PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Vikings beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory the D did it's job. Going in MN averaged 23 offensive points and they scored 26. They ave 338ypg and they had 358. They shut down the run. Could have been better. Could have been worse.

Yea the drive to the 20 was decent but not successful. Goota dig deep and make plays.
Kind of glad personally the D kind of played the way they did.. as judon said they want to get that bad taste out thier mouth.. hope that starts with forcing an actual punt this time!

Nah, simply disagreeing with you doesn't make anyone a troll. I'm surprised that as a former coach you find excuse making over calls by the officials a valid argument. If you live in the past, you die in the present. The entire 4th Qtr was available for a comeback TD drive to tie the game. I like that Mac (also a troll?) didn't make any excuses:

“We’ve got to move on from that play and play the rest of the game,” Patriots quarterback Mac Jones said. “There was plenty of time left, and there was other times we could have punched it in and that wouldn’t have even been an issue.”

Pats had 3 drives in the 4th north of the 2 min. warning. The inability to score any points is what lost us the game. No excuses.

View attachment 47677

Troll with an agenda playing innocent, that's really cute. Then you proceed to insult a guy who played the game at a high level, coached it and possesses more football knowledge than you'll muster the rest of your life. ;)

Troll with an agenda playing innocent, that's really cute. Then you proceed to insult a guy who played the game at a high level, coached it and possesses more football knowledge than you'll muster the rest of your life. ;)
When you can’t find anything wrong with the argument, attack the poster. He’s right.

What is really an epic display of stupidity is the "b-b-but the 2nd half against the Bears" crowd.

Zappe has played in two games where he was the starting QB when it matters, during the week of practice before the game. In those two games, he was very good. Against the Bears, he was good until he wasn't good. Would all the practice reps and game planning have made a difference? I don't know.

If you want to make a declarative statement on Zappe as a QB on one half when he wasn't even getting 1st team reps, then how do you still have hope for Mac after the many halves of shyt shows he has produced?

B-b-but Browns and Lions D! Vikings D is as bad if not worse.

I would have loved to see how Zappe looked against the Colts and JetsX2 with first team reps. It didn't happen. Now, I want to see Mac go on a roll against the weaker D's on the latter part of this schedule. Hopefully, he builds on last game.

Bears 2nd half! Pfft. Shall we list all of Mac's shytty halves too?
Agreed, the only thing worse are all of the sexual intellectuals who think that they are smarter than BB and want to turn the Pats into the Carolina Panthers north or the Colts where the QB is always in flux. FFS NO ONE knows if Zappe or Mac can do the job at this point, we have to let the situation play out.

If you take out the stupid running into the punter and no holding flag on the return, the defense only gave up 19 points

When you can’t find anything wrong with the argument, attack the poster. He’s right.
That's all Tool has. Constantly attacking posters that don't follow the team '"exactly" the way he feels they should. If he doesn't parrot Bedard, he parrots Orlavsky. Aside from his boorish Jete thread he offers nothing to the forum. How many times do we have to hear he's a 28 year season ticket holder. Lol, ok man, you're the shyt. What a tool.

@Kontradiction what do you think of this play? It looks like it was designed to free up Henry.

I agree , but the coverages on defense I don't get.. Dugger on hockenson, supposedly JJ was double covered.. Wilson or peppers are better coverage safeties than Dugger.. Gilmore would have never allowed those long completions..

However, maybe it's good thing defense got a bit humbled.. maybe they'll show some pride and force Buffalo to punt at least once!

Duggar is better in coverage than Wilson and Peppers. Duggar fell down on one TD, that does not make him bad in coverage. Where has Peppers ever been in coverage at the Pats or Giants? Wilson in pass coverage on TEs? Where have you seen Wilson and Peppers in TE pass coverage?

Gilmore would not have allowed those completions, like 3 years ago. Have you missed Gilmore on the Colts this year giving up game winning TDs?

I agree that it would be good to have Chung back (the 2017 or 2018 version), and Gilmore back (the 2019 version), but those guys are not walking through the door. The Pats D is not the issue.

That's all Tool has. Constantly attacking posters that don't follow the team '"exactly" the way he feels they should. If he doesn't parrot Bedard, he parrots Orlavsky. Aside from his boorish Jete thread he offers nothing to the forum. How many times do we have to hear he's a 28 year season ticket holder. Lol, ok man, you're the shyt. What a tool.

More snarky B.S. from the Veneclown. If you want to see a REAL "tool," consult the nearest mirror. Criticizing the team from deserved angles is all well and good, incessant agenda-driven trolling served with a side-dish of disrespect isn't.

@patfanken has you pegged, no denying the obvious.

Last edited:
@Kontradiction what do you think of this play? It looks like it was designed to free up Henry.

Agholor is matched up 1-on-1 with the Vikings' weakest DB (that is how the Vikings's pass defense developed) and the pass is perfect. The throw "under the coverage" to Henry might have been successful - it was a 4th down and Henry will have to break a tackle to make the 1st down marker (the defender covering Myers). I think the throw to Agholor was the right decision. Throwing to Henry is a 2nd guess with hindsight. It is good Mac pushed the ball down the field, and Agholor blew it.

Where is the insult there? @venecol disagreed with Ken while acknowledging his exceptional football resume'. It seemed pretty respectful. If people here disagree with BB, I think it's ok to disagree with Ken.

That looks like 2-Read (a hybrid of Cover-2 and Cover-4), so they probably were not expecting a Scissors concept from the offense, and they really didn’t get one. It’s impossible for me to know whether it was designed to free up Henry because I don’t know what Mac’s progressions were on the play, but that coverage is susceptible to the post simply because the vert routes force the corners into man coverage.

Henry had room to run and would have easily moved the chains, but it’s hard to fault Mac too much for that one because he DID have Agholor open, but Agholor quit on the route. Tough call to make, but I would guess that Henry would have been either 2 or 3 in his progression.

@BaconGrundleCandy what do you think? EDIT: @jays52 feel free to weight in as well.

Last edited:
Can you direct me to a Zappe "NFL big boy" throw? I love Zappe's pocket presence and game approach, I just don't see an NFL arm. Like Heinicke.

Mac has shown me more big boy arm moments. Absolutely with you.

Going by memory because I am too lazy to look back (and have to pretend to be interested in conversation at the in-laws today). Maybe someone else can post.

Cleveland game, 4th quarter pass to Tyquan stands out, though the pocket presence and movement may have been more impressive than the pass itself. Brady like pocket movement. I really want to see that from Mac. This is where Zappe is undoubtedly better than Mac.

Also Cleveland game, I recall two outs to Jakobi that had nice zip to them. Both were in the 20-25 yard range, I believe.

If I am mis-remembering these, I ask that some kunt doesn't come Rob me of my happy day and call me a liar. Going strictly by memory.

Dare I say Roquan Smith? Draft and sign a couple of Tackles and get another explosive WR. Next year should be a contending year. Third year QB back to back solid draft classes now all veterans. 2nd most FA money/cap space and only three real glaring needs OL (tackles assuming Strange progresses as one should expect) WR and an ILB.

Oh and a real deal OC. I blame Patricia for that bonehead slide instead of throwing it away. Unless Mac just lost his brain, Patricia should have emphasized the clock and to throw it away if there is not a play to be made quickly.
Agree, if you look back, we actually even did well with the 2020 draft, so it's been 3 classes in a row. Dugger, Onwenu, Uche and Jennings.

I like Thornton but not where the Pats took him. He had Third Rounder written all over him.
He wouldn't have made it to the 3rd round.

More than the Patriots were high on him; we jumped Pittsburgh. Guess what? Pittsburgh WR Coach is the former Baylor coach that developed Tyquan.

This is why Belichick jumped to get him.

That looks like 2-Read (a hybrid of Cover-2 and Cover-4), so they probably were not expecting a Scissors concept from the offense, and they really didn’t get one. It’s impossible for me to know whether it was designed to free up Henry because I don’t know what Mac’s progressions were on the play, but that coverage is susceptible to the post simply because the vert routes force the corners into man coverage.

Henry had room to run and would have easily moved the chains, but it’s hard to fault Mac too much for that one because he DID have Agholor open, but Agholor quit on the route. Tough call to make, but I would guess that Henry would have been either 2 or 3 in his progression.

@BaconGrundleCandy what do you think? EDIT: @jays52 feel free to weight in as well.
I know you don't like him, but this from Lazar (calls it a prayer):

The fourth down prayer to Nelson Agholor was against cover-six, where the corner had outside position. He wasn't really open. I get why some feel he gave up on the route, and he has these moments too often. Frustrating because he does get separation.

@upstater1 called this one pre-game:

Lazar: "Hate harping on coverage at linebacker. But Bentley and Tavai got exposed in the middle of the field. They need to play the safeties at linebacker against Buffalo and hope the D-Line holds up against the run."

This is so ridiculous. The people who are openly rooting for Mac to fail are frustrating. He could have scored on that last drive, forced overtime, and if Minnesota had won the toss and scored a TD to end it, people would still be killing him. It’s just aggravating and it’s sad that we’ve shifted away from rooting for a team and we’re now split on players.

This feels a little close to real life at times, which definitely sucks some of the fun out of things. And like I said before, even if Zappe plays and struggles (which already happened), the story would shift toward the team sucks, Patricia sucks, etc, which is something those same people rooting for Mac (and the team) get called out for.

This is just an irritating situation, and it’s going to make this last month that much tougher because we’ve got a rough road ahead. I just can’t believe this is where we’re at…but "it is what it is" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On that amazing 4th QTR that Tool is so proud of:

New England's offense, which was good most of the night and playing a different sport than last week, managed just 58 yards on their final 13 real plays, with 40 of those yards coming from one screen to Rhamondre Stevenson. Two punts and a turnover on downs on three fourth-quarter drives (excluding the last-gasp final possession).

In the first three quarters, the Patriots offense generated +0.32 expected points added, but that fell off to -0.35 EPA per play in the final quarter. Yes, Hunter Henry caught the ball, which would've given them a red-zone score. But the Pats were 0-3 in the red zone and 3-10 on third down. Just ask the head coach about his offense's performance.

"Good at times, three-for-10 on 3rd down. Not really good enough. Couldn't get the ball in the red area on a couple drives. Room for improvement," Belichick said of his offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes