PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

To me, looking at that, Meyers has to catch the ball and I love Meyers, but on a 3rd down play he can't drop it. That ball is very catchable.

meyers is serviceable but not a game changer or impact player

I am not excusing the points, but that explains why they allowed points on those drives and not any other drive other than one.
I'm going to have to go back and look - did the Dolphins come out with an entirely different/new script to start the second half (I think it was no huddle to start the first...) basically "countering" any adjustments made to how they played in the first?

meyers is serviceable but not a game changer or impact player
It's been interesting seeing the post game discussion around here. The fact that Meyers was the #1 receiver in terms of snaps has been, unless I missed something, completely ignored.

That doesn’t really mean they got out-coached, though. I’m one of the first guys who will be critical of BB, win or lose. But the Patriots just about dominated Miami in every single statistical category. Self-inflicted errors like fumbling the ball and 85 yards of penalties doomed them.

It looked like Miami knew the Pats defense tendency on opening drives knowing they were going to play off the LOS and exploited them with a quick passing. I wouldn't go far to say the Pats got outcoached all game, but Flores definitely exploited that particular tendency.

Could you provide any specifics? If you mean the inability to seal on running toss plays by both the LT, TE and WRs...I'm with you. Those were losses the majority of the time, but as far as pass protection - I don't recall particularly onerous play from Wynn and Onwenu and the following says similar:

Offensive Line​

Trent Brown left the game after seven snaps and did not return, which left his replacement, Justin Herron, in a tough spot. Herron started the rest of the game at right tackle, allowing three pressures and earning a 37.5 pass-blocking grade. The rest of the offensive line played admirably, not allowing a sack and helping the running backs achieve 44 yards before contact.

I think the OL issues can be corrected, as we know these guys are capable. I am not sold on Bentley (lack of speed) or Mills/Williams on the perimeter. Gonna see those slants until we can get bodies in front of them. But allowing 17 points should be good enough (without the penalties and TOs). These should also be correctable.

Last edited:
That's coaching.
Let’s hash this out a bit - do you think teams that allow scores on the opening drives of each half, regardless of whether they win or lose, get out-coached. Or is this stance just a singular case?

Let’s hash this out a bit - do you think teams that allow scores on the opening drives of each half, regardless of whether they win or lose, get out-coached. Or is this stance just a singular case?
I think that it was obviously a coaching issue in this game. I think it's often a coaching issue, though not always. As Rob noted, this is sort of a S.O.P. thing with the Patriots. Strategy falls under coaching.

And I find it amusing that the "Tua sucks!" arguments disappear in order to defend the Patriots coaching and defense, both, in this game.

"Tua sucks!" but he scored on his team's first/last (a/ka 2 minute)/first drives of the game.
"Tuia sucks!" but it was the Patriots defense getting the team in position for Harris to fumble.

They went with 3 RBs, even though one of them was a rookie in his first game, then gave the rookie only 5 snaps. Is that on the players, or the coach?

They went with 3 RBs, even though one of them was a rookie in his first game, then gave the rookie only 5 snaps. Is that on the players, or the coach?
Why would you give the rookie more snaps?
You are arguing for the sake of arguing.

I think that it was obviously a coaching issue in this game. I think it's often a coaching issue, though not always.

Okay. At what point is it NOT a coaching issue?

One of those snaps saw the rook get blown up in pass pro. The end result was the QB taking a knee shot. He was called for a fumble on another snap. Bad coaching would have been leaving him in there

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back