PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Texans beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do have a lot of cap space this offseason. So we have that going for us.

This season was a no go before it even started. Because of Covid, Krafty Bob turned off the money spigot and said fugghedaboutit this year due to seriously decreased revenues. $1 milllion for sCam Newton tells you everything you need to know. This is a business, nothing more, nothing less. No need to get emotional about it. It is what it is.
You understand there's a salary cap, right?

If Kraft could've spent more to improve the team you can bet your ass he would've. He couldn't. The team is against the salary cap - that changes next season.

Some things I saw gave me hope. Byrd seems like a keeper. He's not a #1 but maybe he can be a solid #2 In a championship team. Not elite but servicable, provide you also have playmakers at TE and RB who catch well.

I like what I'm seeing from our RT. He's been solid. Nice pick up. Overall they simply lack too much talent and a Great QB. The only thing that can fix that is a few good drafts. As recent history shows, the #1 overall pick isn't automatically the only spot where you can get a QB. Any time in the first 20 or so picks can give you a good chance in the right year.

Right now the NFL is QB rich which works in our favor, many teams would rather not invest a top 10 pick in a QB. They either have vets they are hanging onto or young guys they hope have upside.

I can only think of 2 or 3 teams that no question would invest a lot in a QB right now.

My personal conclusion: meh. Fake season/bridge year/dynasty intermission. The Pats will be back atop the AFCE in 2021.
I’d like to believe that but it’s likely we go into 2021 with the worst qb prospects of the 4 teams. I would hope we improve our skill positions and front 7 but even with that were still looking at a 3rd place finish in the AFCE.

Cognitive dissonance. We are in a rebuild. Whether people want to admit that or not is their problem. The question is how fast will this rebuild be.

These are the problems the team has in order.

1. QB. Easily the most important piece. Even a good team will lose more often than not without a real answer here.

2. WR/TE. We just had a historic defense and the GOAT QB (who regardless of what people want to believe) and the WR/TE issue was a serious hindrance that cost them down the stretch.

3. LB's We are just flat out weak here right now and Hightower is older and missing another year is a problem I don't see being fixed right away.

We also have depth issues in our offensive line and our secondary is aging. Gilmore is going to be further in his 30's and we probably will have contract issues with him, the McCourtey's are aging and not the same, Chung will be 34 next year and like Hightower just missed a season. We also could stand to find a new kicker if we are being totally honest.

So like yeah we will get better... someday. But we could have accellerated the process it what was essentially a lost year
The historic defense was a mirage. We played a LOT of bad teams in the first half of the season. In the second half, they were garbage.

Please share where you obtained your crystal ball, I'd like to put it on my Christmas wish list.

The same crystal ball where you think this team will be atop the AFCE next year. Your prediction is FAR more out there than mine.

Looks like they’ll pick right in the middle of the draft. Don’t need a QB there, you’ll get the same quality in day 2.
Not if they don’t win any other game except maybe the Jets game…

The historic defense was a mirage. We played a LOT of bad teams in the first half of the season. In the second half, they were garbage.
That's part of it, but even if it wasn't, the defense aged up and lost pieces. So they were going to take a step back regardless.

Cognitive dissonance. We are in a rebuild. Whether people want to admit that or not is their problem. The question is how fast will this rebuild be.

These are the problems the team has in order.

1. QB. Easily the most important piece. Even a good team will lose more often than not without a real answer here.

2. WR/TE. We just had a historic defense and the GOAT QB (who regardless of what people want to believe) and the WR/TE issue was a serious hindrance that cost them down the stretch.

3. LB's We are just flat out weak here right now and Hightower is older and missing another year is a problem I don't see being fixed right away.

We also have depth issues in our offensive line and our secondary is aging. Gilmore is going to be further in his 30's and we probably will have contract issues with him, the McCourtey's are aging and not the same, Chung will be 34 next year and like Hightower just missed a season. We also could stand to find a new kicker if we are being totally honest.

So like yeah we will get better... someday. But we could have accellerated the process it what was essentially a lost year
And if we did what you wanted them to do, lose 13 straight- we would be looking for a new head coach. Without a doubt. No question about it.

Josh is next in line. Think he can take this team to a quick turnaround? LMAO

I'm honestly kind of surprised at how much of a hard time people are giving Newton. The defense was atrocious and the reason why they lost the game.
I think there's enough volume (and through his career) to see he's just not very accurate. He did complete a lot of passes today, but nothing really jumped out to me as precise, crisp, sharp or a QB capable of making accurate throws in tight windows. A lot of his passes were just hitting WR that were uncovered running wide open all over the field. The Byrd TD was putting it where the receiver needed to be, but i'm putting more on Byrd making a great play and tracking it well. Cam's arm strength has faded as well. There's no timing to this offense with him, it's just a QB dumping it off if a WR isnt streaking across the middle wide open.

Better pray Wynn is ok. RAC schooled BB. Better players but he schooled him. I still think they can beat AZ
Not sure what happened to wynn but noticed he was very slow and ineffective today… What was the injury?

The same crystal ball where you think this team will be atop the AFCE next year. Your prediction is FAR more out there than mine.
Not outlandish at all. My reason for optimism: this team has BB, ample cap space and a young core group coming into its own. They'll be OK.

They’re a team capable of stealing games like the Baltimore win. That’s why I think they need to start Stidham for the rest of the season. See what you have and if he fails, he fails. You’re not making the playoffs anyway.

Not outlandish at all. My reason for optimism: this team has BB, ample cap space and a young core group coming into its own. They'll be OK.
And very likely a third place schedule.

Offense:
OL not playing together well for some unfathomable reason
Cam cannot read a blitz to save his life
And most likely the WRs can't adjust to the blitz as outlets
Cam is Bledsoe like on short passes except Bledsoe overthrew while Cam under throws, EVERY SINGLE TIME
Josh McD is not gonna get that HC job

Defense:
I thought I liked our new safetys except none of them can cover a TE
DBs not playing together well for some unfathomable reason Coaching?
LB a glaring weakness
NO pass rush

Harry wins Goat of the game with penalties, drops and overall uselessness. Fortunately for him the entire team sucked so he stands out less.

Right now even if we won out, we would be outside the top 10. There is a 0% chance we get ahead of the Jets/Jaguars or Bengals. 2 of those teams are definitley darfting QB's. The Giants will also struggle to win games the rest of the way and our two games behind us. They will draft a QB if someone is there. This is assuming we completely lose out or only win the Jets game.

Right now I have 4 QB's that should go in the first. We probably have no shot at 3 of them even if we lose out. Anybody else is a reach. And at this point you aren't getting your choice or have flexibility.

Not sure what happened to wynn but noticed he was very slow and ineffective today… What was the injury?

He was listed with a bad ankle before the game started. Then couldn't get up in the 4th quarter. Not good. Hope he's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes