PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Vikings beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time in red zone:

View attachment 47656

How's that a Mac thing? What volumes does it speak?
It really is bizarre to hold 2 runs that ended up 3rd and 15 is somehow held against Mac.

Even the announcers said you don't try to hame it into the end zone on 3rd and long in the end zone.

Zappe should probably figure out how to get the ball past the other team's DL first if he wants to stay in the NFL.
Before the Thanksgiving game, Bailey Zappe had more TD passes 5 than Mac Jones 4 in fewer starts.

It's alarming that our starting QB, Mac Jones can't read defenses when all they are doing is shifting between Cover-1 and Cover-3. Normally one might say a young QB could be 'coached up' and improved but look at who's coaching him! :poop:

Mac Jones continues to regress. He continues to lose his cool in big moments. And let's say for argument sake that you call Sunday's game, Mac's "best ever". He still came up SHORT. When the defense needed to get help from the offense, Mac Jones came up small in the game's biggest moments. Perhaps it's time for a change. Hint to BB: Zappe is still on the roster.
How can you claim he “continues” to regress when he just played one of if not his best game in the NFL to date?

completion % is pretty meaningless if you can not score in the red zone

Pats are 31st out of 32 teams in the NFL in red zone touchdowns. That is the most important stat for an offense and the Pats and Mac have been abysmal
Mac Jones fluffed his stats in the Thanksgiving game.

Sure he had his highest yardage output yet, but when it came to Red Zone opportunities, the Mac Jones/Matt Patricia combo again failed to come through. When you score FGs instead of touchdowns when you're in prime field position, you end up losing the game.

You've also got to remember that a good chunk of Mac's total yards are 'empty calories'. The Vikings defense was playing deep and allowing completions in the middle of the field, all they had to do was run out the clock. Mac Jones final throw of the game is emblamatic of those empty calories. He knew they had zero timeouts left but he still uncorked a deep throw in the middle of the field to 'pad those stats' even though he had to know it was a losing play. You need to throw sideline patterns that give a receiver a chance to step out of bounds and freeze the clock in that scenario.

It really is bizarre to hold 2 runs that ended up 3rd and 15 is somehow held against Mac.

Even the announcers said you don't try to hame it into the end zone on 3rd and long in the end zone.

Once a narrative is embedded in someone's mind, it's tough for outsiders to undo. It usually takes some kind of "come to Jesus" moment for the affected person to smarten up. We see that in politics, love, business, etc...

Thornton had 0 receptions for 0 yards against Minnesota and made me question whether he was even active on game day.
If Patricia can’t get the rookie involved with the subpar Vikings defense, one can ask when will it ever occur? Next season? Or when there’s another OC?

Sure he had his highest yardage output yet, but when it came to Red Zone opportunities, the Mac Jones/Matt Patricia combo again failed to come through. When you score FGs instead of touchdowns when you're in prime field position, you end up losing the game.

You've also got to remember that a good chunk of Mac's total yards are 'empty calories'. The Vikings defense was playing deep and allowing completions in the middle of the field, all they had to do was run out the clock. Mac Jones final throw of the game is emblamatic of those empty calories. He knew they had zero timeouts left but he still uncorked a deep throw in the middle of the field to 'pad those stats' even though he had to know it was a losing play. You need to throw sideline patterns that give a receiver a chance to step out of bounds and freeze the clock in that scenario.

That's such a ridiculous post that you should actually feel shame to have made it.

If Patricia can’t get the rookie involved with the subpar Vikings defense, one can ask when will it ever occur? Next season? Or when there’s another OC?
Oh, I know, I know, I know!!!

Answer: when there’s another OC.

I like Tony Dingy but what was all that on the use of timeouts.

Him and Garrett must have had too much fruitcake. How does it matter whether BB calls 1 of his 2 timeouts on 1st down like Dingy said or 2nd down? BB only had 2 timeouts and 1 timeout is reserved for 3rd down.

Well I Don’t like Dingy Tony, but he’s 100% correct here: under those circumstances, you ALWAYS use your timeouts after 1st & 2nd downs, obviously.

Not talking about this drive, it's all season. Taking sacs instead of throwing the ball away, tipping plays to defense, staring down receivers, bad pocket awareness, inability or unwillingness to qb sneak or bootleg for example. The biggest thing is lack of talent at key positions and bad coaching. But when you are 31st out of 32 and even the jets are better...everyone bears some responsibility.
If the problems are from a lack of talent then the person who chose that talent is responsible.
If the talent is there it's the players and/or coaches who are responsible.

He reverted back to Bad Mac in the 2nd half.

Dink and Dunk throws that gain 3 yards on 3rd and 7.

Yep, 3 yards on 3rd/7 to dudes who are covered so there’s zero YAC… Gutless ****ing quarter-backing right there…

I think Mac played not great, but very well last night. When talking about why we lost, he should be very near the bottom of the list. We can still talk about things that need improvement, though, like throwing the ball away instead of taking bad sacks. I also agree that the coaching staff should work with him on staying more composed and having a "on to the next play" attitude. Also, my personal petty gripe is I wish he would stop pointing at his receiver in the area for 5 seconds when he does throw the ball away lol.

Redzone issues have a ton of reasons behind them. I still can't get over that damn reverse we ran early on inside the 20. Smh.

That's such a ridiculous post that you should actually feel shame to have made it.

I've come to realize that expecting folks to acknowledge that the very multivariate nature of a game that has 52 players on each team, three different "units" with a litany of position titles, alongside a staff of equal multivariate nature - and uses a ****ing oblong shaped ball nonetheless - necessitates an analysis that is nuanced and is informed by the confluence of the sheer amount of variables, is a futile expectation.

Because it isn't satisfying (I guess? I don't know) to have your answer be "well it's a little bit of everything and then a lot of **** to which we're not privy, and to prescribe the woes of everything to one player or one player and a coach, requires some ass backwards thinking and mental gymnastics" - and much easier/satisfying to be like "**** Matt/Mac/Belichick/Daniels/Brady" in the singular. I'll admit, even I fall to this trapping sometime. It's why I'll never really give a lot of input right after a loss. Way more liable to say "IT'S ALL MAC'S FAULT" lol.

Are you serious?

He was throwing at the end of the game to pad stats?

When we were behind by one score?

This doesn't strike you as absurd?

If the problems are from a lack of talent then the person who chose that talent is responsible.
If the talent is there it's the players and/or coaches who are responsible.
Like all NFL teams, this one is not complete. It has weaknesses. This isn't a mystery. The team is talented all over the field EXCEPT for OL and LB.

Guess what? They are going to focus on bringing in OL and LBs this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes