PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I think the Patriots were out coached, based on Dolphin’s first drives in first and second half. Dolphins came out in the first and second half, they. executed their plays and the Patriots were not able to adjust during the drives.

Good teams find ways to win and bad teams find a way to lose. Patriots are headed in the right direction to becoming a good team but they fell short in week 1.
That doesn’t really mean they got out-coached, though. I’m one of the first guys who will be critical of BB, win or lose. But the Patriots just about dominated Miami in every single statistical category. Self-inflicted errors like fumbling the ball and 85 yards of penalties doomed them.

Just 1 game but it was in the division and every game matters even in September this game could be the difference. Can't lose next game against the Jetsies
I was grimacing when I saw they opened with Miami at home. I wish the first one had been in Miami, where a loss would be more palatable.

Still, they had that game won and penalty and fumbled it away.

And I have to say, I agree with DKF on one thing: their red zone offense is pathetic, as it was last year nad even the year before, when the only play that ever worked was the little out to Edelman. They simply WILL NOT challenge with throws in the end zone.

Field goals will not win in the NFL.

That doesn’t really mean they got out-coached, though. I’m one of the first guys who will be critical of BB, win or lose. But the Patriots just about dominated Miami in every single statistical category. Self-inflicted errors like fumbling the ball and 85 yards of penalties doomed them.
First drive/last drive/first drive is not a product of coaching and preparedness?

Miami's 17 points came from those 3 drives.

They combined for 73 yards. Roughly 37 yards each. So yes, I’d like to get more than 37 yards and good blocking from guys that are averaging $12m a year.
Then throw the ball to them more. Not rocket science. Of course, if they do that, you'll complain that Bourne and Agholor are making a lot of money and not making a lot of catches.

Mac is going to spread it around - that's his schtick, that's his strength.
And they want to be a running team.

If all you're looking at is total yards, then you're looking at the wrong team.

Smith and Henry did everything asked of them.

First drive/last drive/first drive is not a product of coaching and preparedness?

Every drive is a product of coaching and preparedness

The more i think about that damn game. The more sick to my stomach, i get. The fumbles and flag after flag after flag. The defense getting steam rolled on the first drive of the game and third quarter was brutal. And then they can't get a stop when it mattered the most with three plus left in the game. Other than mac. It's hard to feel good about anything they did.

Miami’s first drive, the Patriots had them in 3rd and 3 in their own territory. It wasn’t coaching that made our DTs open like the Red Sea.

First drive of the second half, they had them in 3rd and 8. Cover-1 with the safety shaded to Waddle’s side. That’s one you can put on coaching. You’d ultimately want to go into Cover-2 or zone on that play. Defense still had the opportunity to stop them from there, though.

I’m not sure how pointing out these three drives proves the Patriots got out-coached, though. Especially considering the penalties and fumbles.

On a slightly different subject: has anyone (for example, on local NE radio) heard an update on the Trent Brown injury? Because of his ability to play both LT and RT IMHO he is one of the most important cogs in the OL.

Miami’s first drive, the Patriots had them in 3rd and 3 in their own territory. It wasn’t coaching that made our DTs open like the Red Sea.

First drive of the second half, they had them in 3rd and 8. Cover-1 with the safety shaded to Waddle’s side. That’s one you can put on coaching. You’d ultimately want to go into Cover-2 or zone on that play. Defense still had the opportunity to stop them from there, though.

I’m not sure how pointing out these three drives proves the Patriots got out-coached, though. Especially considering the penalties and fumbles.

The first two lines are supposed to be the shutdown defense of a blown drive? A 3rd and 3 that got converted?

Are you going FB*#$@$"&# on us?

The first two lines are supposed to be the shutdown defense of a blown drive? A 3rd and 3 that got converted?

Are you going FB*#$@$"&# on us?
Yeah, but you’re defending a stance that the team got out-coached the entire game while referencing 3 drives to buttress that stance. At the same time, you’re ignoring the fact that the team who supposedly got out-coached was driving for the score and about to take the lead before Harris fumbled. That’s not on coaching. If you’d like to argue that they got out-coached on those 3 drives, I’ll be willing to hear that argument. But that’s not proof-positive that they lost the game because they got out-coached.

Great tool the NFL publishes now for every game. Really good statistical breakdown that adds much more context.

Thank you.

This is evidence to validate what I saw. In the play by play look at how many times it says Shotgun M.Jones, especially in the 4th quarter. crazy. Disgusting. The Pats spent a boatload of money but this oc has no idea how to use 2 TEs. The guy does the same thing no matter what!!!

Secondly, it's becoming so obvious/easy on how to stop this oc. DCs playing chess against our checkers-playing OC. When it's 11 personnel it's a pass, unleash full pass rush personnel and play-calls, don't have to worry about runs. When it's 12 personnel it's a run, the oc thinks of TEs as basically bodies for blocking.

Yeah, but you’re defending a stance that the team got out-coached the entire game while referencing 3 drives to buttress that stance. At the same time, you’re ignoring the fact that the team who supposedly got out-coached was driving for the score and about to take the lead before Harris fumbled. That’s not on coaching. If you’d like to argue that they got out-coached on those 3 drives, I’ll be willing to hear that argument. But that’s not proof-positive that they lost the game because they got out-coached.
No, I'm pointing out the the most coached drives of any football game are the first and last of the halves, and that those drives are where the Dolphins scored their points. I wasn't going to point to the whole game, because I considered that to be patently obvious. Or, to put it another way:

"OMG! The Bucs had 11 penalties and 4 turnovers! Bruce Arians sucks! That team has no coach!" has magically morphed into "I know that the team got scored on in all 3 coaching drives, and I know they had 4 fumbles and 8 penalties, but that's on the players, not the coaches!".

You're being that guy.

Then throw the ball to them more. Not rocket science. Of course, if they do that, you'll complain that Bourne and Agholor are making a lot of money and not making a lot of catches.

Mac is going to spread it around - that's his schtick, that's his strength.
And they want to be a running team.

If all you're looking at is total yards, then you're looking at the wrong team.

Smith and Henry did everything asked of them.

Not really, Jonnu also put the ball on the ground but fortunate someone was there to recover. Are we not asking them to protect the ball? As for the rest I addressed that pages back to another replier.

Here were the Patriots defensive snap counts:

E_KEeP2WQAAQpYC

Bentley and Mills should NOT be playing more snaps than Van Noy, Philips, and Jonathan Jones.

No, I'm pointing out the the most coached drives of any football game are the first and last of the halves, and that those drives are where the Dolphins scored their points. I wasn't going to point to the whole game, because I considered that to be patently obvious. Or, to put it another way:

"OMG! The Bucs had 11 penalties and 4 turnovers! Bruce Arians sucks! That team has no coach!" has magically morphed into "I know that the team got scored on in all 3 coaching drives, and I know they had 4 fumbles and 8 penalties, but that's on the players, not the coaches!".

You're being that guy.
Those are the most scripted drives. Coaches still adjust the play calling on every drive after that. You’re still not doing a very effective job of establishing a case that the Patriots got out-coached in this one. The example is even worse.

Those are the most scripted drives. Coaches still adjust the play calling on every drive after that. You’re still not doing a very effective job of establishing a case that the Patriots got out-coached in this one. The example is even worse.
Nah, I've already kicked the **** out of your argument. This is just you having been shot, and you're body not quite realizing it's dead.

I mean, the moment you posted

At the same time, you’re ignoring the fact that the team who supposedly got out-coached was driving for the score and about to take the lead before Harris fumbled.

you committed argument suicide.

We always play poorly at Miami. It's not a big surprise that we lost. Rather it was the way it happened. It felt like Mac Jones was making a drive for a comeback score, but then Damien Harries fumbles inside the 10 yard line. Big OOPSIE!

Growing Pains. Don't expect Mac Jones to be a stud straight away. Believe it or not he's still a rookie. There's still a part of me that wonders do we win this game if Cam Newton starts. But we cut ties, possibly to take away pressure from results like today, so obviously we are taking chances with the youngster, and let what happens, happen.
Let me save you some wondering. Pats lose worse with Cam.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back