not in any way on or off the field.
That said Fields is a great QB in Ohio states system, which Haskins wasn’t a really good fit for but if you want field to be your QB you have to run a Baltimore or Arizona offense.

It’s a crapshoot. In the last 21 years 16 QBs were drafted #1 overall. They were the can’t miss franchise changer. The only one to win a SB was Eli Manning.

That's why I don't think Lawrence is some magical savior. Brady himself was the 7th QB taken. I think a lot of it is development and hard work after being drafted. No QB taken is even half of what they need to become without a ton of hard work and improvement. Andrew Luck was supposed to be a sure thing too...

If they land one or two in the draft I’d be ecstatic to have either. However if we don’t, I’d rather draft the best wr available and make a trade back up into the late first or early second to get the qb. However there Are also two good first round te’s available this upcoming draft as well. We got holes.

if you want field to be your QB you have to run a Baltimore or Arizona offense.

Not true. Fields is a passer who can run not the other way around. He was last year and this year in two games is completing 87.4% while throwing downfield plenty. Not to say he's as good as this future hall of famer but he's more Russell Wilson than Lamar Jackson.

Any idea about the kid from BYU? Also Mac Jones. Any chance he could come out.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back