PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Vikings beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment which you quoted was not directed at you RF, but to one of our moderators... Sorry for the confusion.
Oh ok no problem at all ! Last week we were in the post season, this week we are out.. I think at this point, if we loose to Buffalo and drop to 6-6 it's pretty much over.. if The offense can build on the Vikings game as they should have plenty of confidence now.. I still don't know what to characterize this season as other than a regression, now if a miracle somehow happens and we get in.. then things of course can change.. however we must think the krafts are watching very closely

This year has always been about next year.
Agreed
The season will be successful if the team closes with some momentum and Mac establishes himself as a QB who can win without relying on a super conservative game plan.
Agreed. Stated differently, if Mac can start to process through his reads at all three levels on the field and maintain his high completion %.
BB can then use the draft and cap space to reinforce the roster.
Agreed. BB usually uses the cap space well.
Worst case the jury is still out at QB, even if the team sneaks into the playoffs.
I know what you mean, but "worst case" and "into the playoffs" do not belong in the same sentence.

Agreed

Agreed. Stated differently, if Mac can start to process through his reads at all three levels on the field and maintain his high completion %.

Agreed. BB usually uses the cap space well.

I know what you mean, but "worst case" and "into the playoffs" do not belong in the same sentence.

I think the poster you're quoting meant to say "best case the jury is out even if they sneak into the playoffs". Meaning, even under ideal circumstances where the team makes the postseason, there is some fundamental '?' about the quarterback position. You're right - getting into the playoffs can never be a worst case.

thamk you Messrs. Webster & Miriam...don't think I could have made it through the day without clearing this "case" issue up...

I think the poster you're quoting meant to say "best case the jury is out even if they sneak into the playoffs". Meaning, even under ideal circumstances where the team makes the postseason, there is some fundamental '?' about the quarterback position. You're right - getting into the playoffs can never be a worst case.
You are correct, getting into the playoffs is not the problem. As we saw last year, getting into the playoffs is much different than competing for the championship. Having another year where there is no certainty around the QB would make this year a lost opportunity.

Do you think we can get Jonuu Smith involved in the offense? Didn’t we pay a lot to get him?

Mac needs a break from the Zap crap, just like we do here.
Zap crap?

I wonder what the Jets would give for Bailey Zappe. They have Lucifer child and Flacco.

Probably a first-rounder.

Zap crap?

I wonder what the Jets would give for Bailey Zappe. They have Lucifer child and Flacco.

Even the Jets aren't dumb enough to give the Pats a 1st round pick for a rookie QB drafted in the 4th round.

White actually looked okay for the Jets yesterday, but then he was facing the Bears (Monsters of the Midway my ***).

Do you think we can get Jonuu Smith involved in the offense? Didn’t we pay a lot to get him?
Sounds like every week I ask the same questions, can HH get involved? Can smith get involved? It's like what ever happened to what's best for the team! Around the league I see TEs making plays seemingly each week.. every team except us.. I'm sure RKK has buyers remorse.

Go back and look at the March 2022 interview with RKK at the NFL owners meeting it's very telling...

You are correct, getting into the playoffs is not the problem. As we saw last year, getting into the playoffs is much different than competing for the championship. Having another year where there is no certainty around the QB would make this year a lost opportunity.
All things considered, not making the playoffs this season would be a significant regression. Made the playoffs last season with a rookie QB in wich was supposed to be a rebuilding year.. this season was supposed to be the jump, with Mac and all the free agents.. ( not judon) that hasn't happened obviously. Not saying BB is going anywhere, but what owners do is tweak things. RKK and Jonathan absolutely will have say over bills staff in the off-season they already made changes by having Groh handle alot of the drafting imput.. even great coaches have egos.. I wish the second half of this season was the 1st half.. I'd feel more optimistic

Mac threw for 382 yards this past week. 382. That's a monster game. What does it matter WHO the yards go to? What's an ideal distribution of 382 passing yards? If they get Henry and Smith more involved, then it means fewer yards for the receivers, and then we're saying, WTF happened to Bourne or Parker? Why did they disappear?

Bourne
Agholor
Parker
Meyers
Stevenson
Henry
Smith
Thornton

That's 8 guys that ought to be getting the ball. How do you divide up 382 passing yards among them? It comes to ~48 yards per person. But we know it's not going to be an even distribution. Here was the distribution in the game:

Parker - 4 rec, 80 yds
Stevenson - 9 rec, 76 yds
Agholor - 6 rec, 65 yds, 1 td
Henry - 3 rec, 63 yds, 1 td
Meyers - 3 rec, 62 yds
Bourne - 3 rec, 36 yds

So Thornton and Smith were "missing" completely. But Parker had a nice day. So did Stevenson. We'd take 6/65/1 from Agholor all the time. Henry going for 63 yds and a TD (and had another taken away) is solid. Meyers actually had a "down" day for him, but are we complaining about that? Bourne didn't do that much, so we could point to that. But if he had more receptions and yards, who has a reduced role?

There's only one ball to go around. 382 yards is a huge passing game. Who should get LESS? What's the ideal distribution?

Mac threw for 382 yards this past week. 382. That's a monster game. What does it matter WHO the yards go to? What's an ideal distribution of 382 passing yards? If they get Henry and Smith more involved, then it means fewer yards for the receivers, and then we're saying, WTF happened to Bourne or Parker? Why did they disappear?

Bourne
Agholor
Parker
Meyers
Stevenson
Henry
Smith
Thornton

That's 8 guys that ought to be getting the ball. How do you divide up 382 passing yards among them? It comes to ~48 yards per person. But we know it's not going to be an even distribution. Here was the distribution in the game:

Parker - 4 rec, 80 yds
Stevenson - 9 rec, 76 yds
Agholor - 6 rec, 65 yds, 1 td
Henry - 3 rec, 63 yds, 1 td
Meyers - 3 rec, 62 yds
Bourne - 3 rec, 36 yds

So Thornton and Smith were "missing" completely. But Parker had a nice day. So did Stevenson. We'd take 6/65/1 from Agholor all the time. Henry going for 63 yds and a TD (and had another taken away) is solid. Meyers actually had a "down" day for him, but are we complaining about that? Bourne didn't do that much, so we could point to that. But if he had more receptions and yards, who has a reduced role?

There's only one ball to go around. 382 yards is a huge passing game. Who should get LESS? What's the ideal distribution?
That's some dam good research ! Well put pin point accuracy! Thornton's progress like everyone else on offense has been affected by the dysfunction on offense for most of the season.. however the Vikings game could be the confidence the offense needed to make a run somehow.. Thornton is the guy who could unlock the entire offense.. he's right under hill as far as elite speed..

All things considered, not making the playoffs this season would be a significant regression. Made the playoffs last season with a rookie QB in wich was supposed to be a rebuilding year.. this season was supposed to be the jump, with Mac and all the free agents.. ( not judon) that hasn't happened obviously. Not saying BB is going anywhere, but what owners do is tweak things. RKK and Jonathan absolutely will have say over bills staff in the off-season they already made changes by having Groh handle alot of the drafting imput.. even great coaches have egos.. I wish the second half of this season was the 1st half.. I'd feel more optimistic
That is a fair assessment on a season over season assessment. The caveat is that the competition is much tougher this year.

That is a fair assessment on a season over season assessment. The caveat is that the competition is much tougher this year.
Absolutely without a doubt, the defense has been superb this season, nothing against Jonathan Jones, he's played great. But with the WRs we have to see Adam's, Diggs, chase, Higgins, Waddle and hill.. that's when not having a true lock down corners
shows up..

However if somehow they win some games and the offense shows more of Minnesota then this team could be a force.. either way it's still a regression this season as everyone got worse save for judon..

Zap crap?

BB should be fired immediately if he does not accept anything better than a 3rd rounder for a Zappe trade.

Not saying BB is going anywhere, but what owners do is tweak things.
I expect Kraft to tell BB to make changes on his staff including bringing in a real OC. If you have to attract someone good by promising them the HC job when Bill hangs em up then do it.

I expect Kraft to tell BB to make changes on his staff including bringing in a real OC. If you have to attract someone good by promising them the HC job when Bill hangs em up then do it.
I feel RKK and Jonathan are already on that.. they've started with having Groh involved heavily in the draft.. but your right you need an offensive minded coach with creativity.. this season is just a flat out regression

Mac threw for 382 yards this past week. 382. That's a monster game.
Yes. But he and the play calling fizzled when they needed it most. That’s the time to get Smith involved with his elite YAC ability or Thornton the ball deep on a fake handoff to Rham. That’s why Patricia cost this game as much as officiating or mistakes by Dugger and Henry.

Yes. But he and the play calling fizzled when they needed it most. That’s the time to get Smith involved with his elite YAC ability or Thornton the ball deep on a fake handoff to Rham. That’s why Patricia cost this game as much as officiating or mistakes by Dugger and Henry.
Smith of all the off season acquisitions to Me is the biggest tease, for such a great athlete, breakaway speed, the ability to make defenders miss he isn't involved in the offense save for blocking duties. If we could really unlock his true abilities this offense could go some where..

I was encouraged by his usage out of the backfield the previous week vs the Jete... Then Thursday night happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST