PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Options To Spend $30M In Cap (after Amendola adjustment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that there was money included for rookies in the 30m available, only that it isn't going to cost "6 million dollars."

If I worded myself poorly, I apologize. Thanks for the clarification, and also for keeping us all well informed with these matters.

I knew what you meant. I was just trying to head off the "WTF are you talking about? We've got X rookies blah blah blah." posts. :)

As good as Dante Scarnecchia is, you can't expect the 96th player selected in a draft to be a quality starting left tackle. If not then you are drafting a LT a year from now and counting on that rookie to protect your quarterback's blind side.

This is a big key, and it's also in question if Waddle is a good enough swing tackle for the Pats to feel good about.

We can nitpick about the exact money, but I think we can all agree that falls into the category of "sh!t load" and start from there. ;). So we have another 4 months of Free Agency before TC, and just over one month before the draft to get to the 90 man roster, so there will be a LOT of signings left to come.

This period of FA that comes after the signing frenzy of the first week, is usually when BB does his best work. Money should be of no object in any future signing. So there shouldn't be any hurry to get anyone else done unless there is competition for their services

Mangold - Is perhaps the only signing I'd like to see happen at this point. If healthy he WOULD be an upgrade over Andrews. I'm not sure why he wasn't snapped up in that run on offensive linemen early in FA. He was an all pro as recently as 2015. He could be one of those guys who is going to have to wait until after the draft to get a deal.

Revis - I would actually consider bringing him back IF Butler isn't here, and IF we didn't draft a CB who could help right aways, and IF BB is convinced Revis would prepare for this season like his legacy depended on it. IF all those circumstances came together then he'd be a solid Ryan placement on a team without Butler. He would allow the young CB's to continue to develop, add depth, and a wealth of knowledge and experience, He also knows the system and culture.

Of course he'd have to really want to come back and that might not be what he has in mind. He busted his ass in 2014, but clearly he's been in cruise control the last 2 seasons, so another year in the Patriot Way grind, might not be what he wants to put up with. So, even if Butler goes, Revis to the Pats might be a moot point.

Now that Hightower is back, I am happy with our ILB's McClellin is on the cheap for another 2 years (IIRC) and Van Noy for another year. Both have some position flexibility. I would be surprised if we didn't see at least some improvement from both these guys. They aren't guys who get you excited, but were both useful and dependable players. Roberts on the other hand, I really liked. He was very effective against the run already, so I look to see his coverage skills to improve. I think he'll prove to be an effective Hightower back up.

The skill I'd really would like to add to our defense is at the hyprid LB spot. Hassan Riddick might be someone who could fill that in the draft, but I think we'd have to get that #12 pick to get him.

I'm not excited about any of the RB FA's so bringing back LGB is fine with me, and lets see if he beats out the competition again like he did last season.

BTW- I wonder what James White's trade value would be right now. Whatever it is, it is never going to get higher. If we could add a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a superbowl hero it would be a great value. As good a season as he had, I think between Burkhead, Lewis, and Foster, we could cover his production. I really want to see Foster get a real shot in preseason to make the team. Hey, a man has a right to protect his binky. ;)

Last edited:
This is a big key, and it's also in question if Waddle is a good enough swing tackle for the Pats to feel good about.
I definitely agree. Waddle could be improving or he could be our OL version of Joe Vellano, meaning someone who won the role but against limited competition, and the level of talent was improved upon in the next season.

We still may sign Floyd, giving us six WRs after game four (or so). I haven't heard anything definitively ruling Floyd out. How much would he cost, I have no idea.

The remaining money is affected by BB true intentions on franchising either Butler or Garappolo (I think neither). I'd like to see us lower Brady's future cap hit and resign Solder. I also would love to acquire Mangold.

Too many variables, after the Draft we'll have a better idea.
I can't see Floyd signing here.
There is nowhere for him to play.

Edelman, Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell would all be ahead if him (Mitchell being the question mark but it's close enough that you go with the guy who can develop over the guy who could be a six pack away from jail).

We can nitpick about the exact money, but I think we can all agree that falls into the category of "sh!t load" and start from there. ;). So we have another 4 months of Free Agency before TC, and just over one month before the draft to get to the 90 man roster, so there will be a LOT of signings left to come.

This period of FA that comes after the signing frenzy of the first week, is usually when BB does his best work. Money should be of no object in any future signing. So there shouldn't be any hurry to get anyone else done unless there is competition for their services

Mangold - Is perhaps the only signing I'd like to see happen at this point. If healthy he WOULD be an upgrade over Andrews. I'm not sure why he wasn't snapped up in that run on offensive linemen early in FA. He was an all pro as recently as 2015. He could be one of those guys who is going to have to wait until after the draft to get a deal.

Revis - I would actually consider bringing him back IF Butler isn't here, and IF we didn't draft a CB who could help right aways, and IF BB is convinced Revis would prepare for this season like his legacy depended on it. IF all those circumstances came together then he'd be a solid Ryan placement on a team without Butler. He would allow the young CB's to continue to develop, add depth, and a wealth of knowledge and experience, He also knows the system and culture.

Of course he'd have to really want to come back and that might not be what he has in mind. He busted his ass in 2014, but clearly he's been in cruise control the last 2 seasons, so another year in the Patriot Way grind, might not be what he wants to put up with. So, even if Butler goes, Revis to the Pats might be a moot point.

Now that Hightower is back, I am happy with our ILB's McClelland is on the cheap for another 2 years (IIRC) and Van Noy for another year. Both have some position flexibility. I would be surprised if we didn't see at least some improvement from both these guys. They aren't guys who get you excited, but were both useful and dependable players. Roberts on the other hand, I really liked. He was very effective against the run already, so I look to see his coverage skills to improve. I think he'll prove to be an effective Hightower back up.

The skill I'd really would like to add to our defense is at the hyprid LB spot. Hassan Riddick might be someone who could fill that in the draft, but I think we'd have to get that #12 pick to get him.

I'm not excited about any of the RB FA's so bringing back LGB is fine with me, and lets see if he beats out the competition again like he did last season.

BTW- I wonder what James White's trade value would be right now. Whatever it is, it is never going to get higher. If we could add a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a superbowl hero it would be a great value. As good a season as he had, I think between Berkhead, Lewis, and Foster, we could cover his production. I really want to see Foster get a real shot in preseason to make the team. Hey, a man has a right to protect his binky. ;)
God you hate white. Even an almost MVP performance in the SB and you are ready to hand his job over to an udfa who couldn't get in the field this year and consider it no loss.
If white wasn't in the team and foster was in his place we would not have won that SB.

Edelman cooks hogan Mitchell would all be ahead if him (Mitchell being the question mark but it's close enough that you goveuth the guy who can develop over the guy who could be a six pack away from jail).

I am hoping we grab a tight end in the draft. We need depth in some areas of the offense but the depth at tackle concerns me a little. Are the backups decent

I have just one nitpick. When discussing Revis, you indicated that a factor is whether a draftee corner could be counted on to help right away. IMHO, we shouldn't EXPECT a corner to help right away, certainly not one picked after the middle of the first round. Should we expect last year's highly touted draftee to be a major factor? IMHO, if we lose Butler, we WILL be bringing in a corner or two or more to compete with Coleman and the Jones boys for jobs.

Now that Hightower is back, I am happy with our ILB's McClelland is on the cheap for another 2 years (IIRC) and Van Noy for another year. Both have some position flexibility. I would be surprised if we didn't see at least some improvement from both these guys. They aren't guys who get you excited, but were both useful and dependable players. Roberts on the other hand, I really liked. He was very effective against the run already, so I look to see his coverage skills to improve. I think he'll prove to be an effective Hightower back up.

BTW- I wonder what James White's trade value would be right now. Whatever it is, it is never going to get higher. If we could add a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a superbowl hero it would be a great value. As good a season as he had, I think between Berkhead, Lewis, and Foster, we could cover his production. I really want to see Foster get a real shot in preseason to make the team. Hey, a man has a right to protect his binky. ;)

Perhaps it's just me but to my observable eye, as they became more comfortable in the system, both Van Noy and McClellin looked markedly improved as the season progressed. It's not to say the team can't add depth at Linebacker as it most certainly can but I'm expecting all three to improve this season. We also need to acknowledge Chung comes down as a in-the-box SS so that area looks reasonably well covered. Mind you and as you mention, signing Hightower was the big one. The fact that he's back helps the front 7 tremendously.

I foresee the Patriots getting very quiet until the week of the draft. They are waiting out the Butler/Garoppolo situations.

The way I see it, the Patriots are looking long term and know they can afford to pay one but not both. They prefer to keep Garoppolo as he is a known commodity, but are holding out to see what kind of value they could get for him. The Patriots, Butler and the Saints have an agreement in principal, and Butler will sign his tender on April 23. There will be no news until the draft. If Garoppolo is still on the team by the start of round 2, Butler will be traded for the Saints second rounded plus a day 3 pick, and the Patriots will try to negotiate a bridge contract with Garoppolo. If Garoppolo is traded, then the Pats will sign Butler to a deal in the 4yr/$44M range prior to the start of the season.

Perhaps it's just me but to my observable eye, as they became more comfortable in the system, both Van Noy and McClellin looked markedly improved as the season progressed. It's not to say the team can't add depth at Linebacker as it most certainly can but I'm expecting all three to improve this season. We also need to acknowledge Chung comes down as a in-the-box SS so that area looks reasonably well covered. Mind you and as you mention, signing Hightower was the big one. The fact that he's back helps the front 7 tremendously.

I agree that the linebackers we have are solid. I also agree that we need a young linebacker for the future, especially given the likelihood that Hightower will not be 100% healthy for the entire season and next.

Edelman, Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell would all be ahead if him (Mitchell being the question mark but it's close enough that you go with the guy who can develop over the guy who could be a six pack away from jail).

You forget that BB is a situational Coach. He tailors his game plans to exploit opponents weaknesses. He now has Flankers and slot receivers and TEs but is still minimal in Big Split Ends, although Mitchell is now creditable in that role.

Signing Floyd offers the prospect of a good not great player, in that role and also as a Hernandez type receiving TE who can and will block downfield.

I definitely agree. Waddle could be improving or he could be our OL version of Joe Vellano, meaning someone who won the role but against limited competition, and the level of talent was improved upon in the next season.

Waddle is another year removed from injury and the Lions really liked him pre-injury.

Maybe the Pats think he has value moving forward.

You forget that BB is a situational Coach. He tailors his game plans to exploit opponents weaknesses. He now has Flankers and slot receivers and TEs but is still minimal in Bid Split Ends, although Mitchell is now creditable in that role.

Signing Floyd offers the prospect of a good not great player, in that role and also as a Hernandez type receiving TE who can and will block downfield.

Floyd would likely not be active unless there were two injuries among receivers.

We often go into the season with 4 healthy non-rookie receivers plus Slater. We certainly can carry a 5th if our punt returner is a WR.

Unless one of the top 4 injured, I cannot see carrying Floyd. I suppose that he could be carried as injury insurance if Edelman is our punt returner (but only if Amendola isn't here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes