PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I am arguing that a better throw gets us the first down. Not sure how you are still not getting this.
The throw was good enough to get the first down, the player dropped it. A drop isn’t a first down on a perfect throw.

What I found so dismaying in this loss was that the Patriots WRs could not get open. Time and again Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the the WR could not get separation. It is disgraceful that the Patriots spent so much money on upgrading the team, but could not find a true number one WR. The defense was magnificent, but the anemic offense let them down.

It's kinda hard to get separation when the Dolphins defender is hanging onto your arm like Jason McCourty did to Meyers during one play. He was literally pulling down his right arm and using that leverage to reach around to knock down the pass. I watched a little of the Steelers/Bills game and they let a lot of DPI go in that one too. I guess the refs plan to let those clutch & grab plays go this year. If that's the case, which team will emulate the 2013 Seahawks and just grab every receiver at every snap?

That throw wasn't nearly good enough, not by a dam sight.
Hit him in both hands. You cannot excuse a receiver for not catching a pass that hits him in the hands. 100% of the time that catch needs to be made.

No it wasn't. Mac would tell you that himself. That is where we disagree.
Im sure he would tell you he can make a better throw, are you telling me Meyers wouldn’t tell you he should have caught it?

Good read by Lazar(spelled correctly) about the game last night's game:

1. Pats QB Mac Jones Impresses in NFL Debut​

Despite the final score, Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones was impressive in his first career start. Jones finished the game with a 68.6 QBR and a +7.7 completion percentage over expected, high marks across the board.

Hmmm....
From 2021 NFL Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN
8. Mac Jones QBR 75.1
From NFL Football Player Stats & Stats Leaders - QB Rating
13. Mac Jones QB Rating 102.6

Where is Lazar getting his 68.6 number?

how can anyone be encouraged by the defense? they allowed TDs on the opening game drive, the opening 2d half drive and couldn't get the ball back with Miami 1st and 14 from their 5 with 3:30 left and 3 timeouts. are the TD drives the result of Bill's farcical "let's play vanilla D, see what they're doing and adjust" philosophy? just like 2019 (last 8 games plus the playoff embarrassment) and 2020 the defense fails more often than not when they MUST make a stop....

how can anyone be encouraged by the defense? they allowed TDs on the opening game drive, the opening 2d half drive and couldn't get the ball back with Miami 1st and 14 from their 5 with 3:30 left and 3 timeouts. are the TD drives the result of Bill's farcical "let's play vanilla D, see what they're doing and adjust" philosophy? just like 2019 (last 8 games plus the playoff embarrassment) and 2020 the defense fails more often than not when they MUST make a stop....
They only allowed two scoring drives. If you give up 17 points a game you're not losing football games, unless you have an anemic offense.

The defense has room for improvement but I'm not sure how you can be this doom and gloom over its performance yesterday.

QBR is different from passer rating, and I think sites have their own calculations on it. Like taking into account what pass is catchable or not and difficulty of the throw etc
I'm fairly sure ESPN invented QBR about a decade ago to create a new metric which made Brady look worse and Peyton look better.

Fyi - take the L already. You are literally the only person making the ridiculous case that the play was on Meyers and not Mac.
Receivers should catch balls that hit them in the hands. Always.

This pass and the wheel route to James White were two of my favorite passes that Mac threw against the Dolphins....if anyone has that pass, please post.

The play to Bourne that got called back was excellent too.

Attachments

• A29C139C-B18B-449D-9384-CF0D08950B19.png
    A29C139C-B18B-449D-9384-CF0D08950B19.png
    7 MB · Views: 9
I think the Patriots were out coached, based on Dolphin’s first drives in first and second half. Dolphins came out in the first and second half, they. executed their plays and the Patriots were not able to adjust during the drives.

Good teams find ways to win and bad teams find a way to lose. Patriots are headed in the right direction to becoming a good team but they fell short in week 1.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back