PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Vikings beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand trolling, but what is it like to be an anti-fan that focuses their energy on hating their home team? I don't understand the appeal of that at all...
When the product stinks we're allowed to say so, no? Let's say you go to your favorite restaurant and the meal is bad. Are you not allowed to criticize it because it's your favorite restaurant?

Yeah, not getting him involved in the passing game was a Matt Patricia mistake.

Notice how well the Vikings incorporated their new TE they got from the Lions?

We’re still waiting for that with Jonuu Smith.

Mac jones misses open guys all the time. But if Thornton had really been wide open he'd have more than 0 catches and 0 yards. Are we ready to say he's a bust yet? Patriots whiff on yet another highly drafted WR, not that surprising really.
No we're not ready to say TT is a bust yet, but knock yourself out. I hear there's some Hall of Fame of Giving Up Fastest somewhere in New England these days, don't let the other lemmings get ahead of you.

Between these 2 comments though I think we can see one of the problems... especially if combined with the 5 guys, 60+ yards stat from last night (a positive reflection).

To wit: everybody can't be "the guy" every game. There have been fewer balls to go around in many games. In this game, there were lots of them, and Mac was hitting the open guy... but between him, our O Line, and our coaches (however the blame game is being played that day,) somehow a rule has evolved, as I saw it phrased on here this week, that only one tight end can be a threat at a time.

I mean, okay. That said you look at the track team that was out there yesterday (the Meyers injury probably intensified this aspect,) it seems like 2 tight ends having big nights was an unlikely outcome. We got more out of H Henry than the Vikings got out of Hochenson though, so I don't understand the comparison there.

So all that said, Mac in a Slump isn't going to be the friend of proving out the value of two tight ends and a bevy of "number two" wideouts. If it were an elite QB on the way to a monster year, maybe. Maybe if he builds on last night, Mac10 looks more like that again by end of season. And yeah, I would love to see Tyquan come back off the milk carton in that development.

While I am/continue to be a Mac believer - I must admit those citing the Viking secondary do have a point as a main reason for the improved passing stats last night. Earlier this year or even last year there were some comparisons of Mac to Cousins and I fear that another consideration may have played a part with Mac’s passing last night . - GULP - could the domed stadium and perfect passing conditions helped that beleaguered right arm of our young QB? Since the 34 year old Cousins is one of the best. “Domed” throwers, I hope we don’t regret the renovation project at Gillette do he’s not include a dome! *But*, Heaven forbid, if we do have a “Dome QB” on our hands, might I suggest an off season trade of Mac & any 3 of our current receivers (tight ends included) for that guy Justin Jefferson??!!
Or change Gillette to a domed Stadium

Who do you think we should replace him with ?
Dunno. That's for the front office to scout and recruit. There are a lot of young coaches out there that are having an impact on the league right now or older guys like Dabol in NY.

I’m just happy the OL did much better this game and Mac improved. Just like the past few years the D gets exposed later on. Supposedly a very good D gets beat by…Kirk Cousins. THAT is the worst part of this loss imo. But hey we shut out Wilson…

Therefore answering the question whether "bunch of number twos" is a strategy or an outcome.
Its an outcome. #1s do not fall out of trees. Have to get lucky in draft or take a risk with a trade.
Amazing the year they drafted Harry, somehow they picked the only bust out of the top tier of receivers

Dunno. That's for the front office to scout and recruit. There are a lot of young coaches out there that are having an impact on the league right now or older guys like Dabol in NY.

Not sure bill needs to go but he needs to fill the coaching staff with young up and coming minds.

Not shoving retreads like Patricia/judge into OC roles they have never done before just because they are yes men.

Watch the All-22 Thornton gets open. He just hasn't been Jones 1st or 2nd read and with how the OL has played the few weeks before last night Jones hasn't been able to get to that.

Thornton should have had a TD against the colts but Jones overthrew him

Do you have a readily accessible source for the all-22?

While I am/continue to be a Mac believer - I must admit those citing the Viking secondary do have a point as a main reason for the improved passing stats last night. Earlier this year or even last year there were some comparisons of Mac to Cousins and I fear that another consideration may have played a part with Mac’s passing last night . - GULP - could the domed stadium and perfect passing conditions helped that beleaguered right arm of our young QB? Since the 34 year old Cousins is one of the best. “Domed” throwers, I hope we don’t regret the renovation project at Gillette do he’s not include a dome! *But*, Heaven forbid, if we do have a “Dome QB” on our hands, might I suggest an off season trade of Mac & any 3 of our current receivers (tight ends included) for that guy Justin Jefferson??!!

Football is a simple game. If receivers get open/OL blocks the QB looks good. If they don't QB looks bad. Last night receivers got open and OL blocked. Against the Jets our mid receivers didn't get open and Mac had less than 2 seconds to throw. See Brady 2019 and this year. Or Aaron Rodgers this year. Or Kirk cousins last week against the cowboys vs this week
Bingo

This team is damn good. 2001 Pats/ Tuna Giants good. There really weren't any Beast like players on those offense where you had to stop that guy to win. It was a team effort. Stevenson is the best player on this offense. If he was a sole RB on another team, everyone would know who he is.

This isn't the argument to make when the QB has 382 yards and 2 tds. I think teams were 170-0 when the offense played like they did yesterday. I know you hate Mac and are trying to somehow say this loss is on him. But this loss is mainly on the defense and special teams.

Save that argument if he had a subpar game.

Last edited:
Not sure bill needs to go but he needs to fill the coaching staff with young up and coming minds.

Not shoving retreads like Patricia/judge into OC roles they have never done before just because they are yes men.
He's talking about a replacement for BB.

The fundamental problems with this team these last 2 years has been dumb penalties, smart situational football and mental toughness. Talent sure but they've had worse. This was a playoff team last year and has enough to get there again.

Once the HH call went the other way they didn't have a good drive the rest of the game

Once the RIK penalty happened the D folded like a tent and they let MN go right down the field.

That is not good.

I still think Bill is one of the top 5 coaches in the league but what made him the GOAT was minimizing the above through discipline, drills, practice and coaching (coaching the coaches as well).

I am concerned that at 70, he is becoming mortal and it happens to every single coach in their mid/late 60s...Noll, Landry, Shula, Brown, etc.

He's talking about a replacement for BB.

I understand. I'm just saying I don't think bill needs to go necessarily. But he needs to surround himself with up and coming coaching talent.

This team has the worst coaching staff in The league imo and it shows week in and week out with the penalties, poor play from OL, offense, defense etc. Just undisciplined and no wrinkles to it.

The fundamental problems with this team these last 2 years has been dumb penalties, smart situational football and mental toughness. Talent sure but they've had worse. This was a playoff team last year and has enough to get there again.

Once the HH call went the other way they didn't have a good drive the rest of the game

Once the RIK penalty happened the D folded like a tent and they let MN go right down the field.

That is not good.

I still think Bill is one of the top 5 coaches in the league but what made him the GOAT was minimizing the above through discipline, drills, practice and coaching (coaching the coaches as well).

I am concerned that at 70, he is becoming mortal and it happens to every single coach in their mid/late 60s...Noll, Landry, Shula, Brown, etc.
The defense was always going to have a tough time, but the penalty on the punt would tend to sap their confidence.

I would say the drive into the Vikings 20 area with under a minute to go was a good drive. If we were only going for a FG there it would've been even more successful, but we were TD or bust, which is harder.

I understand. I'm just saying I don't think bill needs to go necessarily. But he needs to surround himself with up and coming coaching talent.

This team has the worst coaching staff in The league imo and it shows week in and week out with the penalties, poor play from OL, offense, defense etc. Just undisciplined and no wrinkles to it.
What up and coming coaching talent?

All over the league we see former wonderkids struggling badly because they don't have an OL.

McVay, Kingsbury, Shanahan, Staley, Saleh, Reich, Hackett, LaFleur, etc. There are a lot of struggling young coaches out there. In Buffalo, they are criticizing Dorsey heavily, they want him out.

I don't think any of these guys I mentioned know more about football than BB. Now, I have been very critical of Patricia, and he may not be built for this. But I seriously doubt that there is such a thing as "up and coming" coaching talent that will cure what ails this team. They'd likely be even more successful with a guy in his mid 50s who has seen a few things in his football life. Just bring in a competent OC. That's all we need.

That is not good.

The mistakes that this team makes are not because of coaching.

Lack of talent at QB is a huge drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye